+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lars66 unveils entry, "Oldest Welder" competition - Lincoln 400 amp w/Hercules diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Lars66 unveils entry, "Oldest Welder" competition - Lincoln 400 amp w/Hercules diesel

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Bought an old Lincoln 400 amp portable welder on a old John Deere running gear Friday. This should be an interesting machine to get running as it has a pony engine start Hercules diesel for power + a large ac 115 volt generator. My second hand information is this was a pipeline welder.
    . . .Alfred isn't pushing this one off a bridge!
    (At least not by himself )

Take it away Lars

Here are some pictures, forwarded from Lars66:
    Attachment 43500

Attachment 43501

Attachment 43502

Below are a couple of pictures showing the very unique "pony start" system.
    The "pony" is a small, easy to start, gasoline engine, which is started first, and then engaged to crank the large diesel to life; from the days before large electric starter systems were refined.
    Attachment 43504

Attachment 43505

Good score Lars.
    Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lars66 unveils entry, "Oldest Welder" competition - Lincoln 400 amp w/Hercules di

Those are awsome !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lars66 unveils entry, "Oldest Welder" competition - Lincoln 400 amp w/Hercules di

What no compressed air start or shotgun starter cartridge?

Nice old machine.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you could drive it away, just needs a seat and a steering wheel.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard about the old Lincolns powered by Herc diesels but have never seen one, looks like an awesome project!
    RD

1984 Chevrolet C30 welding truck
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Continental F162
    1942 Lincoln SA200 Hercules IXB-5
    1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tanglediver View Post
    It looks like you could drive it away, just needs a seat and a steering wheel.
    Now that you mention it, some of the first commercial engine drives, circa 1910, were on dedicated carriers, truck-type and rail-type.

Post Thanks / Like

Neat project machine!

Post Thanks / Like

in 75 , inthe taconite mines in minn, i had the good fortune to use a 500 amp lincoln deizel { 353 detroit} and there was a footpedel {remote} that you could mash down upon ifin ya wanted a little moor poop so as to dig in a little harder ! fantastic machine to make footage on the roundseam.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i'm gotta learn to teach myself to spell and type.

Post Thanks / Like

Lars66 has been busy.

He's freshened up the Hercules BXB pony engine.
    Attachment 47798
    Attachment 47799
    Attachment 47800
    It was in good shape, mostly just filthy.
    Valves have been lapped, and the carb and mag treated to a rebuild.

Here's the pony engine fitted to the Lars66 Custom Dyno Stand, getting ready for its first run since who-knows-when:
    Attachment 47801
    Attachment 47802
    She purrs like a kitten.

With the starting engine up and running, it's on to reviving the main engine, a Hercules DJXC.

Stay tuned
    Last edited by denrep; 10-19-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good old Hercules power, very cool!
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like

First off a Big thank you to DENREP. I thought the diesel would be running long before this but, there has been one medical issue after another with the wife. I also got side tracked when I bought a 1949 US Motors generator with a Hercules IXB5 natural gas engine. The generator was a standby unit from a fire station that had been in private ownership since removal and was in remarkable condition. I jumped right on this since it looked like a quick project. Yeah, right, I never seen so many time consuming problems with a low hour machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this thing on CL not to long ago. Is this the sameone

Daye

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigmusky View Post
    I saw this thing on CL not to long ago. Is this the sameone

Daye
    It probably is. I had the magneto repaired up in your neck of the woods. The personal life has settled down for now but the shop work has picked up so I will have to spend more time with that. I have two 24"x 30' augers to build so that is going to delay this welder project more. If you get down this way you are welcome to stop and take a look at it.

Post Thanks / Like

I made a little progress Sat. afternoon on the diesel. My friend Ben was here a week or so ago and not a bit impressed that I have the starting motor going, he wants to see the diesel running! The pressure is on now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates Lars, good to hear she's getting closer to running and welding!
    RD

1991 Lincoln LN25

Post Thanks / Like

Thought I would update this a little. I have started working on the Hercules diesel and have found the reason it was parked, the starter ring gear is thrashed , as it was machined into the flywheel this wont be an easy fix. Right now I am ready to pull the motor to try getting the generator off to get to the flywheel, hope the coupler will come apart. There is only one set screw that can be removed from the coupler so I hope that is the key. Lincoln wasn't taking any chances that anyone would take out the wrong bolts, all the heads are welded.
    Last edited by lars66; 09-06-2011 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

attachments do not work can you re post them?

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to see the picks also i have an 80s lincoln sae 400

Post Thanks / Like

thought i would update this a little. I have started working on the hercules diesel and have found the reason it was parked, the starter ring gear is thrashed , as it was machined into the flywheel this wont be an easy fix. Right now i am ready to pull the motor to try getting the generator off to get to the flywheel, hope the coupler will come apart. There is only one set screw that can be removed from the coupler so i hope that is the key. Lincoln wasn't taking any chances that anyone would take out the wrong bolts, all the heads are welded.
    Name:  WWlarrLH.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  130.9 KB

Name:  WWlarsRH.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  124.5 KB

Name:  WWlarsEngLH.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  134.2 KB

Starting "pony" engine pics:
    Name:  WWlarsPonyTop.jpg
Views: 1909
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  WWlarsPony2.jpg
Views: 1916
Size:  127.6 KB
    Last edited by denrep; 09-06-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

that is really nice it will be sweet when ur done with it

Post Thanks / Like

Would any one have an idea how far onto the ring gear starter drive engagement should be? Opinions on what rod, wire or tig filler to build up the teeth on the flywheel? The starter drive is in perfect shape and the nose bushing, washer has already been shortend to give more engagement, but its still not enough. As a very last resort I have been consideriing turning off 1/8' on the nose casting.

Post Thanks / Like

Would any one have an idea how far onto the ring gear starter drive engagement should be? Opinions on what rod, wire or tig filler to build up the teeth on the flywheel? The starter drive is in perfect shape and the nose bushing, washer has already been shortend to give more engagement, but its still not enough. As a very last resort I have been consideriing turning off 1/8' on the nose casting.
    I don't have any recommendations for build up. Normally the gears are hardened, but maybe something else......

You shouldn't have to go through, all that you have, to get the starter to engage.

Can the flywheel be put on reversed? Kind of like, an automotive flexplate?

Also, measure the diameter and tooth count and head to NAPA. Ring gears, of the past, were replaceable. Which also, might be the cause of the problem. The replacement process entails getting the gear hot, it expands, and then placed on the flywheel. The problems start if it is in the wrong position, or upside down, as it cools. Let it cool, slowly, on it's own.

To take off the old gear, use a wafer wheel and make a light, perpendicular, cut. Be careful not to go too deep and damage the flywheel.

The replacement shouldn't be too hard to find.

I hope that this helps......

-Rhyno
    Last edited by Rhyno; 09-13-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....

Post Thanks / Like

After going back and reading one of your older posts, you said that the flywheel looks to be machined. Can you post a good picture?

-Rhyno
    07 Fowler 200D
    65 RedFace
    04 Miller TB 302, 22hp
    Miller 12RC
    Miller HF 251-1
    Lincoln SP135
    HyperTherm PM 380
    and a few others...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    But, if I "all of a sudden disappear.... ...." hopefully I didn't suffer too much....

Post Thanks / Like

A few photos of the Hercules powered Lincoln that lars66 is saving from the scrap pile.

Name:  exhside.jpg
Views: 1644
Size:  51.5 KB

@70 years worth of grime removed.

Name:  injside.jpg
Views: 1653
Size:  70.0 KB

The good side

Name:  teeth.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  53.9 KB

The ring gear turned out to be only 3/4 of the way on! The starter drive had been modified
    to get more engagement, as you can imagine it did not work. We were able to remove the
    ring gear and flip it over to the other side. Each tooth had a bevel cut in it to lead the starter
    gear in. I lost count grinding them in but I think there was 103 teeth

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist