+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on aluminum alloys and aluminum fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on aluminum alloys and aluminum fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by circus_arts View Post
    I'm designing a handstand table for a hand balancing performer. He wants the table to be light weigh and portable. I'm trying to choose the best aluminum alloy for this table. My needs for the alloy weldability, strength, and good for threads.

I've been looking into different aluminum alloys and have been suggested to use 5052, but after my own research I've been leaning towards 6082. I'm new to aluminum and my first question is what do you think is the best alloy for a table that is going to have to hold a person performing acrobatics on it. Also I want the legs to be detachable for transport. So what alloy aluminum would be best out of the 5052 or 6082 to hold threads? Or is there a better alloy or better way to attach the legs (see picture).

Thanks for any help.
    Sounds like you've asked almost every question that the designer would be answering.

Since you are new to aluminum, how would you design it in steel? Size, type, thickness, attachment, etc.

Then your question would be "what aluminum matches the performance of the steel table I've drawn?"
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned 6061 will work- just need a solid design.
    These simple work platforms are a good example of KISS

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/20-work-platform/967863
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    As mentioned 6061 will work- just need a solid design.
    These simple work platforms are a good example of KISS

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/20-work-platform/967863
    Weld 4 together and call it a day?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Sounds like you've asked almost every question that the designer would be answering.

Since you are new to aluminum, how would you design it in steel? Size, type, thickness, attachment, etc.

Then your question would be "what aluminum matches the performance of the steel table I've drawn?"

Very good point. I'm in one of those situation where the more information I gather, the more I realize how little I know about aluminum. Thus making it harder to choose the correct material for the table.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in one of those situation where the more information I gather, the more I realize how little I know about aluminum. Thus making it harder to choose the correct material for the table.
    That's where those engineer types come in real handy. They go to school for weeks to learn how to do this!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Very good point. I'm in one of those situation where the more information I gather, the more I realize how little I know about aluminum. Thus making it harder to choose the correct material for the table.
    Like I said, design the entire table in steel, since you presumably have a lot of experience designing in steel right?

In your measured drawing, annotate how much force, and where it will be applied, when your acrobat starts bouncing around on it.
    Also note your calculations that led you to choose the size and thickness of steel.

Show in detail the threaded connections you plan to use.

Then ask what aluminum will duplicate your design specs as drawn.

Much faster question than asking what you have so far, and more interesting.
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at what he is using now I see a couple of things. The upside is whatever complex vector he could couple down thru those poles will never kick that base in any direction (kicking things out from under him). It's also going to be near as stiff as sticking a pole in a concrete foundation...

The downside is it's heavy! The 3/8" ally top is about 5 1/4 to 5 1/2lb per square foot. The 1 x 5" box doesn't need a lot of section to be very stiff so not much weight there. The legs and stiffeners maybe 30 to 40 lbs without the feet. All totaled one fella isn't going to like moving it around much. A lift truck would be nice, in fact I wouldn't prolly worry about setting a small one on top of that table...

There is no way, "even with a removable center support" that a folding arrangement that's easy to carry would be as stable when loads try to slide things sideways out from under you.

You could build a good roller dolly, or go to a thinner top with box section underneath (could drop maybe 40+lbs using 3/16" plate).

If he is determined to have a folding table be prepared for a lot of tweaking, maybe over an extended period of time.

Good luck
    Matt

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist