+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boostinjdm's Trailers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Boostinjdm's Trailers

I'm just going to dump my pics here. Attack if ya want, ask questions if ya like.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boostinjdm's Trailers

80" by 15'

Post Thanks / Like

80" by 16'

Post Thanks / Like

Dump trailer....in progress.....
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 08-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you roll the diamond plate for the fenders yourself or purchase them pre-made? I'm assuming you roll them yourself.

That dump trailer is one heavy duty sucker!!
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Post Thanks / Like

I used to prebend them around a concrete lawn roller. Now I've got a new toy, I used it to step out the fenders on the dump trailer. Someday I will get a heavy duty 18" wide slip roller made just for doing things like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the holes, you putting a scissor-type hoist in it? Like this?

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...m=343&catname=

Post Thanks / Like

Nice trailers, by the way. I like how you mounted the lights on the fenders on the one, up high, and visible. Also in their own little enclosure, protects the connections from water,dirt, salts, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, that's on the list of things to build in the next year. Hydraulic press & press break.

Is that round stock on the die of the break?
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Post Thanks / Like

Yes roundstock for the lower die.
    Yes scissor type of my own design.
    That is the only way I do trailer lights anymore.
    That 15 footer with the wood sides hauled I want to say 60+ thousand pounds of scrap (several loads) prior to me taking pics. The fenders got hit by the magnets a few times hard enough to move the trailer over and remained straight. And look at how well the rustoleum paint in the bed held up. There was a lot of steel drug accross that and I swept it off after every load.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not understanding how the press makes the bends in the fenders. I can see how it does the 90* bends in the light boxes. Can you elaborate a bit?

Post Thanks / Like

It's kind of a long process Bob, but turns out well.
    First I determine the start and end of the curve of the fenders. Then I scribe markes evenly spaced. About 1/2" is what I used on the fenders. Then I copy it and do several test bends to see if I am close and to see how many pumps of the handle it takes. I know, not real scientific, but it's what I got to work with. I arrived at 1-3/4 pumps. What I do is lower the die onto the fender untill I feel a little resistance. Then give it 1-3/4 pumps on the jack. Release, slip fender in to next scribe mark and repeat. I just took my time and they came out damn near perfect. Way better than prebending then clamping and tacking. This is one of the reasons I only build for myself. If I was to charge for fenders made this way, It would be somewhere in the $400-$500 per fender with light box and inners. I just can't see charging somebody that much unless they really really want to pay it and have been repeatedly forewarned of the cost. But, then again, if I was going to sell them, I would buy or build better equipment to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    It's kind of a long process Bob, but turns out well.
    First I determine the start and end of the curve of the fenders. Then I scribe markes evenly spaced. About 1/2" is what I used on the fenders. Then I copy it and do several test bends to see if I am close and to see how many pumps of the handle it takes. I know, not real scientific, but it's what I got to work with. I arrived at 1-3/4 pumps. What I do is lower the die onto the fender untill I feel a little resistance. Then give it 1-3/4 pumps on the jack. Release, slip fender in to next scribe mark and repeat. I just took my time and they came out damn near perfect. Way better than prebending then clamping and tacking. This is one of the reasons I only build for myself. If I was to charge for fenders made this way, It would be somewhere in the $400-$500 per fender with light box and inners. I just can't see charging somebody that much unless they really really want to pay it and have been repeatedly forewarned of the cost. But, then again, if I was going to sell them, I would buy or build better equipment to do it.
    Wow dude you bump roll those on a little shop press???
    Thats hardcore !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats an impressive trailer!!

Post Thanks / Like

In short Bob, I make many very shy bends and they add up to a curve.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, just wondering because on my trailer I already have store bought fenders I got from a friend but I will have to split them and add a piece to make them wider. Figured pre-bending the pieces would make it easier.

Running into several things I have never done before, that makes it interesting and more fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought, could you use stop blocks in your press that force you to bend the right amount every time instead of counting strokes?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe. I thought about it, but the springback varies depending on where the diamonds land. Not saying that counting pumps is anymore accurate, it's just the easiest way I could think of at the time. I may add threaded stops at a later date. I built the brake mainly to do the light boxes and a few other things, but I am finding new uses just about every day.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to reserve judgement until Dabar give us his take.
    Proud to be self-employed and not have to rely on ANYONE but me to make my way in this world.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX
    MM 350P
    MM 210
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Post Thanks / Like

Let me have it Spaz, I'm not sure Dabar is going to show up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Let me have it Spaz, I'm not sure Dabar is going to show up.
    I never said there was anything wrong with your trailers so to speak, It was and still is my opinion that your dump frame is way over built, nothing more. It's your trailer, build it your way. Individuality, that's part of what makes this country so great, what kind of society would we be without it?

You gotta understand my point of view as a manufacturer though, the more materials and the more time involved in doing a trailer build the less the profit. It's hard to sell an $8000 trailer in a $5000 market and still make a living.

Kevin, nice to see you. Joe has been playing nice, you gonna play nice too?
    I am what I am, Deal with it!

If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    I never said there was anything wrong with your trailers so to speak, It was and still is my opinion that your dump frame is way over built, nothing more. It's your trailer, build it your way.

Kevin, nice to see you. Joe has been playing nice, you gonna play nice too?
    I'm pretty impressed, you are giving him permission to build it his own way.

As I recall, you DID criticize his trailer on the other thread. First, the axle was in the wrong place; second, the hitch didn't have enough clearance; third, it's built too heavy. The first two have already been disproven, and since we don't know what Boostinjdm is planning to haul and dump, nobody here, other than Boostinjdm, has any basis to evaluate the third.

I'm not being nice, just giving you plenty of room to put your foot in your mouth again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark8310 View Post
    I'm pretty impressed, you are giving him permission to build it his own way.

As I recall, you DID criticize his trailer on the other thread. First, the axle was in the wrong place; second, the hitch didn't have enough clearance; third, it's built too heavy. The first two have already been disproven, and since we don't know what Boostinjdm is planning to haul and dump, nobody here, other than Boostinjdm, has any basis to evaluate the third.

I'm not being nice, just giving you plenty of room to put your foot in your mouth again.
    Just one question about the rails and coupler, did you allow enough room for the stick out on the trailer hitch receiver? Looks like it's gonna be mighty close if not hitting when turning or going over uneven ground.

As for the rest of your build, that's just insane, talk about wasting time and materials. That's way beyond over kill, unless I'm missing something here.

How much is the trailer rated for and how much does it weigh as it sits?

Is it an optical illusion or do you have the axle placed in the center of the trailer deck?

What is the purpose of the extra rails above your tongue rails, and the ones going up the middle of the trailer, seems like an awful lot of time and materials that could have and should have been used on other projects.
    Please explain some of the reasons why you built it this way or tell us what and how the trailer is going to be used.

The above is copied and pasted from the other thread, Please show me where I criticized
    anything other than my thought of it being overbuilt? When did asking legitimate questions become criticizing someone?
    I am what I am, Deal with it!

If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like 'top shelf' work to me - thanks for posting...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dabar39 View Post
    It's hard to sell an $8000 trailer in a $5000 market and still make a living.
    And that is exactly the reason I don't build them specifically for sale. I build for myself, eventually somebody comes along and wants them more than I do. As we all know, everything is for sale if your pockets are deep enough.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist