+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Boostinjdm's Trailers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boostinjdm's Trailers

Got the scissor finished and installed. No pics of that, sorry. Did a little wiring today, but still have more to do. Hope to have this thing completed this weekend, or at least by Christmas... Not much to look at, but here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

For trailers, bias ply tires are just fine. Nice paint, too bad you get to dirty it up. But hey, what's a dump bed for! So,does the winch cable get to run through the bulkhead?
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    So,does the winch cable get to run through the bulkhead?
    Yes, and being attached to the box, it will raise up with the bed which could come in handy unloading. A situation would be hauling my dead skid loader. Winch it on and raise the bed and let the winch out to dump it. Here, took some pics for ya of the winch.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I had the wiring whooped, but now I have to take it all apart to get at the winch relays. They want a negative trigger and my wireless and hydraulic pump send/need a positive trigger.

From what I remember, #85 and #86 are the coil terminals on the relays. Right now one of them is piggy backed off the power wire (factory) and the other is hooked to my wire I was going to use for the signal. To switch from negative trigger to positive trigger, I just need to clip and remove the jumper and replace it with a ground. Correct? I'd take a pic, but I've got about an hour of work ahead of me to even get to it.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

what is the winch for? I am having a difficult time understanding what use it will have. everything else looks well thought out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    what is the winch for?
    Winching...... No really. I have a lot of toys and tools that have wheels and will fit on this trailer, but either don't always run or don't have any power themselves. One good example would be my dead skidloader that I previously mentioned or better yet, my tube bender. It weighs 1800 lbs and there is no way in hell that I can push that up the ramps, but with the winch it won't be a problem. Same goes for unloading the bender, I don't want to just push it off the back and hope for the best. I can raise the bed a little and use the winch to control the speed it rolls off the trailer and down the ramps.

Here is the bender I am talking about.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Got 'er all straightened out. Dumps to 38 degrees in 28 seconds. Drops back down in 35 seconds. Now all that's left is the cover for the tongue. It's already cut out, I just have to make a box for the toggle switches. Love this wireless thing too. It cost more than my winch, but I love it. Did I say I love it? Here's some pics of testing....
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.....that trailer turned out awesome Boostin!!

Nice job.
    http://all-a-cart.com

Welding Cart Kits and accessories

Post Thanks / Like

Shhh! It's not done yet..... Thanks though.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    It's kind of a long process Bob, but turns out well.
    First I determine the start and end of the curve of the fenders. Then I scribe markes evenly spaced. About 1/2" is what I used on the fenders. Then I copy it and do several test bends to see if I am close and to see how many pumps of the handle it takes. I know, not real scientific, but it's what I got to work with. I arrived at 1-3/4 pumps. What I do is lower the die onto the fender untill I feel a little resistance. Then give it 1-3/4 pumps on the jack. Release, slip fender in to next scribe mark and repeat. I just took my time and they came out damn near perfect. Way better than prebending then clamping and tacking. This is one of the reasons I only build for myself. If I was to charge for fenders made this way, It would be somewhere in the $400-$500 per fender with light box and inners. I just can't see charging somebody that much unless they really really want to pay it and have been repeatedly forewarned of the cost. But, then again, if I was going to sell them, I would buy or build better equipment to do it.
    Wow dude you bump roll those on a little shop press???
    Thats hardcore !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats an impressive trailer!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Fab work, good looking trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Any idea yet just how heavy that thing is empty? A nice low dump trailer's on my want list. There's a lot of times I could really use one. I completely understand the winch thing. I was looking at a nice 13x40 lathe the other day. My truck will take the weight easy, but with no crane to load/unload it was to much of a PITA to load.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Looks good. Any idea yet just how heavy that thing is empty?
    My estimate is right around 2000 to 2300 lbs. Going off of material weight by the foot and experience building bigger flatbeds that used roughly the same amount and size tubing/sheet. I'll know in a day or two. I live right next door to an elevator with scale, but the trailer isn't leaving the garage till the tongue is closed up. Hope to get the cover finished and painted yet tonight and mounted tomarrow.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Got the front end buttoned up finally. Tested everything out. Wireless controll works great with no delay. Transmits through 1/8" thick steel enclosure, garage wall, 35 feet to the house, through side of house, and through my pocket. Maybe tommarrow I'll try it from down the street. Here's some pics... Just needs a plate now.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

You got plans for this utility hauler?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyroracing85 View Post
    You got plans for this utility hauler?
    In my head...
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. I spied an 06 Ninja 650 in your shop, I assume that is yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by racinjason44 View Post
    Nice work. I spied an 06 Ninja 650 in your shop, I assume that is yours?
    Yeah, ya want it? I'd sell it for the right price. I bought the thing new in '06 and never seem to get to ride it.
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 12-22-2009 at 09:56 PM.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Got a call from the DOT man today. Found out some interesting news.

Apparently they are more concerned with empty weight than loaded weight. If empty weight is over 2000 lbs. it is required by federal law to have brakes on all axles regardless of GVWR. It also has to be inspected and a title made out. I wonder how many trailers out there don't meet that requirement. So anyways, I have to make a trip to the scale and see where I'm at. If I'm over then I've got to spend another couple hundred bux and do a little more wiring cuz I've only got brakes on one axle. I told him it's hard to find good solid info on brakes and lighting, he just chuckled.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with that. LOL I might would be thinking of ways to temporarily shave the weight........take the battery out, winch, jack.....that is if you are close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minner View Post
    LOL I might would be thinking of ways to temporarily shave the weight.........
    I left the 2x12 tailgate at home Weighed 1700 lbs even, so I'm good to go.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Yeah, ya want it? I'd sell it for the right price. I bought the thing new in '06 and never seem to get to ride it.
    No I have an 07, it's pretty tricky, not a lot of stock stuff left. I wouldn't mind picking up another one, but all I want is the steering head and the motor, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm having a little trouble with my charging system and I know there are a few knowledgeable guys on here that can help with a solution.

I have my truck wired up with a relay and fuse on the ignition so that it will charge the trailer only when the key is on. The problem is that when the trailer battery is low and I turn the key on, it draws too many amps and pops the fuse. Is there some type of regulator I can build or buy that will limit the amps. I would assume that it is something that could be cannibalized from a charger....

I haven't run into this problem before with any of the other trailer battery setups, but those were mostly for lighting and weren't capable of drawing much. This trailer has a hydraulic pump and winch and could be that they are popping the fuse when I try to use them on a low battery.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Might be what you suspect. Maybe having a diode inline with the charging circuit would help?
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist