Thread: exhaust system welding with stick....help!

Post Thanks / Like

exhaust system welding with stick....help!

Hi guys. Have to weld a few joints on my exhaust system and only have an AC\DC stick machine. I've got pretty decent with it over the past year, but nothing as thin as exhaust pipe. Afraid I'm gonna burn right through.
    Any stick/amp suggestions would be very much appreciated. Can't afford to have this done by a pro....at least right now.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Re: exhaust system welding with stick....help!

practice on some sample pipe with various sticks and amp settings until you feel comfortable doing that pipe.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get nice heavy duty exhaust pipe from a muffler shop it can be welded with 3/32" rod without much problem. If got that cheap pipe from a discout parts store beg or borrow a mig welder.
    Tough as nails and damn near as smart

Post Thanks / Like

Use the smallest rod you can. 3/32", 5/64"or 1/16" That lets you keep the amps as low as posible. Usually they list the suggested range on the package.

I know some that can use a fast freeze rod like 6011 to do this. I personally can't on something that thin usually. I'd probably try 6013 and try it both DC+, DC- and see what worked best.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6010/11. Try a 3/32 rod at 50-60a DCEN. Whip it and move quickly and it will work just fine. I'd probably run it at 55a, but definitely not more than 60a.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

Post Thanks / Like

as per specter..get some metal and practice..try 40 amps, if you cantget a puddle try 45....you aintlooking to hold a lot of pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had good luck with 1/16 6013.

Ed
    EdKing

Post Thanks / Like

Second on the 6013. It doesn't have the penetration of 6010/6011, so you're not as likely to burn through. As mention before, a practice piece would be good too.

Post Thanks / Like

By running DCEN, you actually reduce the penetration with a 6011. You also don't have all those slag inclusions the 6013's are famous for. 6013's have to be run 30% hotter than 6011's. Take a look at Lincoln's amperage charts if you don't believe me. Hotter on thin sheet means blow thru. I was doing work that required zero blow thru or the whole piece had to be replaced. It can be done with a 6011 easier...much easier than you think, you just have to dive in and try it. I made Farmersamm a believer in short order. It can be done easily...give it a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DDA52. I'll have to give that a try. I'll have to see if I have any 6011 in the shop in a small size. I know I have 1/8" 6010 and that usually covers anything I've needed. Not sure what misc 6011 might be out there right now.

Just for giggles and grins I may have to pick up a small box of small dia rods at HD and play a bit.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

No worries. Try the 1/8 at 60-65a DCEN with a super short arc and see what happens. 1/8 was what we used for Mexican sheet that burned funny and for 18 ga at times.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you mean the 6010 1/8"? I didn't think it liked DCEN.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

For code work, it isn't kosher. But for exhaust or general work, it works just fine. Give it a try....just remember...super short arc, no hiccups and move quickly while whipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Think I may try the 6011 DCEN first, then go from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! Think I may try the 6011 DCEN first, then go from there.
    I put in new floor pans a number of years ago with 6010 3/32. It is not easy but it worked well.