Thread: Hobart Champion 10K- remove generator from engine shaft?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hobart Champion 10K- remove generator from engine shaft?

I bought a dead Hobart Champion 10,000 welder/generator for the engine which is in excellent condition.

I cannot figure out how to remove the rotor from the engine so I can use the engine for another purpose. ( Converting an old tractor to a "woods buggy" )

Does anyone have any information on how to separate the Kohler 23HP engine from the generator head?

I have been unable to find any service information for Hobart welders online. Only user guides which are of no use in this instance.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart Champion 10K- remove generator from engine shaft?

Rotor is threaded to the crankshaft. Standard right hand thread. Put a wrench on the stub of the rotor, hold the engine from turning over and smack the wrench with a hammer to break it loose.

So what's wrong with the welder/generator part? Could be worth more repaired and operating if it's something simple.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much....that explains why it won't pull off !

I don't really know other than the prior owner said when the Hobart repairman told him how much to fix it he sold it to me! It is in parts now so the current problem is that it is parts. LOL

Again...may thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang around here and you'll find most hate to see a machine sacrificed for parts that might otherwise be repaired. Just the same, at times it's the most logical option from time to time and I've even done it in the past when needed.

Might want to let everyone know what you've got left over and offer up any usable parts you don't need in the "Shop, Trade, Sell Forum" section. If you do, make sure to post the unit SN of the original unit so any parts applicability to other machines can be confirmed.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Hobart Champion 10K- remove generator from engine shaft?

I have one more problem. How to keep the engine from rotating. There is no external nut to hold and no other access to the crank shaft. What is the best way to keep the shaft from turning while trying to loosen the rotor? ( don't want to have to remove the front fan shroud and fan etc. in order to access the north end of the shaft.

-- As for parts --

I will basically have everything except the engine left. That reduces the weight to about 375 pounds! I am keeping a few pieces from the control panel such as circuit breakers, outlets etc. and the engine wiring harness and starter switch.

I may need to keep and modify the lifting frame as it has a muffler heat shield I may need to modify tractor, and would also provide a lifting point for my chain hoist. Everything else is up for grabs but it is heavy !!

Post Thanks / Like

In a rather perverted way I actually was happy to find out the gen set did not work when I fired it up. I had a project in mind and I paid only $200 for this as-is because I wanted a working engine. If it had worked I would have been in a quandary because it could then have become a nice electric start standby generator for my house and I would be back looking for an engine. Power almost never goes out and only for short periods. I have a 5KW generator which will serve emergency needs quite well.

But as you correctly pointed out...if it had put out power it would have been a shame to scavenge it for parts. Thus my relief when it did not work.

Post Thanks / Like

On to spare parts....any thoughts on a use for the welding transformer?

Post Thanks / Like

Miller shows/recommends an adapter bolted to the fan/flywheel to hold it while removing the rotor.

The .pdf file showing it and the process is too large to post so PM me an email address and I'll send it to you.

As for the "transformer", I believe you're referring to what's known as the "choke" which is not a transformer at all.

The rotor you're attempting to remove, stator assembly (main housing) and weld output rectifier could get you your original purchase price back or more.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-26-2014 at 01:45 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you tell me where the output rectifier is located? I did find a rather small bridge rectifier bolted to the frame (heatsink) but it is no more than 20 AMP based on it's size and the wires are way too small for welding.

I could not find anyplace to get a service manual other than for the Kohler engine so have no wiring information on this unit at all.

Advan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulckruger View Post
    I have one more problem. How to keep the engine from rotating. There is no external nut to hold and no other access to the crank shaft. What is the best way to keep the shaft from turning while trying to loosen the rotor? ( don't want to have to remove the front fan shroud and fan etc. in order to access the north end of the shaft.

I'm no professional small engine mechanic, but in my younger years I would stuff as much good 1/4" rope into a spark plug hole as I could then rotate the crank until it compressed the rope. I have no idea if this would be an acceptable practice on your engine!

Post Thanks / Like

Well you need to plug in the unit SN to be sure to get the correct manual here http://www.hobartwelders.com/service/owners-manuals/ but below is the latest edition for the Champion 10,000 in the meantime.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/0900/o945ae_hob.pdf

The output rectifier is identified as SR1 on the wiring diagram and is what the (-) weld output stud is connected to.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Advan View Post
    I'm no professional small engine mechanic, but in my younger years I would stuff as much good 1/4" rope into a spark plug hole as I could then rotate the crank until it compressed the rope. I have no idea if this would be an acceptable practice on your engine!
    Advan - I think you've mentioned this before and I forgot all about that little trick which should work just fine on his Kohler.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much....

I think I will give the rope trick a try. It seems a simpler way to go than having to disassemble a lot of engine to get to where I can hold the crankshaft.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

You could also use the right amount of oil in one cylinder with the plug back in while on its compression stroke if the rope trick doesn't work.
    Last edited by duaneb55; 05-26-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!