+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PM 30 consumables on my PM 45

Post Thanks / Like

PM 30 consumables on my PM 45

I was just wondering if the PM30 consumables would make a difference in the kerf size on my PM45 mainly for auto sheet metal (is it worth the extra cost or not much difference) Thank You for any input. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PM 30 consumables on my PM 45

I know they sell a fine cutting consumable kit...
    not sure if it fits the 30/45 though...

they are not listed...

http://store.weldersource.com/ficostkit.html
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PM 30 consumables on my PM 45

This question is often asked! The Powermax45 was designed with new torch technology called "conical flow". This design uses a unique nozzle orifice that works in conjuntion with the shield flow to increase velocity and energy density of the plasma arc, while inproving cooling and life of the nozzle and electrode. I have both a Powermax1000 and a Powermax45......both of which I use on a cnc machine to cut a wide variety of materials and thicknesses.

With the 1000....which does not have conical flow...I switch to the FineCut consumables and lower power to get the best cut on materials thinner that 3/16"..........and with my Powermax45, I found that the standard 45 amp consumables work equally well (compared to the Fine Cut) on thin materials, and equally well compared to the other shielded consumables for the 1000.......further, I find that the life of the 45 consumables is better that the life of the Powermax1000 consumables. The 1000 has a speed advantage...due to its 60 Amps vs the 45's 45 Amps.

So.....since I ave been 100% happy with the results of the standard consumables on the 45.....I have not even tried the 30 amp cnsumables......which do not have conical flow, and are not shielded. My suspician is that the kerf width will be narrower, but the overall cut quality will not be any better as compared to the standard 45 parts. One advantage I could see with the 30 amp parts is thet they will provide better front end visibility.

Jim Colt

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist