+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chemical Storage Cabinet using MigWeld 140 -- help!

Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Storage Cabinet using MigWeld 140 -- help!

Hey all. I'm at a point where I need to store the modest amount of chemicals that I have safely, which is what I have NOT been doing. The chemicals (e.g., acetone, muriatic acid, several spray paint cans, chrome polish, etc.) are currently stored in two old 20-quart coolers on the side of the house that I rent from, but the coolers are starting to crack from age. I know it's been a bone-headed move to still keep them there, so now I'd like to build one, a steel one--now I have a reason for another fabrication project wooo hoooo! :-) If you have any experience with building your own chem storage cabinet, please provide links/photos/suggestions. And thanks, in advance! I'm thinking roughly 40"L x 30"H x 12"D with two shelves will be plenty to store all of the chemicals I have safely, only because I saw a couple of cabinets with these ~ dimensions at a Home Depot and an Orchard Supply store respectively. Not sure of the steel gauge thickness yet, because I'm still researching steel thickness, steel style (e.g., perforated, with pre-formed vents, etc.), double-door options, hinge types, whether to use magnets or other options to secure the doors, what color, etc. But it will have to be a stand-alone piece of equipment, just sitting upright on the side of a house in a shaded area. I'm planning to use my MigWeld 140 for the project.
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Storage Cabinet using MigWeld 140 -- help!

Quote Originally Posted by Agape Guy View Post
    Hey all. I'm at a point where I need to store the modest amount of chemicals that I have safely, which is what I have NOT been doing. The chemicals (e.g., acetone, muriatic acid, several spray paint cans, chrome polish, etc.) are currently stored in two old 20-quart coolers on the side of the house that I rent from, but the coolers are starting to crack from age. I know it's been a bone-headed move to still keep them there, so now I'd like to build one, a steel one--now I have a reason for another fabrication project wooo hoooo! :-) If you have any experience with building your own chem storage cabinet, please provide links/photos/suggestions. And thanks, in advance! I'm thinking roughly 40"L x 30"H x 12"D with two shelves will be plenty to store all of the chemicals I have safely, only because I saw a couple of cabinets with these ~ dimensions at a Home Depot and an Orchard Supply store respectively. Not sure of the steel gauge thickness yet, because I'm still researching steel thickness, steel style (e.g., perforated, with pre-formed vents, etc.), double-door options, hinge types, whether to use magnets or other options to secure the doors, what color, etc. But it will have to be a stand-alone piece of equipment, just sitting upright on the side of a house in a shaded area. I'm planning to use my MigWeld 140 for the project.
    You may find our blog on whether to build or buy a chemical store of use: http://safetystoragesystems.co.uk/bl...ild-or-to-buy/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by safetystorageuk View Post
    You may find our blog on whether to build or buy a chemical store of use: http://safetystoragesystems.co.uk/bl...ild-or-to-buy/
    Thanks, I'll be building.
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I have an old vertical freezer that I use. The inside doesn't rust and the insulation keeps temperature variations down. I need to clear some old stuff out, but I like its simplicity. At work we have a complicated haz mat system, which serves as a point of segregation for chemicals that can't be stored safely together. I don't have that problem in my garage.

Commercial cabinets have vent provisions, can be grounded, and most importantly, have a fusible link that closes the doors in sequence if open and in case of fire. Other than that, the cabinets aren't that complicated, really.
    Last edited by CarlMc; 02-19-2017 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

look for an old railroad signal box.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMc View Post
    FWIW I have an old vertical freezer that I use. The inside doesn't rust and the insulation keeps temperature variations down. I need to clear some old stuff out, but I like its simplicity. At work we have a complicated haz mat system, which serves as a point of segregation for chemicals that can't be stored safely together. I don't have that problem in my garage.

Commercial cabinets have vent provisions, can be grounded, and most importantly, have a fusible link that closes the doors in sequence if open and in case of fire. Other than that, the cabinets aren't that complicated, really.
    Almost all of that Could be fabricated by a home DiY person if they had the time. This is a welding forum ya know.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist