Thread: Clarke 130EN vs 160EN

Post Thanks / Like

Clarke 130EN vs 160EN

Buying a MIG to do the thin stuff as my stick machine cannot. I can run a 110v MIG or 220. The thing I can't understand is why is the 160(220) only 20 bucks more than the 130(110)?
    For 20 bucks, I'm inclined to buy the 160, but will it be adjustable enough to work on the occasional body panel?
    I know you guys really don't approve of Clarke, but money is an issue. I have a good Hobart AC/DC stick machine for most jobs I have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clarke 130EN vs 160EN

The 220v machine is only slightly more expensive than the 110 because it shares the majority of the same parts. The extra capacity comes from the 220v input, not special expensive parts in the machine.

The 220v will be able to adjust down to do anything the 110 can do.

If you have 220 access get the 220 machine, you will not regret it.

Post Thanks / Like

220 volts for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

r u shure..? sometimes , smaller machines can go down to lower amperages "that I perfer" and is morre important than higher
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - miller XMT, cp300ts, 30a 22a feeders, buttload of other millers, handfull of lincolns, couple of esabs - Hypertherm 1250 G3

Post Thanks / Like

Simple, read the specification sheet, it will tell you the welding range.

Post Thanks / Like

It generally isn't till you get into the high 200's class machines you'll see a stated amp range of 40-to-xxx. Most all of the 210's and down will state 30-to-xx(x) whether 230 volt or 120 volt feed. There may be a few that quote 20 amps as the bottom but then there is the wire to deal with. .023 has an effective range of about 30 to 90 amps. Not that you can't get more on the top end or lower on the low end, "effective range" is the key phrase here.

Of course most all (wire feed) machines have a wire speed starting at or near zero but that doesn't mean you're going to set it at 35 ipm and weld at 10 amps.

Speaking of the major brands here. Can't say what all the others cite.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

i herd clarke is out of biz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ed mac View Post
    i herd clarke is out of biz
    I 2nd that
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Post Thanks / Like

i just saw some brand new Clarkes at ATTWOODS in Greenville TX yesterday.....

they were sitting nexta tha Hobart Smobarts.
    thermal arc 252i - millermatic 350P - miller XMT, cp300ts, 30a 22a feeders, buttload of other millers, handfull of lincolns, couple of esabs - Hypertherm 1250 G3

Post Thanks / Like

Clarke US filed chapter 11 over a year ago. Don't know what the end result of that was. I think Clarke UK is still going okay maybe. If anyone is interested they could do some searches using "Clarke Power Products".
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info, guys. Don't know if they're still in business or not. There's a big dealer on Ebay sellin' em pretty cheap. Still have a warranty, so in business or out, doesn't matter to me
    I thought they were Italian made, the local Midas guy has one that looks 50 years old and he says British. Who's right?

Post Thanks / Like

Most 220's likely will take the 11kg roll which is cheaper but you may adapt for the smaller rolls, go 220 no regrets, how much is it buy the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
    Thanks for all the info, guys. Don't know if they're still in business or not. There's a big dealer on Ebay sellin' em pretty cheap. Still have a warranty, so in business or out, doesn't matter to me
    I thought they were Italian made, the local Midas guy has one that looks 50 years old and he says British. Who's right?
    Uhh yea, but if they are out of business who is going to honor the warranty?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the 160EN with gas reg, cart, and wire is a "Buy Now" for 379.00. The guy must have a warehouse full of the stuff. My guess is he is/was a Clarke authorized repair and dealer. Who knows.
    I might be getting weak....our local Tractor Supply has 2 Hobart Handler 140's they want to unload for 419.00. Not to mention 80 cu. ft cylinders for 199.99 if ya buy a welder.
    The manager tells me they don't do very good locally with welders and supplies. It's right smack dab in a yuppie type area. I guess they want to make more room for bird food. Hehehe.

I may crack, at those prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your preferences alot, said a few times most contempary migs are real good, the Hobart Handler 140 has 4 heats the Clarke 6, shop around they seem to be competing against each other for helmet and cart offers. Clarke is offering 10 year warrantees(clarkeusa.com) and some prices in the high 360's, check my canadian catolog for Hobart and the 140 is $700.00 cdn so it is a good deal you found, the duty cycle for the clarke is 120 at 20%, and the hobart is 90 at 20%, if it was involving 115 I would go Hobart, take the Clarke and try it if it stinks take it back.

Post Thanks / Like

if you have to buy a weld pack ive had mine over
    15 years and im glad that at time there no
    china s-it out there to temp.
    me to buy there junk i get so many jobs
    from people that have bought a china
    welder to do a job and it does not work
    Last edited by ed mac; 03-23-2010 at 01:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I caved. I brought home the 140 Handler today. Just couldn't pass up the 419.00 pricetag. Not sure I like only 4 heat settings, but MIG is new to me. Not to mention I'm sure it will last longer than the Clarke. I already own an AC/DC Stickmate that's been a dream machine so I figured I'd stick with the brand.
    Also, called the LWS today and I can buy a reconditioned, tested tank.......filled, for 75 bucks plus tax. 60 cu. ft. I've bought all my rods and other supplies from him over the past couple years and I think it helped me pricewise.

So Saturday morning...look out. Gonna set everything up and have at it. I have an exhaust system to fab and need to get the hang of it real quick.

Thanks to all you guys for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctmike View Post
    Well, I caved. I brought home the 140 Handler today. Just couldn't pass up the 419.00 pricetag. Not sure I like only 4 heat settings, but MIG is new to me.
    Let's put it this way,,,,,,,, if you were prepared to be happy with the 130EN, you'll be tickled sheetless with the hobart 140.

Have fun.