Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm has new owners!

Link to the Front page of the Lebanon, NH Valley news:

http://www.vnews.com/news/10212951-9...HiscU.facebook

We are pretty excited.....

Jim Colt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm has new owners!

Congratulations Jim, do your co-workers have any big plans for any changes as of yet? In other words, when it was owned by folks other than the employees did you folks have a wish-list or anything that you are now planning on putting into play? Just curious, but, congratulations once again. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

We (employees) have owned 33% of Hypertherm for over a dozen years. The remainder of the stock was held by Dick Couch, the original founder....and CEO and Chairman of the board. Dick and his wife Barbara (who is VP of Human Resources) decided to "sell" there remaining 67% of the company to the employee stock option plan.....which doles out stock shares to each employee as a benefit. When an employee leaves the company for any reason...the stock is sold back to the stock plan at the current per share value. This is our self funded retirement account, as the company grows the value of the stock increases. Instead of overpaying high level executives as many corporations do.....Hypertherm shares all of the profits on an equalized basis with every employee.

As you can imagine, this 100% employee ownership makes for a very satisfying work environment at Hypertherm, virtually everyone comes to work with a great attitude and puts extra effort and thought into everything they do. Imagine the impact on the quality of the products that go out the door.

I am very thankful that I walked into Hypertherm back in 1978 as a 21 year old looking for a job. I was the 11th employee......we currently have 1400 employee/owners!

I see no changes in the way Hypertherm does its business as a result of the transfer of ownership, with the exception of even better commitment to excellence.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by aevald View Post
    Congratulations Jim, do your co-workers have any big plans for any changes as of yet? In other words, when it was owned by folks other than the employees did you folks have a wish-list or anything that you are now planning on putting into play? Just curious, but, congratulations once again. Best regards, Allan

Post Thanks / Like

That is just awesome Jim!!!!! Congratulations! Now thats how you run a business to be the BEST!
    I hate being bi-polar it's awsome

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys

Post Thanks / Like

FanTastic Jim! Glad to see the employees riding the hard earned wave of success. Best fortune. USA!
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Best wishes - sounds like an excellent way to do business to me
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like the Founder is a genuine good guy.
    lucky.
    Tim Beeker.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW ! There are people who really care about their people ! That is amazing , talk about a sales promotion ! Words cannot describe what Dick and Barbara have done. Frequently, you hear about owners cleaning out the company and the employees dedicated years of service come to work to find the doors locked and a out of business sign. That happen in Chicago a few years ago. Really happy for you JIM. So,now that you are a big wig, we gonna get a discount on next purchase ??

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, to Jim and all the employees/stockholders!! I can only wish you could start a trend across the country. I think all employees would have a lot better attitude owning a piece of the action.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Party time. Put your hands up and shout!

Name:  animal-house_528_poster.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  47.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Oldendum; 01-15-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Just another reason to buy a hypertherm!

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Jim, Congratulations. May your founders have a long and happy retirement.It's a very fine thing when all the workers are well treated and respected for there efforts.
    Lincoln SP-170 Mig
    Hypertherm powermax 45
    Lorch T220 AC/DC Tig
    Butters FM 215 synergic Mig
    Kemppi 180 adaptive mig

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND THE
    GUIDANCE OF WISE MEN.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome Jim! A true "employee owned" company. Congratulations and may Hypertherm prosper for many years to come.

A company I used to work for had "Employee Owned" on the company sign. Trouble is, you needed to be an employed family member in order to qualify for company stock. A deceiving play on words for those that didn't know any better.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like a very benevolent move on the pat of the founders.

Congratulations and best wishes to all.
    Last edited by denrep; 01-15-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Gordon,

The founders have no plans to retire. Dick Couch continues as the CEO and Chairman of the board, his wife Barbara continues as VP of Human Resources. They are truly classy people that care about their co-workers, and care about people. Always have been....something I saw on day one at the company back in 1978!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by gordon stephenson View Post
    Way to go Jim, Congratulations. May your founders have a long and happy retirement.It's a very fine thing when all the workers are well treated and respected for there efforts.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I like the sound of that.
    old Miller spectrum 625
    Lincoln SP-135 T, CO2+0.025 wire
    Miller model 250 and WP-18V torch
    Craftsman 100amp AC/DC and WP-17V torch
    Century 115-004 HF arc stabilizer
    Home made 4 transformer spot welder
    Home made alternator welder

Post Thanks / Like

Jim that is outstanding. I am very proud for you folks. Boy I believe America would be in much better shape if more companys did that.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jim,
    Looks like a true sign to me that the founders have had an enjoyable working life. and don't want to give it up just yet. May Hypertherm go from strength to strength, You surely make a great product with everybody pulling in the same direction,
    Lincoln SP-170 Mig
    Hypertherm powermax 45
    Lorch T220 AC/DC Tig
    Butters FM 215 synergic Mig
    Kemppi 180 adaptive mig

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND THE
    GUIDANCE OF WISE MEN.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Jim. That is a big part i'm sure of why Hypertherm has such a good reputation for it's products. There is no comparison in the workmanship and pride in your products compared to where employees are just a number that punch a timeclock in ideal conditions, or work in a sweatshop in the case of some of the "imported" units.
    -------------------------
    Chemetron AC/DC 300 HF
    Snap-On MM300L
    Lincoln SP140
    Lincoln AC/DC 225g
    Lincoln SA200
    Lincoln SA200
    Miller Bobcat 225G
    Victor torches
    H&M and Mathey beveling machines
    McElroy Plastic pipe fusion

Post Thanks / Like

I read this yesterday, then bought a new Powermax30 today.

I'm giving away my almost new Harbor Freight cutter as soon as someone takes me up on the offer.

Jim, I'm a retired Navy submarine/destroyer veteran and I'm all about folks like you and your company...I'll gladly put my money where my mouth is and buy the stuff you guys there make for us.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

@ Pigeon - you'll dig the PM30. Sold my PM30 to upgrade cut capacity and pulled the trig on a new PM45. Won't enter/buy from the HorrorFreight.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    @ Pigeon - you'll dig the PM30. Sold my PM30 to upgrade cut capacity and pulled the trig on a new PM45. Won't enter/buy from the HorrorFreight.
    I copy your comments on the Powermax, but I assure you that the Harbor Freight cutter ain't no slouch for the money....It just ain't as forgiving when it comes to air quality and piercing as the Hypertherm.......I'm betting they will cut heads up equal as far as thickness and speed, but not be equal when it comes to consumable life, duty cycle and warranty.

Funny thang is when I read the Hypertherm Powermax30 owner's manual, it states in the charts to use full 30 amps no matter the thickness or type metal, and just adjust your cut speed.....DUH?

Jim Colt, you wanna chime in on this comment/question?

If the manual says always use 30 amps, then why the twisty knob?

Post Thanks / Like

Easy answer. If we offered up a cut chart for every amperage.....such as the correct cut speed for each thickness at 20 amps, at 21 amps, at 22 amps, etc., it would add a hundred or so pages to the operators manual.....as well as a lot of confusion for the users that actually read the manual. So we choose to print cut specs that are proven to work (in our labs) at the highest energy density level that works with each set of consumables. The highest energy density for a 30 amp set of consumables is 30 amps.....therefore the cut charts are done at that level.

We encourage you to experiment if the cut specs we provide do not provide the results you are looking for. With my 30....if I am cutting some thin gauge I often operate at 20 to 25 amps. If I am running on a 15 amp 120 volt circuit.....and don't want to trip the breaker....then I set the Powermax30 output in the range that works well on a 15 amp, 120 volt circuit, as indicated on the amperage dial.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, That was a very good answer to the question. But its not what I think he had in mind.

("The highest energy density for a 30 amp set of consumables is 30 amps.....therefore the cut charts are done at that level") and the manual reflex that by telling you to use your cutter at 30 amps.

Now Hypertherm only makes a 30 amp set of consumables for the powermax30 unit. Not 15, 20, or 25 but they will work on these amps but will not give you the best cuts or consumable life because the 30 amp consumables are not optimum for those amp settings.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, there is only one set of consumables for the Powermax30. The amperage knob can be adjusted to any setting from 15 amps to 30 amps. You can cut at more reasonable speeds on thin materials at a lower amperage setting......that is one function of the amperage knob.

The amperage knob can also be used to adjust the output power to conform to your incoming power line......see attached page from the operators manual:Name:  amperageknob.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  31.9 KB

Jim Colt

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist