Thread: hi there, need metal

Post Thanks / Like

hi there, need metal

Hi Gerard here,
    I'm wanting to tig a T-top for my boat from 1 1/2 inch alum tube, I think 1/8th inch wall.

I'm just south of Boston and looking for a supplier, I think I need 8 foot sections, around 7 to get started on the frame. Its basically a sunshade if you've never seen one.
    Does anyone know a supplier, I'd prefer to see it before buying as I'm not familiar.
    I tried google, not much luck, macmaster carr is way too expensive.

I built one from elec conduit last yr and would like to replace it with alum due to saltwater enviroment and corrosion.

And will the HF bender work on this or will it kink.
    I bought 90deg pre-bent sections when I used conduit.

Is T6 ok for this project ?

Heres a short slideshow of the project done with condiit, it worked ok.
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...view=slideshow

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hi there, need metal

I don't know how far away these guys are from you.

http://www.piercealuminum.com/contact-franklin.php

I've dealt with their Pa location a few times. All the other places I know of are smaller local places to me. They do have some good online info on sizes and types of alum on their web site if you do a bit of looking.

How did you plan to weld this? I ask this because it doesn't sound from your post like you may be equiped to do this sort of thing.

There are several guys here who do boat towers and all. I'll let them recomend an alloy.

Good luck.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 200 amp AC/DC Tig , plasma cutter, elec metal saw , lathe, mill etc.

The location you gave is only 30 minutes away from me, thats ideal thanks.
    I'll take a drive and have a chat with them...next year.
    cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I figured they couldn't be too far away. It's not that big a state.

Post up some picts when you get started. The ones I looked at on you link were pretty good. As far as the tools, yeah you're all set. I was thinking maybe you had a little 110v mig possibly. Usually those sorts of "where do I find..." questions are from guys starting out not realizing what they need to weld alum.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Cool. I figured they couldn't be too far away. It's not that big a state.

Post up some picts when you get started. The ones I looked at on you link were pretty good. As far as the tools, yeah you're all set. I was thinking maybe you had a little 110v mig possibly. Usually those sorts of "where do I find..." questions are from guys starting out not realizing what they need to weld alum.
    I been through that phase already, I looked into buying a $500 spoolgun for my mig but its probably best leaving the mig to steel.

Just been to harbour freight, they gave me a 25% coupon for january 1st, so I guess I have to go back there tommorow too. What to buy...what to buy...

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ya jonesg and Welcome to the Welding Web Family. Sounds like you have gotten some good info. A 25% off coupon wow thats a Christmas gift.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.