Thread: anyone have a source?

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have a source?

Looking for a source for replacement axel spindles for Dexter Torflex 6000-8000# axels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone have a source?

Beaver lake Distribution 479 451 2020

Post Thanks / Like

Redneck trailer supply or
    Croft trailer supply inc

Post Thanks / Like

Another chime for Redneck

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. Are you looking for new axles or just the spindles for the axles?

Redneck can get the axle for you. They also sell plain spindles.

The problem with just the spindles is how are you going to get them on the axle. Dexter axles are welded up making it difficult to change the spindles. I have done some short stubby torsion half axle spindle replacements on ag trailers in the past. But it's not the easiest thing in the world. I did them by drilling the old spindle out of the arm and then carefully welding the new spindle in place.

If you're thinking about cutting the old spindle out and welding it back keep in mind that you can't let the heat get up near the rubber inside the axle tube.

I believe you're familiar with how I repair spindles since you posted on my thread here.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...air&highlight=
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irish fixit View Post
    I'm not 100% sure what you're asking. Are you looking for new axles or just the spindles for the axles?

Redneck can get the axle for you. They also sell plain spindles.

The problem with just the spindles is how are you going to get them on the axle. Dexter axles are welded up making it difficult to change the spindles. I have done some short stubby torsion half axle spindle replacements on ag trailers in the past. But it's not the easiest thing in the world. I did them by drilling the old spindle out of the arm and then carefully welding the new spindle in place.

If you're thinking about cutting the old spindle out and welding it back keep in mind that you can't let the heat get up near the rubber inside the axle tube.

I believe you're familiar with how I repair spindles since you posted on my thread here.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...air&highlight=
    irish if I remember right the customer had 3 bad ones at that time which has now jumped to 5. the problem is these have a lot of miles so fixing the bearing seat on the one that spun is only a band aid when the other bearing seats are out of tolerance, also seal surfaces chewed beyond what I would think sleevable. plan is to cut the spindle off as square as possible, fixture the magnetic drill and rota broach most of the stub out then remove the rest really watching heat imput, even possibly using heat sink putty on the arm for removal and welding back in. Thoughts? as I am sure you know Dexter will not sell spindles. Have the Monarch lathe with taper and tooling but think making them is beyond my self taught lathe expertise.
    Last edited by lars66; 01-18-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that your main problem is going to be finding the spindles. Yes Redneck sells spindles the right size. But I don't believe that they're long enough to go through the arm and stick out as far as they need to.

In these cases I make the spindles. They're really not that hard to make. The hard part is hitting the bearing sizes just right. Which is easy with experience but a lot harder than most beginners realize. The taper in the middle is totally none critical and in fact not completely needed. Many spindles are straight and stepped rather than tapered.

Another possible option would be to stub the spindles from Redneck onto the existing shafts sticking out of the arm. Not the easiest prospect but not impossible either. With the mag drill you could get a pretty good pilot hole for a place to press in a stub you turn on the new spindle. That would help in initial alignment but it would still be tricky to get them on there perfectly straight.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the spindle finding is the problem, also some of these have the 3 3/8" brakes which takes longer and heaver spindles. I do know one very competent machinist here in town that could make them so might go that route if he can find the time. this is all a new area for me so want to go ahead with caution. Just seems outrageous to me to buy $2000.00 + axels because the spindles are bad.