+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experienced Welder Needing Certs.

Post Thanks / Like

Experienced Welder Needing Certs.

I've been welding for over 15 years and I've never received any certifications. I've taken several tests and passed however the employer would never give me a copy of my certs. I have a good job lined up, all I need is a Aluminum Cert, and I'm good to go... Is there a way to get a test by myself and rent the equipment needed to take the test... There has to be a way I get can get this on my own, in a short period of time. School out of the question because I didn't finish High School. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced Welder Needing Certs.

I'm in the DC area, Fredericksburg, VA

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/CW/

"The Certified Welder program is a performance-based program with no prerequisite courses or certifications required. Final certification will provide "transferrable" credentials that you may take with you wherever you go.
    The Certified Welder (CW) program test to procedures used in the structural steel, petroleum pipelines, sheet metal and chemical refinery welding industries. There is a provision to test to a company-supplied or non-code welding specification. Access the Accredited Test Facility to find a facility near you or call AWS at (800) 443-WELD, ext 273.

How do I "demonstrate" my skill?
    During your scheduled appointment at an AWS Accredited Test Facility, you will deposit a sound weld that will be inspected by an AWS Certified Welding Inspector (CWI). Your ability to properly adhere to the Welding Procedure Specification, selected from available QC7 Supplements, includes fit-up, assembly, and positioning.

What happens if I fail the test the first time?
    If you fail the test, you may retest at any time. It is best to discuss this with your AWS Accredited Test Facility representative, who will be able to assist you in scheduling a new test date.

When do I get my card?
    You will learn if you passed the test immediately, however, AWS will receive your application, test results and $30 registration fee up to two weeks after your skill demonstration. (This varies; check with your selected AWS Accredited Test Facility). You should receive your qualification card and supply of certification maintenance forms from the AWS Certification Department in four to six weeks.

How long is my certification valid?
    Your certification remains valid as long as you submit your certification maintenance forms every six months as required by the Code of Acceptance that governed your test. As long as you can verify (have your employer sign the form) that you are still performing the same welding as you originally tested for, your certification remains in effect. But remember, you must send in your certification maintenance form.

What if I let my certification lapse?
    Why let your certification lapse? You've worked hard to become a top professional in a technically evolving industry, and you've proven it with AWS Certification. Every six months simply provide AWS with your updated certification maintenance form to ensure your certification status. "

Quote Originally Posted by pdavis View Post
    I've been welding for over 15 years and I've never received any certifications. I've taken several tests and passed however the employer would never give me a copy of my certs. I have a good job lined up, all I need is a Aluminum Cert, and I'm good to go... Is there a way to get a test by myself and rent the equipment needed to take the test... There has to be a way I get can get this on my own, in a short period of time. School out of the question because I didn't finish High School. Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

High School doesn't matter when it comes to the test. Most trade schools woun't test you because you aren't one of there students i.e. ain't payin no money they woun't do anything for you. Check the AWS website. It cost though depending on the type of cert you want. Down here in the N.O., LA area, a fluxcore test is like $250.00. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

pdavis,
    Where are you located?
    The AWS program is of course a great option. Be sure that you take the right test. AWS D1.2 is for structural welding Aluminum. Find out what certification and process (GTAW, GMAW etc) you need for the job and pursue that test. Google welding test sites in your state and you should find several locations that will test you using their coupons, rods, machines and they will examine the weld and provide the paperwork if you pass. Usually they charge you by the coupon. If you take two positions (vert. & OH) you will pay more than one 6G test. A ballpark rate is 250 to 400 per coupon.
    Good luck with finding and test site and getting the job.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist