Thread: Miller Big 20

Post Thanks / Like

Miller Big 20

Ok so I have searched and found some information, seen a lot of posts from fellas who used these things in the field way back before my time . I understand that the capabilities of them are limited with poor 6010 arc quality . I am doing lots of repair work on the side and home hobbyist work . I am looking for a decent welder/generator . I have the chance to buy one of these it has sat for 2 years , the fella who has it for sale used it but then had a stroke so can no longer move around very well . Im told it needs a carb. Are parts for this old horses still available ? I found carbs online for the older Lincoln gas machines not much for the big 20s ? I could take it home today with trailer and military hitch for 250$ he said it starts and cranks over but isn't getting any gas. Thanks for any help in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller Big 20

I'd say go for it. They used the F162 or 163 Continental engines like the Lincoln SA200 units. Engine parts will not be an issue. Not sure about the generator but I'm sure normal wear items like brushes will be no problem. Sounds like a comprehensive fuel system reconditioning and your good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    I'd say go for it. They used the F162 or 163 Continental engines like the Lincoln SA200 units. Engine parts will not be an issue. Not sure about the generator but I'm sure normal wear items like brushes will be no problem. Sounds like a comprehensive fuel system reconditioning and your good to go

I seem to love older machines by choice anyways . thanks , I was not aware of that similarity with the Lincoln sa200 . I guess that could be why when I searched for carbs those specific ones came up for Lincoln . If I manage to snag this things . I'll repost some pics and some weld shots with it when I get it going!

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a manual for the machine at Miller's website if you have the serial number. Might be a good start.

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Post Thanks / Like

For $250 I wouldn't have left without it. I have a BigD2 which is the same machine except the diesel version. Always loved the way that machine ran 7018.

Post Thanks / Like

Better go over tonight and bring it home!

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to go , but the fella and I had conflicting schedules . I am working 4pm-12pm atm and as I said he was tied up during the day . Hopefully I will get it , I heard the arc on 7018 is buttery smooth , I wish that its arc quality with 6010 was better . Beggars cant be choosers , and I needed a good deal like yesterday !

Post Thanks / Like

The Big 20 is a rectified alternator design to get DC welding current. It is not a pure DC generator like a SA200. That is the difference in the Arc quality as I understand. I'm sure you will do good with the old Miller. If this information is incorrect please correct me

Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Post Thanks / Like

They aren't big power houses as far as a generator goes. I think it was 1984 when I bought mine brand new. It came set up for 110 volt. I switched it to 240 volt and used each of the legs for 120 and then had the option of 240 volt also. If you are doing repair work as I have done for 40 some years you will rarely have any need for 6010. I have only used 6010 a handfull of times when I could not get anything in there to get it cleaned up. I ran that machine steady until 98 when I bought the first Airpack. I Still have it. Runs and welds as good as it did when it was new. Mine has the Perkins diesel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
    Better go over tonight and bring it home!

What's the address? lol
    I'm going to do the thing that God put Galen Beasley on this Earth to do:
    Have Salon quality hair and weld.
    Nothing like a good cup of coffee and the smell of 6010 burning in the morning.
    971-204-3444 cell
    API ASME Structural NDT and Repair

Post Thanks / Like

The deal fell through someone already got it *sigh* owell , something else will come along. I'm honestly glad though because I want something that will run 6010 . I would like to start practicing to pass some state cert tests . And I don't want to be limited . Thanks all for the opinions and input