Thread: Handling big spools

Post Thanks / Like

Handling big spools

Made this to handle a big spool with forks.

Name:  20201119_164245.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  119.9 KB

2. Likes Joegreen02, Kevin_Essiambre, davec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Handling big spools

Really nice job but I'd be afraid of the heavy rolls bending those slotted axle stubs.

I think I would have kept the axle intact and built two "U" shapes cradles to support them on top of the forks. Be easier to pick the roll up without having to align the forks through the slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Really nice job but I'd be afraid of the heavy rolls bending those slotted axle stubs.

I think I would have kept the axle intact and built two "U" shapes cradles to support them on top of the forks. Be easier to pick the roll up without having to align the forks through the slot.

I have seen quite a few 'u-cradle' or whatever U call them at the supply houses I go to... some of them look homemade some not... as long as it makes the job easier then it's a WIN!!!!

6. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

The spool I was handling here was fiber optic cable--5000' @ 600lbs. It was light enough to handle with a slit axle, the problem I had was the bulk of the spool.

I threw this together and had all the cable laid in an hour. To load and unload the spool I set the forks in front of spool and rolled it onto the forks keeping the axle slits aligned. Tightened the lock bolts, and away I went.

Heavier spools may need an uncut axle but the collars will work on any 2" pipe axle.

8. Likes Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Handling big spools

Thanks mbarasing.

I kind of assumed it must have worked okay or you would not have posted the pic.

My comment was not meant to be derogatory but more an observation as I realize how heavy some of those spools are.

Last edited by Lis2323; 5 Days Ago at 10:38 AM.
    :

10. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've done similar with a plain pipe sitting on top of the forks and a couple blocks of wood. I just tipped the forks back to hold it, but you could put stops on the front to help keep it in place also. Mine was one and done, so I kept it super simple.

Name:  Laying wire (1) (Medium).jpg
Views: 192
Size:  126.5 KB
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I've done similar with a plain pipe sitting on top of the forks and a couple blocks of wood. I just tipped the forks back to hold it, but you could put stops on the front to help keep it in place also. Mine was one and done, so I kept it super simple.
    Nice job. I had to drive the tractor up and down rock ledges to lay the fiber in the trench and it would have bounced off the forks. At least a think it would have.

13. Likes davec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    Nice job. I had to drive the tractor up and down rock ledges to lay the fiber in the trench and it would have bounced off the forks. At least a think it would have.
    Had a guy bring out 900 feet of armored 1:2:2 for a power trench I was doing few years ago had U mounts in the back of his truck... anyways he drove to the other end of the trench 'carefully' and halfway there the spool popped off one side cause he didn't have it pinned down took him half an hour to get it back on with a couple of bottle jacks and some wood planks... even these roller stands have issues when the rolls get too light to keep them in place when you're pulling 750mcm
    Name:  roller-stand1.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  102.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Had a guy bring out 900 feet of armored 1:2:2 for a power trench I was doing few years ago had U mounts in the back of his truck... anyways he drove to the other end of the trench 'carefully' and halfway there the spool popped off one side cause he didn't have it pinned down took him half an hour to get it back on with a couple of bottle jacks and some wood planks... even these roller stands have issues when the rolls get too light to keep them in place when you're pulling 750mcm
    I'm glad I don't tug much copper /aluminum wire anymore. I have more experience laying HDPE in trenches, this was my first fiber run. I opened it up and seen those little hairs inside and decided to be very careful with it even though its armored. Cut about a mile of ditch and only hit 2 telephone lines, 1 septic leech field, and secondary electric twice, but no water pipes... success!

16. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbarasing View Post
    I'm glad I don't tug much copper /aluminum wire anymore. I have more experience laying HDPE in trenches, this was my first fiber run. I opened it up and seen those little hairs inside and decided to be very careful with it even though its armored. Cut about a mile of ditch and only hit 2 telephone lines, 1 septic leech field, and secondary electric twice, but no water pipes... success!
    What!!! no primary power??? where's the excitement in that

18. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    What!!! no primary power??? where's the excitement in that
    Part of my ditch paralleled some 3 ph. primary, and out here 811 gets you nothing but a ticket number. I had a good idea of where that was and steered clear.