+ Reply to Thread
Page 482 of 682 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484492532582 ... LastLast
Results 12,026 to 12,050 of 17039

Thread: Show us what you welded today

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you welded today

Another example of custom tools being made with a CNC plasma the list gets longer everyday
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

2. Likes Joegreen02, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    It'd be my observation that thickness is less a factor than mass. I have welded 5/8 " X 2" making replacement frames for those odd looking dining chairs popular in early 1960S. The 280 did the job, but adding some helium was an amazing benefit. There wasn't much mass where the pieces joined.

The assembly pictured is going to swallow a great deal of heat because it is BIG, not because it is thick.

Thank you willie

Post Thanks / Like

It's an awful lot of metal to heat. Mine is Dynasty 280DX, I believe it's too much mass for my machine...
    I imagine the 280 is quite a bit more capable than the 200. Wouldn't mind upgrading if a deal came up.

Post Thanks / Like

Had a '5 minute weld' come up today was on another job and the guy in charge of the place asked if I'd take a look at his office railing cause we were talking about all the things we do at the warehouses... so drove a hundred feet down and saw the lower part of the 1.5 inch tube was all fractured away from the original weld to the concrete step... no problemo!!! whipped out the trusty miller 211 inverter with 030 fluxcore and gave the area a quick cosmetic grind with the 5 inch milwaukee fue grinder then pulled the trigger for about 20 seconds.... voila!!!!
    Name:  xpo-railingweld1-puyallup.JPG
Views: 821
Size:  102.1 KB

Also wirebrushed it and squirted some primer on it when done... always looks more professional

6. Likes motolife313, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried to re-thread this part. Didn't have enough depth for full thread,and didn't have enough time to machine another. Tapped in about 2 full threads(1/4-20) and tacked it together. Back on line again.

Name:  threadshaft.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  95.3 KB

Was surprised when it cracked apart, Seemed harder to drill and tap than normal. Tacked it back together with some 312, fingers crossed no call back tomorrow.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

8. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  312-313-whatever.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  68.5 KB

:d

10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The weld is harder than the source material... I hate drilling and tapping steel that has been welded. Just keep it lubed it will drill and tap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post

Also wirebrushed it and squirted some primer on it when done... always looks more professional

Also justifies the one hour "minimum"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously a concept you picked up at the t*tty bars with their "four drink minimum".

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

Also justifies the one hour "minimum"

Well..... this was more or less a freebie I was onsite all day with a concrete job anyways... waiting for mud to dry needed something to pass the time

Got back to the shop early today and we been needing a pipe rack where I keep some of the fence supplies and other pipe... so we drove in a few 2... 2-1/2 inch pieces and I cut a dozen+ chunks of toprail with a 15~ or so angle on them.. turned up the m211 to 6+ with a wfs of 60-70 and went to town!!!
    Name:  arena-piperack1.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  170.7 KB

Name:  arena-piperack2.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  156.2 KB
    Hard to tell in the pics but I went ahead and put full welds around all of them... at first I was just going to weld the top inch and the bottom inch.... but got to thinking about how much weight I'll have on each shelf 5-700 pounds.. max.
    Name:  arena-piperack3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  127.5 KB
    Also hard to see in the pics(slightly underground) but I went ahead and welded on some 'feet' for forward tipping support.. just in case

Oh... one other thing... this was a 'quickie job' so no grinding... just cut and weld that kiswel wire actually likes galvy coating
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-03-2020 at 08:24 PM.

16. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Efficient use of space!!! I like it!

:

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  312-313-whatever.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  68.5 KB

:d
    Name:  thumb_you-want-a-beer-its-7-00-in-the-morning-scotch-53331145.png
Views: 667
Size:  65.2 KB
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

20. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well..... this was more or less a freebie I was onsite all day with a concrete job anyways... waiting for mud to dry needed something to pass the time

Got back to the shop early today and we been needing a pipe rack where I keep some of the fence supplies and other pipe... so we drove in a few 2... 2-1/2 inch pieces and I cut a dozen+ chunks of toprail with a 15~ or so angle on them.. turned up the m211 to 6+ with a wfs of 60-70 and went to town!!!
    Name:  arena-piperack1.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  170.7 KB

Name:  arena-piperack2.JPG
Views: 734
Size:  156.2 KB
    Hard to tell in the pics but I went ahead and put full welds around all of them... at first I was just going to weld the top inch and the bottom inch.... but got to thinking about how much weight I'll have on each shelf 5-700 pounds.. max.
    Name:  arena-piperack3.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  127.5 KB
    Also hard to see in the pics(slightly underground) but I went ahead and welded on some 'feet' for forward tipping support.. just in case

Oh... one other thing... this was a 'quickie job' so no grinding... just cut and weld that kiswel wire actually likes galvy coating
    Oh goody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A wasp condo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Likes Mikel_24, Joegreen02, Lis2323, ronsii, 12V71, Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Oh goody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A wasp condo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOL!!!!! That's pretty much what I told the boss would happen on the last few racks I made like this... but so far none have taken up residence I think they don't like the upward slant... gets too wet or something they do however like the level ends of the pipe stored whether it be on the ground or in the air

Post Thanks / Like

Show us what you welded today

And bird nests!

Nothing like taking aluminum irrigation pipes out of storage and not flushing the lines before use with end plugs removed.

Ever tried digging a bird’s head out of a sprinkler mechanism?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

25. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    And bird nests!

Nothing like taking aluminum irrigation pipes out of storage and not flushing the lines before use with end plugs removed.

Ever tried digging a bird’s head out of a sprinkler mechanism?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah!!!! they do that to pumps we store on the north side of a building under a leanto roof... any round opening and they fill it full of chit have squirrels and chipmunks do the same if you don't cap or ducttape every opening it'll be full!!! and if you got a guy running em' that doesn't check for that kind of thing it makes a real mess when you try to dewater something... BTDT

27. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Had to do some 'farm welding' today.... it wasn't purty I should have rented a flock of pigeons and had them 'go at it'

Needed to widen a gate about 4 feet for a yard change... and just happen to have some parts gates in the scrap pile I been cleaning up
    Name:  16gate-ext1.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  130.9 KB

I don't know how thin this stuff is but I had to run about 30 percent manual pulse on the m211 set at 3 on the voltage
    Messed up a cut... so had to fill in a 1.5 inch piece... DOH!!!! you know what they say... if you can't fill a crack you can walk through then you aren't a welder
    Name:  16gate-ext2.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  58.8 KB

Hopefully the horses will make quick work of destroying it so I can get it to the scrap yard before too many people see it
    Name:  16gate-ext3.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  110.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Had to do some 'farm welding' today.... it wasn't purty I should have rented a flock of pigeons and had them 'go at it'

Needed to widen a gate about 4 feet for a yard change... and just happen to have some parts gates in the scrap pile I been cleaning up
    Name:  16gate-ext1.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  130.9 KB

I don't know how thin this stuff is but I had to run about 30 percent manual pulse on the m211 set at 3 on the voltage
    Messed up a cut... so had to fill in a 1.5 inch piece... DOH!!!! you know what they say... if you can't fill a crack you can walk through then you aren't a welder
    Name:  16gate-ext2.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  58.8 KB

Hopefully the horses will make quick work of destroying it so I can get it to the scrap yard before too many people see it
    Name:  16gate-ext3.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  110.3 KB
    I would give you an a+ on that job just for not giving up. I've welded on a few of them crappy tin gates, by the time you burn through the zinc coating there's nothing left.

CR

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    Yes that job takes over 300 amps probably without preheat. 200 with out not a chance!! The guy bumped the tungsten about 12 times too. Maybe a couple but not that many meaning he’s not very good. Failed bad on the weld on the bottom pic to the right on the tube. Adding rod before the puddle was hot enough or bad rod angle. Possibly wind but that’s a rookie doing that job
    It looks like he did corner to corner which does not require much maybe 175 amps on average. When he does the fillet it is just for the sake of laying on the bead and cosmetics. And again 175 is all you need. You do have to heat up the part with the TIG torch before you go anywhere on ice-cold material maybe 20-30 seconds, but then you are good to go. If you pump the pedal, come on and off the heat a little you can really move.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

32. Likes ezduzit, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Using a foot pedal.

So you think this will fall apart?
    It looks like you did corner to corner, so you welded it already without the inside fillet welds. TIG welding is rather amazing because it penetrates deeply into a fillet. I would only use about 175 amps to do that so I think you will be alright.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

34. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    I would give you an a+ on that job just for not giving up. I've welded on a few of them crappy tin gates, by the time you burn through the zinc coating there's nothing left.

Well at least I got a full pen weld plus the gates were powdercoated so that has it's own issues but the material was thinner than my 030 wire... so it was a bit of a challenge

36. Likes William McCormick, CrookedRoads liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It'd be my observation that thickness is less a factor than mass. I have welded 5/8 " X 2" making replacement frames for those odd looking dining chairs popular in early 1960S. The 280 did the job, but adding some helium was an amazing benefit. There wasn't much mass where the pieces joined.

The assembly pictured is going to swallow a great deal of heat because it is BIG, not because it is thick.
    The trick is not to start welding until the base metals melt together after that you can carry that hot spot anywhere as long as it is similar thickness material.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

38. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

it would never puddle at 175 amps and you would need to be on the pedal 100% or you won’t go anywhere. That’s me tho. It would even be hard to braze it with that low of amps. When I say braze I mean zero penetration, and that is what you would get using only 175 amps on such a piece of weldment
    Last edited by motolife313; 12-05-2020 at 10:15 PM.

40. Likes ronsii, ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking 30 seconds to get a puddle proves there’s not enough amps, should take 5 or less

42. Likes ezduzit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    it would never puddle at 175 amps and you would need to be on the pedal 100% or you won’t go anywhere. That’s me tho. It would even be hard to braze it with that low of amps. When I say braze I mean zero penetration, and that is what you would get using only 175 amps on such a piece of weldment

The only way to stop electricity or heat is with electricity or heat respectively. When you start off by melting the two base metals, you have created a ramping heat from hot to cold a good distance in a radius around the area. Now you just need to step that hot spot along. I welded so many feet of 1/4" aluminum boat decking with a lincoln 175 TIG that I would rather not recall it all. It is just a matter of bringing your first puddle up to a temperature where both base metals have melted together. It was a deck so the puddle could not be raised and it had to be penetrated and we did. It was easy enough to overheat it and dump wire into the very hot puddle that was sagging underneath.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

44. Likes ezduzit liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist