Thread: cheap MIG OK?

Post Thanks / Like

cheap MIG OK?

Thinking about buying a cheap(Chinese) MIG welder for occasional thin stuff or exhaust work. My Hobart AC/DC and me just can't weld todays "aluminized" exhaust pipe.
    I've tried everything, and I just can't do it.
    My question is, can I get away with a flux core machine for occasional use or do I need a gas shielded machine?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: cheap MIG OK?

do you mean a Hobart stick welder? why not buy a TIG torch for it for doing small stuff, it will be cheaper than getting a new MIG. or you can always oxy weld exhaust pipe.

I'm only suggesting these because I think a cheap welder will let you down one day. only a rich man can afford cheap tools.....

Post Thanks / Like

Since you have a DC machine, why would you want to go with a cheap MIG and Presidential engineering?
    A much better process would be carbon arc and phosphor bronz with DCRP.

1/8 carbon will cost you a lot less than a TIG torch.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesus.....
    UA Local 598

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get one of the 90 ampers,won't go down low enough in amps,plus flux core burns a little hotter than regular mig wire and gas.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WHughes View Post
    Jesus.....
    Don't think he was a weldor.

Might have been a Laborer, or even a Carpenter.
    Not sure which local he worded out of though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a pretty good stick weldor(hobbyist), but I have no idea what the carbon arc process is. Could somebody explain it to me?
    I betcha 5 or 6 times over the past couple years, I run across someones exhaust, or something really thin, and there sits my Hobart. I love the machine, but for my ability, it's just too hot for thin stuff.

Wonder what Mr Hughes meant by "Jesus"? I belong to several internet forums and there's always a smarta&#.

Post Thanks / Like

CTMIKE,

If you'd done ANY homework on your own, you'd find that fluxcore welding and thin metal don't go well together.

I guess some of us just get tired of the BS we see on these boards. "I'm just a hobbiest so can I buy a cheap Chinese POS welder?" Sure. Just expect cheap hobbiest results.

I'm a "hobbiest" woodworker but I don't buy "cheap" tools. Quality tools, taken care of, last a long time (often a lifetime). I derive no gratification from picking up a cheap chisel from the hardware store. Quality tools produce quality work.

You've already got a Chinese plasma cutter. Why not add another piece of Chinese junk (cheap welder). On second thought, why even ask the frigging question.

BTW: I'd love to see some photos of those projects involving the 3/8" and 5/8" plate you refer to in your other thread. Must be working that little Hobart pretty hard, what with the "hundreds of feet of the material you've cut". Wow. Serious hobbiest.
    I know a lot of hobbiests who are really professional in what they accomplish. I don't know many hobbiests who are cheap that produce quality work.
    Last edited by SundownIII; 02-20-2010 at 09:22 PM.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thermal Arcs migs are Chinese. I guess they are junk too. Lincolns little Migs are made in Mexico with chinese and foreign components.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

This may come as a shock to you young fellows, but way back in the last Century we actually welded things together.

There was stick welding and O/A welding long before there was TIG welding, and before some bright fellow found a way to downsize SubArc into MIG.

Back in the 50s a new filler rod called Everdure came out, today its called Phosphor Bronze, and the way to use it was carbon arc DCRP. The material has since been modified to be usable as a O/A rod as well and a TIG rod.

The process is fairly simple.
    Get a 1/8 carbon rod about 3" long (longer tends to shatter when hot) sharpen one end like a pencil, and chuck the other end in your stinger. Connect the stinger DCRP (Reverse Polarity) and the amperage low. Screw around scratch starting an arc till you get the amperage high enough to sustain the arc and prooduce enough heat to turn the weldment red hot in the weld area.

Keep the arc SHORT! Use the carbon just like you'd run a TIG torch, and add filler as youwould with TIG.

Unfortunately, a few years after this process was well developed somebody got TIG ironed out and went to selling those expensive machines. Then young fellows who couldn't weld came along, called themselves Engineers, and read books that saaid TIG was the only way to go, so they specified TIG, and the carbon arc process was forgotten.

Nice thing about carbon arc, it's very portable, its cheap, and you don't have to drag a damn gas cylinder along.

Post Thanks / Like

man , SUNDOWN III , is just mad , confused , just needs to hurt somebody the way he's been or something...says some intelligent thangs and some ignorant thangs sometimes......does this in lots of posts... i'm kinda use to him now. guess everyplace has someone like him around , for amusement maybe.
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - miller XMT, cp300ts, 30a 22a feeders, buttload of other millers, handfull of lincolns, couple of esabs - Hypertherm 1250 G3

Post Thanks / Like

I was over at Tubby's place, and a guy was talking about something like this, but I didn't understand it and couldn't follow it. Dunno, the conversation had something to do with pressure vessels.

Tubby's got the best junkyard in the Western Hemisphere
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
    I'm a pretty good stick weldor(hobbyist), but I have no idea what the carbon arc process is. Could somebody explain it to me?
    I betcha 5 or 6 times over the past couple years, I run across someones exhaust, or something really thin, and there sits my Hobart. I love the machine, but for my ability, it's just too hot for thin stuff.

Wonder what Mr Hughes meant by "Jesus"? I belong to several internet forums and there's always a smarta&#.
    I'm no smart a$$. It gets pretty tiring seeing people ask questions about how to get good results with crappy tools. So, yes, Jesus! I could just not post anything, you know,"if you dont have anything good to say, dont say anything at all", but thats too hard. The best advice you've got on this thread was to buy a torch and gas bottle to tig weld with your hobart.
    UA Local 598