+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pros and Cons of C-channel and Steel Plate? For welding table?

Post Thanks / Like

Pros and Cons of C-channel and Steel Plate? For welding table?

I'd like to build a welding table for myself and would like to come up with a design. I'd like to know some of your input on the pros and cons of using c-channel or steel plate as tabletop? I recently got 3/4 inch steel plate from a friend (approx 3' x 2.5') I noticed that more and more people are building c-channel welding table for the clamping purposes, which is appealing to me. Is there any reason why a thick plate would be better over c-channel as a tabletop? Is there any advantages that steel plate has over the c-channel for tabletop?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pros and Cons of C-channel and Steel Plate? For welding table?

I used 3/4 plate for stable and it works good strong enough to put heavy parts on and stays fairly flat. I like it and works good for me. I don't know about c channel . I don't have a real good picture but you can see the table on tha right Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  142.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I am letting a young weldor I know use use half my shop for a while and I helped him build a channel table for his shop several years ago. He lost the shop when the owner sold it and he sold the table and some other equipment. I asked him if he was going to build another to put in the shop here and he said yes and no. He loved how you could clamp any where but the channel wasn't of good enough quality for the table to be perfectly flat all over. He is going to build the new one just like it but is going to use 1"x6" flat strap with 2' of one end being solid 1" plate that he already has. We will build it upside down on top of my table that is 1"flat plate. Sounds like it will be a great table to me.
    Last edited by Bob; 03-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I am letting a young weldor I know use use half my shop for a while and I helped him build a channel table for his shop several years ago. He lost the shop when the owner sold it and he sold the table and some other equipment. I asked him if he was going to build another to put in the shop here and he said yes and no. He loved how you could clamp any where but the channel wasn't of good enough quality for the table to be perfectly flat all over. He is going to build the new one just like it but is going to use 1"x6" flat strap with 2' of one end being solid 1" plate that he already has. We will build it upside down on top of my table that is 1"flat plate. Sounds like it will be a great table to me.
    An excellent idea!

Post Thanks / Like

i would use the 3/4 plate that you already got as a bench top and box the channel and use them for the legs. the plate you have isn't very large so you shouldn't have trouble clamping things to it. you could drill holes in the top and use threaded rod for the places clamps won't reach or use half clamps.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Since the plate you have is small, why not do it half and half for a 3' x 5' table?
    Gravel

The difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a table made of flat strap (15mm x 150mm) and it is great how you can clamp anywhere. Make sure to space the supporting structure acording to the clamps you intend to use, or the crossmembers may interfere with the clamps. This happened to me. I absolutely oberbuilt the table and put two full length crossmembers on it so sometimes they get in the way with big clamps. One should have been enough.

I preffer thick flat strap because the channel does not allow you to clamp along its whole lenght... the U shaped gets in the way sometimes! But you need to go thicker because flat strap does not have structural ridgidity on itself (U channel does).

I guess it all depends on how picky you are and what kind of work are you going to be doing (tolerances and such).

Mikel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gravel View Post
    Since the plate you have is small, why not do it half and half for a 3' x 5' table?
    You got me thinking...will try to create a rough dimension of table via SketchUp first...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, thank you for all of your feedback and input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist