+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search/Advance search..

Post Thanks / Like

Search/Advance search..

Why does this thing suck so bad?

I used to find anything I needed with ease but now after the upgrade all I get is ...

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Why is that!!!!!!!

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Search/Advance search..

Same complaint, chalked it up to being a newbie. If Zapster is having the same issue, its something with the page. Last couple of days I was trying to locate a thread involving the XMT 350. Tried every variation of search, uppercase, lowercase, wildcards, etc. Eventually opened another screen, used google and typed in weldingweb and xmt 350, the very first result was the one I was looking for. Something is wrong when I can find a recent thread using an outside search engine, but not the built in search function.

For what its worth, I tried it on the work computer and at home, different operating systems and different browsers, got the same "nothing found" result. Anyone else experiencing the same thing????
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a few searches like "helmets" and "Continental diesel" and it seems to be bringing up what I think it should. It also looks like it's indexing recent threads -- which is why searches sometimes die.

Saying that, I'm not conducting searches regularly here. Ellen's on vacation right now (so am I for that matter) but I'll point it out to her when she returns.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, same search issue here. Stuff I thought should have been easy were not found.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    Why does this thing suck so bad?

I used to find anything I needed with ease but now after the upgrade all I get is ...

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Why is that!!!!!!!

...zap!
    You may have to report this to a '' MODERATOR ''. Sorry , I couldn't resists.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    You may have to report this to a '' MODERATOR ''. Sorry , I couldn't resists.
    I did better than that..
    Made it public.
    Sometimes you get better responses this way.

And now I know I am not the only one....

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

The search is working fine for me, both the normal and advanced search.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Yep, same search issue here. Stuff I thought should have been easy were not found.
    Yeah... same thing here. What was easy is now, "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
    USELESS!
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I seem to be getting "no search found" is when I'm not logged in and trying a search without filling in the anti-spam words. (which kicks me to the advanced search) Otherwise, I'm getting results on all 3 major browsers. (IE, FF, Chrome) alu sailboat, tig welding aluminum, and a few other terms.

It's just easier to decode the problems with specifics. PMing Ellen may help since she's the one that will have to describe the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

i am having the same issue. no matter what i search, nothing comes up.

why hasn't a mod posted in here???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by springer 45 View Post
    i am having the same issue. no matter what i search, nothing comes up.

why hasn't a mod posted in here???

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing the mods can do about the search. Ellen will need to investigate and file a ticket. She's been on vacation and will get into it when she can after she gets back. In the meantime, as far as I can tell, I would suggest logging in before you do a search, that seemed to make searches more effective for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I am always logged in...24-7-365....

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is a known bug with vbulletin... I've seen it on a couple other forums I visit, dont know if its just certain versions of vb or not..

Post Thanks / Like

We are looking into this issue. I'll give an update as soon as I receive one.

Post Thanks / Like

Long as we're delving into the occult... how 'bout the vanishing photos issue?

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...rage-Locations

The Problem With Photobucket - And Other Online Storage Locations (Such as WeldingWeb?)
    Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    I'm sure most do for the convenience of sharing with family and friends but why do so many insist on using links to Photobucket and other online photo storage when posting photos to threads? When the author deletes them, moves them to another folder or cancels their membership, the reference photos are lost forever from the thread and a reader can no longer benefit from viewing them.

The WW process isn't that complicated and by simply downloading a photo or two from the online storage to ones hard drive and then using the "manage attachments" feature to upload photos to a thread will assure they'll remain for all to see and enjoy long after the online location is gone.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Okay... So today I was "formulating" a reply to a topic, and I was hoping to link/use relevant pictures that I know I had previously parked/posted/referenced (some at least several times) at WW. As usual I went to my profile where I usually pull up previously posted/parked attachments, and WA-LA! it sez "no photos"

So I'm pondering where my pictures are and how to pull 'em up?
    Maybe I need to learn some new MO that wasn't necessary previously?

Which brings us to the original topic, that being, as others mentioned, if photos aren't accessible when their "owner" would like to use them, then maybe WW isn't the best place to park 'em?

Happy New Year
    Thanks
    Last edited by denrep; 01-02-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to the upgrade, photos had to be referenced as a link. This is no longer the case. Now you can upload an image directly to the forums. This eliminates the problem that occurs when the original link site url of your image changes.

For images that existed prior to the upgrade, please find the image at your original link location. If you need help finding the bb code that states the original location, let me know. Then I would upload them directly using the wysiwyg image icon, which will then upload the image directly to the forums. No linking is necessary.Name:  eye-bolts-6.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  3.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebaran View Post
    Prior to the upgrade, photos had to be referenced as a link. This is no longer the case. Now you can upload an image directly to the forums. This eliminates the problem that occurs when the original link site url of your image changes.

For images that existed prior to the upgrade, please find the image at your original link location. If you need help finding the bb code that states the original location, let me know. Then I would upload them directly using the wysiwyg image icon, which will then upload the image directly to the forums. No linking is necessary.
    And that is the crux of the problem. Where exactly to find the original link location, or even the post that's referencing it?

Thanks Ebaron, I grasp the posting procedure, but the issue is with searching and finding pictures that haven't "vaporized" and are still at either valid links or parked at WW, yet won't come up with a search. Or at least not the way they used to.

For example, here's a pic I posted recently, which did not appear in search results when I hunted for it. However, the the topic was unique enough, and recent enough, and I was sure enough that I had posted it, that I was able to find it mostly with intuition.

Here it is:
    http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php...1&d=1386774509
    (Link only, to not clutter the thread and to show that it's parked at WW.)
    But, if I hadn't remembered enough unique details about the thread, I wouldn't have been able to find that picture - at least not very easy. Unfortunately, my memory isn't sharp enough to store and recall specifics about 1000s of threads; anyway, I thought that was the software's job?

So, what specifically prompted my original comment is that I knew that I had previously posted some pictures that would be relevant to a new SA-200 mag and distributor topic. I don't recall exactly the when/where/whose thread I had posted to, but I know that I did post 'em. However... by using relevant search terms, trying to find those and some other posted photos would be like seeking a needle in a haystack. Even though some "lost" photos were posted during the "attachment" era, prior to the upgrade, and some very recently, at my user profile a search brings a "no photos" result.

Whereas previously, all posted attachments were easily searchable and thus it was fast and simple to find and review or reuse photos which were already parked at WW, rather than searching off-site or uploading the same pictures again.

So what I'm wondering is if that powerful search tool has been lost with the upgrade, or if now there's some other way to search with the same efficiency as with the previous system?

Thanks
    Last edited by denrep; 01-02-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My search tool works fine today.

Then it said "invalid" on another search because I put the stuff in the "tag" box instead of the "keyword" box.

Hope I didn't do that on other searches when it did not work for me - operator error if that's the case
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

What I can offer you is this, and you'll need to let me know if this is sufficient:

advanced search>keyword "type in the word photo">search now

When I searched on photo as a keyword I got ALOT of results, because posts where photos were embedded, there was usually reference in the post text itself using the word "photo"

You could further refine the result by putting in your username if you are looking for only your posts.

Post Thanks / Like

oh, and p.s. I am looking into being able to search attachments.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried "Rollers"

I have made and posted MANY MANY MANY but I still get the same 'ol message no matter what I type where.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Just did rollers for keyword and zapster for user and got 65 results. Did just keyword rollers and got 307 results.

Don't know what to tell ya.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Just did rollers for keyword and zapster for user and got 65 results. Did just keyword rollers and got 307 results.

Don't know what to tell ya.
    Me either.

...zap!

Some parts are missing

Do not attempt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ebaran View Post
    What I can offer you is this, and you'll need to let me know if this is sufficient:

advanced search>keyword "type in the word photo">search now

When I searched on photo as a keyword I got ALOT of results, because posts where photos were embedded, there was usually reference in the post text itself using the word "photo"

You could further refine the result by putting in your username if you are looking for only your posts.
    Sure, with lots of luck and tedious hunting maybe some image could be found that way.
    And if we fire enough shotguns at the barn wall we'll be bound to hit it, somewhere, eventually.
    But compared to the previous system's very systematic and sniper-accurate attachment indexing and retrieval, it's no improvement, really.

For example, this image of a great place for some software upgrades, we all know it, it's been posted many many times:

But just try to find it, using even best-guess keywords, tags, syntax and advanced search tools. Good luck.
    Previously all it took was a quick scroll through attachments.

That was my point. Maybe the upgrade has such capability, but I just don't know how to use it?
    Last edited by denrep; 01-02-2014 at 04:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist