Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bicycle Frame

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bicycle Frame

I have been a professional production frame builder (among other things) for over 7 years, and worked on many thousands of frames (either machining tubing, welding, brazing, finishing, powdercoating, etc.). If you were to make from standard .035" 4130 tubing, it could cost anywhere from ~$80-120 for tubing (roughly). That's not counting machining for BB shells, headtubes, and dropouts. Those parts would add anywhere from around $40-300, depending on options (steel). I wouldn't build a Ti frame as your first foray. I'd build steel frames for awhile first.

As far as a jig, you could conceivably make a honeycomb core wood plate, then use that to build the rest of your jig from. That's if you were wanting to work on the cheap. You could then use some kind of alignment "stick" on each side of the frame after welding to get some idea of rough alignment.

It's well within the realm of what you can do, based on your welding picture, and a good mental exercise.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller CP-300 with 30A feeder
    Hypertherm Powermax 900
    Oxy-fuel w/Harris torches
    Scotchman Glide-in bandsaw
    Monarch 10EE lathe
    Emi-Mec Autoturn lathe
    Deckel FP2NC milling machine
    Pro-Tools 105 Bender

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just stick with buying bikes from walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart doesn't carry bicycles - just bicycle shaped objects (not the same).

Okay, that's pretty callous of me, but all those department store bikes are of such poor quality that I just can't bring myself to consider them an actual bicycle. Many of them are downright dangerous.
    Last edited by pbungum; 12-08-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller CP-300 with 30A feeder
    Hypertherm Powermax 900
    Oxy-fuel w/Harris torches
    Scotchman Glide-in bandsaw
    Monarch 10EE lathe
    Emi-Mec Autoturn lathe
    Deckel FP2NC milling machine
    Pro-Tools 105 Bender

Post Thanks / Like

I also ride bmx and while my welding skills may not compare at all to guys on this forum I do know a bit about bmx. As others have said 4130 chro-moly would be the best way to go, although (like others have already said) there is much more to frame building than just sticking tubes together. Set up is very important and geometry plays a huge role, especially when talking bmx bikes. You have to look at your bb height specs, what kind of bb fitting are you looking to make (Spanish, euro, mid), got to keep in mind the top tube height and angle, the headset angle, chainstays, seat post, 1 degree higher and you got a less responsive bike but more stability shorter chainstay you have a more responsive bike for 360s. The abuse bmx bikes take is incredible Especially now a days with all the "big riders" guys doing 360s off of 16 stair sets and what not, the last thing any rider wants is for something to malfunction while hopping over something at full speed, lots of road rash and lots of Vicodin. Speaking of which I took a pretty bad fall today keep those brain buckets up and ride on
    Last edited by aav1996; 12-08-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fifelaker View Post
    But that comes after "Hold my beer and watch this"
    I was trying to find a video for you guys about this guy who seemed to be heavily under the influence... Goes up to some kids and tells them he can do what they're doing, his beer courage came out. Goes up to a loading dock jumps off on one of their bikes and lands straight on his ***.... Poor guy probably broke his coccyx bone or something, probably too drunk to feel it. Would've been perfect for that quote, shucks you can never find things you want when you want them.

Post Thanks / Like

something like ?
    SqWave 200
    Millermatic 190
    Airco 200 AC
    Hypertherm PM45
    Boice-Crane Band Saw
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Haha yeah something like that. Thats an impressive wallride