Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boostinjdm's Trailers

License plates on trailers are always a pain. They just never seem to 'fit in'..
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I've been asked a few times about my ramps. I can never seem to find pics even though I swear I have them posted somewhere.

Sides are 2" channel. Rungs are 1-1/4 x 1-1/4" x 3/16 angle iron. Rungs are 10" long, making overall width of ramps 12". The hook plate on the trailer end is 3/16" thick. These were designed to be made from 1 length of channel and 1 length of angle IIRC. Ramps have a finished length of 61" tip to tip.

I don't know what they should be rated for, but they cover my needs well. I can tell you that an 8000lb Bobcat S250 will bend but not buckle them. The guy I sold my old trailer to did that even after I told him he would be overloaded. My 6000lb forklift bent them even though I added 2" x 10" planks on top. I have loaded several cars and pickups (not 1 tons) without issue. They currently have a slight bow to them that I need to press out. Maybe 1/4" dip in the center.

So, if you are going to be loading full size trucks regularly, or things over about 4000lbs, you should probably go a bit beefier.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Those look beefy enough for trucks. Look about the same build as the ramps on my last trailer and I loaded all kinds of trucks and even a mini excavator with them.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

Welp, dump trailer needed some new tires. Was starting to weather check bad enough I could see cords. So I searched high and low for the best deal.

Ended up with Carlisle Radial Trail HD in 205/75-R15 LRD 8ply. Bit of an upgrade going from bias to radial, off brand to name brand, and 6ply to 8ply. Walmart.com beat everybody out at about $58 each after tax. Beat everybody local by $25-50 PER TIRE. Delivered to the store for pick up in 2 days and I mounted them myself manually. Homemade bead breaker and a few spoons made it pretty easy.

I think I did good.
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Not that it matters much for a car or dump trailer but on my camper trailer I used bias ply tires. Reason is if they blow out they don't tear half the trailer off.
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    I only have a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    Ok, a little progress. Not much though, I kinda slow.....
    Got both fenders and light boxes welded up and ground smooth (forgot pics). Got rear hitch installed (also forgot pics). Got tongue enclosed and started on hydraulic tank. Trying to fit 10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag, or so the saying goes. Still have to finish tank and figure out my mounting for wireless box for winch and dump, and switch box for the on trailer controls. I plan on having toggle switches mounted on the tongue cover to control and disable both the winch (yet to be pictured) and the pump for dumping. I also plan to have a wireless remote for loading with the winch by myself, or dumping from the cab (reason for disable switch, don't want to catch interference and start dumping while going down the highway). Also need to figure out mount for circuit breaker. Heres some pics to tide ya over.
    Hi B, nice work. what is checker plate thickness of mudguards?

Post Thanks / Like

1/8".
    My name's not Jim....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    1/8".
    TX Boost

Post Thanks / Like

Dump trailer update. Ran it over 400 miles in the past few days. Had my first light go bad. One of the 3 center lights. Last one in the string. Only lights about half as bright as it should. Definitely a light failure and not wiring. I think the cause was ice over the winter in the light. I've had the trailer in my garage most of this year and it has been dripping water since the thaw. Popped the lights out and had a nice puddle.

Now I'm replacing all 3 clearance lights and adding some drain holes. Almost 11 years without a light failure is doing pretty good in my book.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Boostinjdm; 09-20-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    My name's not Jim....

11. Likes ronsii, AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lights replaced and drain holes drilled. I ended up just desoldering the lights and soldering in new pigtails. Doubled up shrink tubes kept the connections as clean as the day I did them. 8 5/16" holes for draining. I bet I got 3 gallons of water out of the frame. I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 4. The front light boxes were the worst. That's were it has been dripping from. Had to take a break after drilling the pilot hole to let them drain.
    My name's not Jim....

13. Likes ronsii liked this post