+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fresh Air: Pneumatic Tools, Built in USA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fresh Air: Pneumatic Tools, Built in USA

The pre-owned Sioux 270A-2X Rivet Gun ($160) arrived. Operationally sound and in excellent condition. However, the lagniappe in the deal was the acquisition of the lot of these vintage parallel jaw Coes wrenches for $20. The larger wrenches are 18in length, while the smaller one is 10in. HD all the way.

@ killdozerd11 - LoL. Variety is the spice of life. My bride's Aunt, who recently passed away, was indeed a Rosie the Riveter for Boeing in WA during WWII. She had some impressive stories from back in the day.

Now, it's time for rivet ops "101"
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ManoKai; 01-30-2015 at 05:19 PM.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ManoKai View Post
    The pre-owned Sioux 270A-2X Rivet Gun ($160) arrived. Operationally sound and in excellent condition. However, the lagniappe in the deal was the acquisition of the lot of these vintage parallel jaw Coes wrenches for $20. The larger wrenches are 18in length, while the smaller one is 10in. HD all the way.

@ killdozerd11 - LoL. Variety is the spice of life. My bride's Aunt, who recently passed away, was indeed a Rosie the Riveter for Boeing in WA during WWII. She had some impressive stories from back in the day.

Now, it's time for rivet ops "101"
    Love those handles.

Post Thanks / Like

@ mikecwik - Me2. What's not shown is that one of the 18in'r has a partially cracked/missing wooden section and could use some TLC. You can see the brass (?) pin that holds the wood to the iron. Would like to tackle a repair to this handle. These are smooth run'n screw wrenches. The pros tell me they were used on the RR circuit. Almost like precursors to our modern adjustable wrench. Time pieces.....
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my Aircat 6275 3 inch corner grinderName:  uploadfromtaptalk1426033234500.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  41.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

@ colindstark - just noticed this post. Awesome! How's she run'n for you? AirCat's have a great reputation.

Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly a pneumatical tool, but the item has been used recently in conjunction with a Quincy 2-Stage Compressor for chip removal action.

Shown below is a recently acquired Made in USA Die & Threader set of WWII vintage. The background on the 62ea piece kit: Pratt & Whitney since 1860 has been building aerospace and tooling equipment in the United States of America. This kit, covering sizes 2-56 through 12-28 NC and Fine, consists of 15ea adjustable dies and taper, intermediate, and bottoming threaders for each size. All components are in pristine condition and presently coated in cosmoline.

This kit has rarely seen sunlight. The ORIGINAL owner, a Navy machinist who in the 1940s who served during WWII, gave the ultimate sacrifice and was cut down off the beaches of France in 1944. The CL seller who sold me the kit informed me the WWII Veteran was the seller's wife's uncle. In addition, the set has been in storage since the 1940s.

Feel honored to have met the CL seller, learned the rich history of the Veteran and the kit, and acquired the tool. Having personally walked the beaches of Normandy, can tell you that this kit is "special" and will never depart our shop. Next steps include removing all cosmoline using mineral spirits and a soft brush. God Bless the USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Tap & Die set
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

recently purchased a reman USA made IR air hammer. .498 shank. going to make some real industrial furniture like this early 1900's piece

Post Thanks / Like

Top Cat (Willoughby, OH) design/builds some awesome tools. An industry leader in the high end, heavy duty, rapid material removal market. Targeted industries inclue steel/iron foundry, aluminum foundry, and light/heavy fabricators.

Had an opportunity to visit their factory this week. Top-tier design, manufacturing, testing, and development facilities, replete with state-of-the-art equipment. The tools are vintage influenced, with clean lines and built like tanks. Their lead tech/designer showed me the work "flow", provided hands-on of tooling, and fielded all technical/historical questions with context and candor. A bright and professional individual.

Will def be adding a Top Cat pneumatic tool to our inventory soon.
    Last edited by ManoKai; 10-23-2015 at 08:44 AM. Reason: sp3lling

Post Thanks / Like

Don't count out Nitto Kohki. Very high quality, made in Japan.

Recently got this Belton B-20, along with a Dynabrade 1800 RPM polisher and an older Belton B-30 missing the arm assy.

Got $235 in it all.

Post Thanks / Like

@ colindstark - just noticed this post. Awesome! How's she run'n for you? AirCat's have a great reputation.
    It's been working great I had looked at the topcat models but didn't have $800 laying around but this one is getting it donefor me.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jimmy_pop - nice vintage IR air hammer! How does she run? Have you started the rivet project we discussed?
    Last edited by ManoKai; 12-31-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: truncated last sentence

Post Thanks / Like

@ Jimmy_pop - nice vintage IR air hammer! How does she run? Have you started the rivet project we discussed?
    no i have not used it yet. I am hoping that in 2016 I can make some progress on this front. I am hoping I can offer some things without MIG or TIG welding but welded the old fashion way. we will see. I can dream right.

Happy New Year!! Sorry I forgot to text you back. I'll do that now

Post Thanks / Like

A close friend and fellow fabricator recently acquired a pre-owned Dynabrade 4" RA Grinder (#54777). 0.7 Hp @ 13,500 rip'ems with rear exhaust in an extended/composite housing. Scored for $190. These grinder retails for $650-700.

He's stoked to run with her on his rotary screw compressor. 4lbs of heavy-duty American craftsmanship.

Post Thanks / Like

Targeting a Kett P540 Pneumatic Double Cut Shear. Our requirement is for straightline cuts on 14ga CR and 16ga stainless sheat metal. The Swiss-made Trumpf S250-6/7s are really/really nice but currently above our price point.

Interested to learn a) any fabricators who own/operate a Kett pneumatic double cut shear and their experiences with the tool, and b) other recommended Made in USA (or Swiss, German, Austrian) alternatives that met our tech requirements.

Have no interest in any HorrorFreight or FarEast gear.
    Last edited by ManoKai; 08-20-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kai,
    Once you get a shear, can you let me know which one and how it performs? I want my work to purchase one but need some reviews or guidance on a good model.

Thanks
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

@ psacustomcreations - you got it sir. PM me if you have a co$t band you are looking to invest.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20161104_194650.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  43.8 KB
    Name:  20161104_194741.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  51.9 KB
    Name:  20161104_194636.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  43.7 KB
    Name:  20161104_194625.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  66.7 KB

Sioux makes excellent air tools but not all of them are made in USA. I buy Milton air fittings and Goodyear air hoses both made in USA. I won't buy a Mexican made Lincoln welder even if it was %50 less than a Miller or Hobart. Most of my welding equipment is vintage anyway but I have 2 Lincoln Invertec welders with the best arc quality on the planet.

It matters to me where my tools are made. MAGA! If we don't buy American made products we are contributing to our own demise as a country. I know it's almost impossible to find things that are made in the US but I always check. Even the small things like air fittings.

Post Thanks / Like

Some brands to look into are Thor , Dotco , Sioux , Powerhouse tools , Climax to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

@ 69sa200 - nice Sioux. Like the fine wire cup you have integrated. Just gave me an idea.

We run a 2x Sioux aircraft rivet gun and a sweet Sioux air drill. Both Made in USA. Very high quality, smooth operation, and strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Kai,
    Once you get a shear, can you let me know which one and how it performs? I want my work to purchase one but need some reviews or guidance on a good model. Thanks
    Kett P-540 Pneumatic Double Cut Shear. Enroute. Scored a nice deal on Amazon. PM me if you want to test run her or use the shears on a project. She's claimed solid up to 14ga MS and 16ga in SS.
    Last edited by ManoKai; 11-19-2016 at 06:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Kai,
    Once you get a shear, can you let me know which one and how it performs? I want my work to purchase one but need some reviews or guidance on a good model.

Thanks
    Our Kett P-540 arrived today. HeavyDuty and smooth operator, Sade style. Rip curl'd 16ga mild steel like a dream. Images of the tool and TIG'n the curl to 16ga sheet metal. The DynaSwivel was gifted to us from Dynabrade.

Hit me if you want to borrow her for your builds.

Name:  IMG_2643.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2649.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  74.7 KB
    Last edited by ManoKai; 11-23-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Forget about the tool, can you photoshop my welds to look that good? 😀

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

New air weps from Dotco. We were blessed to acquire this entire lot from an industry partner of ours back in Mar for $125. All fully operational. Time to grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back Kai. Missed your informed commentary.
    Jerry
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist