+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire safety? Welding outside?

Post Thanks / Like

Fie safety? Welding outside?

I built a small welding table for use in the backyard. Unfortunately, there are leaves, grass, etc. around the table, just ready to catch on fire.
    Beside sand , is there anything (anything temporary) I can put down to reduce the chance of catching the world on fire? - Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe a tarp?

Post Thanks / Like
    Beside sand , is there anything (anything temporary) I can put down to reduce the chance of catching the world on fire? - Mike
    I weld outside a lot. Over the years I've had a couple of near misses where I lifted my hood to see small grass/leaf fires wicking their way outward. This year we've had two welder related fires so far. Not me, but in this county

I do three things. One is mist the immediate area down prior to working. I doesn't take that much to increase the inherent moisture content of the dried vegetation. The other is always have a 'high output' sprinkler hooked up and setting right next to my work area.

The third isn't so much a "do" as it is a "don't do". Never just walk away at the end of a session and assume everything is okay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy

The third isn't so much a "do" as it is a "don't do". Never just walk away at the end of a session and assume everything is okay.
    Standard industrial practice is to maintain a fire watch for at least half an hour after work is finished.... a good excuse for a cold beer :'))

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lotechman
    Standard industrial practice is to maintain a fire watch for at least half an hour after work is finished.... a good excuse for a cold beer :'))
    YEA!

Post Thanks / Like
    I maintain a fresh 12-pack on site along with plenty of ice. If you do this and a fire breaks out, it's likely you already have a beer open and ready to pour on the fire. Frequent urination can reduce the flash point of dry grass and leaves. If a third of a beer is too small to extinguish the fire, you can dump the cooler on the fire and still drink the remaining beer afterwards. If the fire REALY gets away and you have to call the fire department, I am sure they would also appreciate the cold beer after a good workout.

Seriously, I generally have my son (or someone) in a hood standing nearby when I weld outside watching for fires. I also keep a chemical fire extinguisher on hand outdoors because they seem to work better than gas (CO2 or Argon). Fire resistant tarps and sand are good also. You can make a cotton tarp fire resistant by a chemical dip process, but I forget what it requires. Same goes for cotton clothing. Most welding books have the chemicals required. The worst fires I have started havent been leaves or grass, but oils/fuels on leaky equipment.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work on 1" limestone gravel mixed with crusher run when outside of the shop. Its really tough to light that stuff up

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fire safety? Welding outside?

Rake up the leaves. Then lightly spritz the immediate area with water. Just don't get zapped.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fie safety? Welding outside?

Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post
    I built a small welding table for use in the backyard. Unfortunately, there are leaves, grass, etc. around the table, just ready to catch on fire.
    Why not just use a lawn sprinkler in the area when you are not welding. Keeping the grass greened up will reduce the likelyhood of fires. Rake up and dispose of the leaves. You will have to mow the area more often, but fire danger is greatly decreased.
    My welding table is sitting in the yard with GREEN GRASS all around and no problem of fires.

Post Thanks / Like

The third isn't so much a "do" as it is a "don't do". Never just walk away at the end of a session and assume everything is okay.[/QUOTE]

Right on!
    An absolute must,I have a few friends who have lost vehicles and garages while rushing away to have lunch! Factor in a wait and see time to your jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep a garden hose and a pressurized water extinguisher handy, and I don't hesitate to drench the area near where I'm working. After I'm done, I hose the area where slag may have landed from cutting or welding.

I rake up leaves and kill vegetation near my work area. The water extinguisher is loaded with vegetation killer since it's my yard sprayer too.

Post Thanks / Like

Plywood is quick and temp that can be laided down and is hard to catch on fire as long as it's in decent shape.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

Water?
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Miller migs, synch 350 LX, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton Acurrpress 12' brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas. marvel & hyd-mech saws, pirrana & metal muncher punches.

Post Thanks / Like

I like smith boy's fire safety plan. I would go with that one, LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fie safety? Welding outside?

Quote Originally Posted by mhorowit View Post
    Depending on how much area you need to cover, consider using some exterior plywood, Advantek or other support backing and overlay it with cement backerboard like used in showers and wet applications (for tile work). It may be a lot of work hauling it out and hauling it back inside when finished welding, but at least it's temporary, portable and fire-resistant. Just lay it down, set up your table and weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Let it burn, all fires go out eventually
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
    Water?
    Plus one.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    Let it burn, all fires go out eventually
    That will work for sure, and next time your welding there won't be anything left to worry about burning up. Including you and the neighbors houses. Sounds easier than watering enough to green up the grass like I mentioned before.

Post Thanks / Like

Fir safety is very important while welding outside.Remove all flammable material, such as cotton, oil, gasoline, etc., from the vicinity of welding.Mark all hot metal after welding operations are completed. Soapstone is commonly used for this purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass welding blanket (also useful to keep nearby – it'll smother a small fire if you throw it over top).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    Keep an adequately sized fire extinguisher handy. If you are in a suituation that has a risk of grass fire have a hose with pressure in it handy, like a garden hose with a variable spray/stream nozzel with the faucet turned on so all you need do is pick up the nozzel end and squeeze the trigger.

NEVER try to put out a fire with a bottle, can, or glass of cold beer. Such behavior constitutes Alcohol Abuse!
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist