Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Looking for the good, bad and ugly....besides that its made in china and its not a Hobart, Lincoln, miller, yada yada, etc.

    I've checked reviews and found some threads of folks who have had their hybrid 200 for a few years , many with heavy use. so far, no horror stories.

    its a ARC/MIG/Flux right out of the box and NT sells the kit to add TIG to it.

    It's the newer technology inverter design (not MOSFET).

    This system seems to have everything that matters.

    So this basically (once you buy the TIG kit), is a 4 in one unit. Any other 4 in 1 units out there?

    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5145_200485145

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Granite Falls, NC
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Longevity PROMTS200 and Everlast MTS200 have similar capabilities and a few more features but they are significantly more money, especially since they come with a TIG torch but not a spool gun. The Longevity Migweld 200S is closer in price with some nice features but the spool gun they carry for it is not rated for very high amps and it is not listed as TIG capable.

    The Northern welder looks like a good deal.
    Lincoln SA200, HH135, Lencospot, HF80 Inverter, Rockwell 11x35 lathe, HF drill mill, Kama 554 tractor w/ FEL & BH, Belarus 250AS, lot's of Chinese tools

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lockhart,Tx (BBQ capitol of the world)
    Posts
    1,137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Looks encouraging! All Tweco style mig parts. A real 50 amp cord and plug makes the 140/200 amp specs seem more realistic! Tig is DC only and scratch start so no aluminum!
    PRICE!
    Not a production machine but might be perfect for garage hacks like me.
    I might have to go by and finger one!
    This machine might make me take the leap from my 47 year old Lincoln AC225.
    Just wish I knew someone who had actually used one.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    a few guys on this forum have this unit and have a thread about it. one fellow had his unit for two years. I'm pacing the floor deciding if I should pull the trigger.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Granite Falls, NC
    Posts
    242
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    If your local store stocks it (mine does not)
    http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...313_coupon.pdf

    Otherwise these codes are good online: 178055 for $10 off $50 purchase, 178056 for $5 off $15, 178054 for $20 off $100
    Lincoln SA200, HH135, Lencospot, HF80 Inverter, Rockwell 11x35 lathe, HF drill mill, Kama 554 tractor w/ FEL & BH, Belarus 250AS, lot's of Chinese tools

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,472
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    My local supplier has the Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i FREE SHIPPING 230Volt Mig/Tig/Stick Machine Part# W1003181 Free Autodark Helmet from Thermadyne with purchase .http://www.weldersupply.com/P/538/Th...Fabricator181i

    or the 211i, http://www.weldersupply.com/P/605/Fa...iPartWFREESHIP http://www.weldersupply.com/C/9/WeldingMachines

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Not that it matters, but the spool gun for this Northern machine looks identical to the spool gun for longevity's promts 200 mig. And the welder looks very similiar to Eastwood's 200a mig/stick welder. I guess most of these things are made in the same factory in China. I am really considering getting this setup from Northern since the price is better.
    http://www.longevity-inc.com/spool-g...t-spool-gun-8m
    http://www.eastwood.com/200-amp-mig-...ck-welder.html
    Last edited by TheGizz; 03-01-2014 at 11:57 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Blazer View Post
    If your local store stocks it (mine does not)
    http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...313_coupon.pdf

    Otherwise these codes are good online: 178055 for $10 off $50 purchase, 178056 for $5 off $15, 178054 for $20 off $100
    Thanks for the codes

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Blazer View Post
    If your local store stocks it (mine does not)
    http://www.northerntool.com/images/d...313_coupon.pdf

    Otherwise these codes are good online: 178055 for $10 off $50 purchase, 178056 for $5 off $15, 178054 for $20 off $100
    found some more codes,
    178053 for $5 off $25
    178057 for $20 off $100
    178058 for $5 off $25
    178059 for $5 off $15

    which was handy...pays the shipping if you break up your order into pieces

    thanks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    So after thinking about this over the weekend as well as looking at some welders at homedepot, harbor freight, I decided to go with the northern tools hybrid 200. I ordered the optional tig gun, gun tip kit, helmet, extra wire, extra glass. so now I am all set for TIG, MIG, Stick/ARC, Flux and have a spool gun.

    I broke the orderup into pieces and was able to use a coupon code on every item.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
    So after thinking about this over the weekend as well as looking at some welders at homedepot, harbor freight, I decided to go with the northern tools hybrid 200. I ordered the optional tig gun, gun tip kit, helmet, extra wire, extra glass. so now I am all set for TIG, MIG, Stick/ARC, Flux and have a spool gun.

    I broke the orderup into pieces and was able to use a coupon code on every item.
    speakerfritz, if you haven't ordered the welder yet, Here is a $50 off $250 online code which would bring it down to $599. 179771

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
    So after thinking about this over the weekend as well as looking at some welders at homedepot, harbor freight, I decided to go with the northern tools hybrid 200. I ordered the optional tig gun, gun tip kit, helmet, extra wire, extra glass. so now I am all set for TIG, MIG, Stick/ARC, Flux and have a spool gun.

    I broke the orderup into pieces and was able to use a coupon code on every item.

    I ordered one also this week. It is supposed to be delivered to my local store on Tuesday.
    I have been using my Weld Pak 155 to build a couple of smokers, and don't want to stress it too much, so I got the slightly larger machine for the extra duty cycle, and the Aluminum potential.

    We'll see...
    I am pretty optimistic at this point.

    I had originally ordered the reconditioned MIG 235, but I guess someone completed their order before I did, and I missed out on it.

    Be sure to fill us in when you get yours.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGizz View Post
    speakerfritz, if you haven't ordered the welder yet, Here is a $50 off $250 online code which would bring it down to $599. 179771
    maybe I can get an adjustment. thanks for the code

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
    maybe I can get an adjustment. thanks for the code
    I sent an email about the discount and they credited me the 30 dollar difference. so thanks for the update.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    That's Great

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
    I sent an email about the discount and they credited me the 30 dollar difference. so thanks for the update.
    Please keep us updated on how the welder performs

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGizz View Post
    Please keep us updated on how the welder performs

    so far...works great..the infinite dial in of settings is a great feature. used the ARC and FLUX processes so far. Need to get some gas for the spool gun, MIG and TIG. I have both the #17 TIG torch from NT as well as the mini TIG torch from eastwood.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
    so far...works great..the infinite dial in of settings is a great feature. used the ARC and FLUX processes so far. Need to get some gas for the spool gun, MIG and TIG. I have both the #17 TIG torch from NT as well as the mini TIG torch from eastwood.
    I had very inconsistent wire feed, especially at lower settings, to the point that the wire would burn back into the tip way too often.
    This happened almost every time I changed the gun position.
    The drive roll is not knurled, so any little resistance from a crooked cable would cause the rollers to slip - even with the tension as high as it would go.

    The drive roll in my Lincoln 155 Weld Pak, which is knurled, is a perfect fit, so I swapped them, and the wire now feeds consistently, so the issue is easily overcome.
    It is way hotter than the Lincoln, and at about 1/2 power, the gun was starting to get pretty warm.

    The arc seems a little more harsh than the Lincoln, and I will be interested in seeing how it handles outside corner welds on 16 gauge.
    I know it will be far better than the red machine on the 1/4 inch outside corner welds.

    The stick functionality is acceptable, and predictable, but probably not as nice as the stick function on my little black Harbor Freight Stick/Tig machine, though a tad more amperage is available.
    ...and of course it won't burn as big a rod as my 250 amp Miller Twin

    So far, still a good purchase. I will know more when I start my next pit, will involve 63" welds on the end caps.
    It will only be 1/8" material, so the settings will be medium at best, so probably not a real test of duty cycle, but of consistency, anyway.

    I have a 60 amp line and a 40 amp line to the garage, so I can run two machines at the same time.
    (When one of my sons comes over) - mig - mig, tig - tig, stick - stick, or any combination.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by geezerbill View Post
    I had very inconsistent wire feed, especially at lower settings, to the point that the wire would burn back into the tip way too often.
    This happened almost every time I changed the gun position.
    The drive roll is not knurled, so any little resistance from a crooked cable would cause the rollers to slip - even with the tension as high as it would go.

    The drive roll in my Lincoln 155 Weld Pak, which is knurled, is a perfect fit, so I swapped them, and the wire now feeds consistently, so the issue is easily overcome.
    It is way hotter than the Lincoln, and at about 1/2 power, the gun was starting to get pretty warm.

    The arc seems a little more harsh than the Lincoln, and I will be interested in seeing how it handles outside corner welds on 16 gauge.
    I know it will be far better than the red machine on the 1/4 inch outside corner welds.

    The stick functionality is acceptable, and predictable, but probably not as nice as the stick function on my little black Harbor Freight Stick/Tig machine, though a tad more amperage is available.
    ...and of course it won't burn as big a rod as my 250 amp Miller Twin

    So far, still a good purchase. I will know more when I start my next pit, will involve 63" welds on the end caps.
    It will only be 1/8" material, so the settings will be medium at best, so probably not a real test of duty cycle, but of consistency, anyway.

    I have a 60 amp line and a 40 amp line to the garage, so I can run two machines at the same time.
    (When one of my sons comes over) - mig - mig, tig - tig, stick - stick, or any combination.
    three comments on the wire feed problem

    a) you can use washers to move the spool further away from the firewall....in its current position, the wire rubs the spoll edge most of the time..with the washers the wire travels center alinged and does not rub. I used 3 wasers between the spool and the firewall....1/2 hole I beleive.

    b) check with grove you are using...I had some wire slippage initially then realized I was using the wrong groove...flip the wheel to use the other groove...also...a thin washer before puting the wheel back on helped with the align ment better...you want the groove to line up with the center of the white pvc pipe before tighening down.

    c) I bought this roller for 6 bucks

    http://www.eastwood.com/knurled-driv...r-mig-135.html

    this roller uses the same install hole (no keyway) and is slightly larger...about 1/16th of an inch. The slign increase in size does an excellent job of having the wire track in the slot better and cause the wire to be unrolled slightly in the oppisite direction of the spool curl...so wire feeds are much better.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Yup, had the correct groove.
    I will add the washers to see if it helps the drag, and thanks for the link to the Eastwood roller.
    I am sure my 155 will be glad to have its roller back.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Glen Mills, PA
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use knurled rollers with flux core anyway, FYI. Smooth is for Mig.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by wade23454 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you are supposed to use knurled rollers with flux core anyway, FYI. Smooth is for Mig.
    ...and it is nice to know the readily available rollers for the small Lincoln and Eastwood fit the machine.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    32
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Northerntool industrial hybrid 200 multi process welder

    Quote Originally Posted by geezerbill View Post
    ...and it is nice to know the readily available rollers for the small Lincoln and Eastwood fit the machine.
    the roller also fits the Northern Tool machines. you just have to watch for keyway vs no keyway.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,607,105,583.62653 seconds with 11 queries