+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *((*&&^^%$#$%%^^%$@#

Post Thanks / Like

*((*&&^^%$#$%%^^%$@#

This is Craig Ferguson, not me

"Do any of ye bastards ken the meanin' of a Keep Alive Memory test failure on a Ford EEC IV system?"

And the saints be with ya:wavin And the wee bairns thank ya
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Re: *((*&&^^%$#$%%^^%$@#

Doing halloween as Craig Ferguson?

Sorry I can't help you with your question Samm. I take it it's not covered in that manual set you picked up for the rig.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Those codes are like the start of a maze. One code leads you to to the opening, then it gets worse after that.

""15
    (O)
    No Keep Alive Memory power to PCM pin 1 or bad PCM (Memory Test Failure) ""

http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

""P1600 Loss of KAM (Keep Alive Memory) power - open circuit""

http://www.aa1car.com/trouble-codes/...1500-p1699.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll just close the vise on my wee wee, and call it a day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaiteki View Post
    I wish it were that easy

Methinks that a goodly dose of 12ga pellets might convince the wayward contraption to act in accordance

Post Thanks / Like

And pray ye remember, it is olde English nite

None of this Saxon drivel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Doing halloween as Craig Ferguson?

Sorry I can't help you with your question Samm. I take it it's not covered in that manual set you picked up for the rig.
    Marketing being what it is The fourth volume of the set covers powertrain diagnosis. Which has given Ebay another unwitting customer

The manual is on the way.

I expect it at the gate on Wed.

It's coming UPS
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    I wish it were that easy
    Actually, it usually is.

From the link I posted you would get this info:

... Keep Alive Memory Test failure, usually it occurs after the battery or computer has been disconnected, because the continuous power to the EEC was interrupted. After clearing codes and retesting, this code should go away. If it does not, check for "hot at all times" power at pin 1 of the EEC connector, there should be 12v there key on or off. Check for good ground on pins 40 and 60. You can use a test light to verify good power and ground here, with the connector disconnected. A good terminal to pin fit is also essential for a good connection. It is possible that an internal computer fault could exist, first check for a bad solder joint where pin 1 connects to the main circuit board inside the EEC, resolder as necessary. If the fault remains after good power, ground, and connections are present, then replace EEC. To test itself, the computer runs memory tests and compares the results to saved values called checksums. If the results don't match the checksums, the computer is programmed to set a code 15. It's not common for memory chips to fail, but it does happen.
    And from Sandy's links:

To clear keep alive memory, disconnect and isolate negative battery cable for a minimum of five minutes. After clearing memory, it is necessary to drive vehicle a minimum of 10 miles to allow processor time to relearn value.

Post Thanks / Like

All of which can lead you to eroniuosly replace the PCM.

Truck has gone into a hardware fault at the same time, kicking the PCM into "rest" mode. It's no longer controling the engine. It's fallen back to a limp mode

I have a fuel problem. Overfueling, or underfueling. Not sure which. The damn PCM will try to compensate until it reaches it's limits, then it craps out and goes into a preset mode I guess.

Fuel pump, pressure regulator, or something else. New fuel filter at least got the dang thing to run half azz decent, but when it starts to lope, the fuel pressure guage shows a huge drop in pressure at the rail. I'm leaning towards the regulator for the fuel problem, but I'm not sure what's throwing the KAM code??????????????????????? Bear in mind that the EEC IV system will not give a reading when the check engine light is constantly on during the test??????????

I dearly long for the old carbuerated engines

Post Thanks / Like

If you're loosing fuel pressure Samm it could be the fuel pump. Doesn't that rig have an in-tank pump?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tensaiteki, and Sandy

I sat down and took time to read the material you both linked to this morning. At least it gives me a direction to pursue this morning.

This truck was built prior to July 1994, and has the older OBD I diagnostics, which isn't too good. The OBD II is much better

Duane........I'm showing good static pressure (engine not running, key off) holding at 40psi. Running pressure with the pressure regulator enabled (vacuum source connected) is around 35psi. With the vaccum source disconnected the pressure climbs up to 42psi. All of these values fall within acceptable factory specs. BUT the stupid thing, now that it's running again, will unexpectedley lope during idle, or while running at high rpm. The test guage shows a momentary rise in pressure when this happens.

I hope doing the welding a while back on the bed didn't ruin the PCM. I disconnected both battery cables during the process. And the truck ran fine for a few weeks after the welding was complete.

Only odd thing that happened was the battery draining one night when I forgot to close the hood, and we had a heavy rain. Battery was completely dead in the morning Something got wet, and created a ground fault I'm thinking.

Anyhow, thanks again guys I'll check out the fuse and circuit this AM

Won the best offer bid on Ebay, and got the BOOK coming next week (4 books for one truck)

Post Thanks / Like

Well here's the bad news, It's FRIED

Good news, 125 dollars for rebuilt ECU

I happened on a service bulletin from Ford QMV program stating that not only do you have to disconnect the battery cables when welding, BUT ALSO THE ABS HARNES AND ECU HARNESS

I hope this info helps someone

Post Thanks / Like

Don't peel the cabbage yet.
    Let's have a picture of this beauty.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Don't peel the cabbage yet.
    Let's have a picture of this beauty.

Good Luck
    Had a good discussion with one of the mechanics at the Ford dealer, (imagine that, they actually talk to me, most guys won't because they think you're trying to get information for free, but I make a point of buying ALL parts for the Fords thru these guys, it's payback for the help) Plus, you really need to keep your local dealer in business because there are "dealer only" parts that can mean life or death. I know it's a subject for debate, but it's the way of the world.

Any stray voltage either thru the positive side of the system, or the negative side, can screw up the PCM. Surge damage. Severe shock can damage the PCM, such as dropping it, or a bad front end collision. Water can damage it (one ol' boy was picking up parts and told me his woes...........96 truck with the PCM mounted on the fender well filled with water over time and that was that, maybe the same hood open deal)

Here's the interesting thing. My 94 F-150 needed a catalytic convertor, and I had it done at a shop because I can't MIG outside in my "shop". Guy welded the new convertor in, and no problems with the PCM even though no cables or harnesses were disconnected. Go figure

I did notice, while reading the schematics, and checking relays etc., that the power input to the PCM is diode protected. I wonder if the MIG process (DCEP) is safe to a certain point due to the diode?

While I did all of the welding to the bed mounts on the truck using DCEP 7018, I did tack all of the steel with 6013 AC. I wonder if the AC current defeated the diode protection, and allowed stray current into the PCM. Welding current is 25 volts at high amps.

The guy at Ford told me to take a look inside the PCM, and look for burn marks on the circuit board. It is a sign of a powerful surge. I looked, but found no burn marks.

Funny thing is, the truck didn't run too well before my welding.

The truck has run rich, black smoke on rapid acceleration, backfiring after quick to-the-floor accelerator pedal. I have never seen a computer controlled engine do this. Backfiring is a sign of unburned gasoline entering the exhaust system and combusting in the pipe. Lots of soot in the tailpipe. No codes were ever set for adaptive limits on air/fuel mixture No codes were ever set for 02 sensor problems either

And, remember this truck was welded on before I bought it.

A good mystery

The Ford guys also told me that the OBD I system is like finding a needle in a haystack. It simply isn't a good diagnostic system, and can lead to replacing things that really don't need replacing. Apparently the OBD II system is far superior. Problem with the truck I own is that it was built prior to July of the model year, and the OBD II system wasn't incorporated until after July.

On the bright side, the truck still has the EEC IV module, it doesn't have to be flashed. Apparently the newer system has to be flashed before it's operational. The EEC IV system is ready to go off the shelf.

For anybody that has to deal with a problem like this, here's a pic of the part number. The modules are engine, and transmission sensitive, you can't mix and match. Cal emissions modules are different from Federal emissions modules too.

This truck is 7.5 liter gas, manual transmission, Federal emissions. Nothing else will match unless, as subsequently stated, there is a crossover within a few year models.

The second line of numbers are the pertinent numbers. While I'm sure there's crossover numbers from different years (your junkyard guy will know this), this is the number to look at. F4TF and AKA are the important letters/numbers.

I HATE ELECTRICAL STUFF

Post Thanks / Like

Based on your description of the 'pre-bed mounting upgrade' performance and operational symptoms I'd have to say the current situation has nothing to do with your welding on the rig.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

The truck has run rich, black smoke on rapid acceleration, backfiring after quick to-the-floor accelerator pedal. I have never seen a computer controlled engine do this. Backfiring is a sign of unburned gasoline entering the exhaust system and combusting in the pipe. Lots of soot in the tailpipe. No codes were ever set for adaptive limits on air/fuel mixture No codes were ever set for 02 sensor problems either

And, remember this truck was welded on before I bought it.
    I'm with Duane, welding might not be your problem.

I just had a thought, have you checked all the wiring / wiggled connectors. Rich fuel can be caused by other things like the water temp sensor or intake air temp. There are other things, but it's just a thought.

If it thinks it is a cold engine it will put lots of fuel into the engine and produce what you are talking about. Trust me, at -40 below you crank the engine, it kicks out lots of gas and they start. The computer figures it all out.

Hope you have better luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Weren't these notorious for fuel pressure regulator problems?

Don't you have any high bridges near you?

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a wiggle test, but no results.

The real clincher is the KAM failure. The PCM doesn't have any RAM memory capability anymore I guess. I did test for power in, and good grounds. So the PCM is receiving voltage in the key off position. Cleared all codes by disconnecting the bat, and the KAM failure code popped up again on a KOEO test.

It's trying to "relearn" all the parameters constantly, and falling back on limp mode direct from ROM. At least that's the way I understand it.

I'm thinking that I might check the power circuits upstream from the PCM. I do notice some clicking sound from the PCM relay during idle and at other times under the hood. I may have an intermittant somewhere that continually disconnects the power to the PCM, and clears all memory, hence no stored codes and no stored "strategy". I hope I'll know more when I get the diagnosis manual in the mail. I really need to sit down and learn the theory behind the operation of the module. If I can get a handle on it, then I'll have a better common sense approach to figuring out what's wrong.

As it is now..........I get a 111 "system pass" code, followed by a 512 "KAM failure" code. Obviously the 111 code is triggered by no stored trouble codes brought on by the KAM failure. No memory, no stored codes, and the system thinks it's all wine and roses.

GIVE ME A NEW SET OF POINTS, AND A NEW CONDENSOR, AND I'LL RULE THE WORLD I'll FedEx the pollution to the Taliban, and AlKida

Post Thanks / Like

. . .I'll FedEx the pollution to the Taliban, and AlKida
    What? UPS in, FedEx out?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really trying to focus on non computer problems. I hear that it's the hardest thing to do. We all first try to blame the complex electronics before we look to the older simpler problems that have always occured in autos.

Service manager at Ford told me that the older OBD I system can have you chasing your tail. Codes can be set by totally unrelated problems.

Post Thanks / Like

KISS(keep it simple stupid)

BE THE ELECTRONS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Weren't these notorious for fuel pressure regulator problems?

Don't you have any high bridges near you?

Good Luck
    Might be time for a trip across the Bay Bridge

A good soaking might do the thing some good

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds exactly like my 86 Tempo. No codes, spent about 4 days in the shop. Took it home (blowing black smoke the whole way) & popped the hood. Found out the O2 sensor wire had burnt off, but hadn't broken ground so no codes were ever set. Replaced the O2 sensor, car ran like it did when new. No more black smoke, no running rich, backfiring or poor gas mileage.

I couldn't see the bad wire, but all indications were the O2 sensor was out even without the code. Might pull the O2 sensor & test it according to the manual.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

from Timber Country to the Golden Triangle
    Post Thanks / Like

It's trying to "relearn" all the parameters constantly
    Computer Alzheimer's
    Mike
    Constans Fides et Integritas
    Lincoln Weldanpower 150 AC
    Airco Aircomatic MIGet CAV II w/ spoolgun
    Millermatic 30a wirefeeder

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist