+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Volunteer welders needed to finish 70' steel sailboat in oklahoma

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Volunteer welders needed to finish 70' steel sailboat in oklahoma

I saw this invitation to help complete a steel sailboat in Oklahoma. My heart goes out to this guy. There is a lot of work to do and only one person working on it. "The guy has a wife and a few relatives that sometimes help. Yet, he is doing all the work now. I want to help but i can not leave town any time soon because of the many projects and preparations I am doing to prepare for an early retirement. I think some of you guys may be able to help. Here is the video invitation.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Volunteer welders needed to finish 70' steel sailboat in oklahoma

I've met plenty of guys with big ambitions to start solo projects, but nobody with the wherewithal to gather the (mostly) proper tools and materials (as this guy has).

It's going to be one heck of a story no matter how it pans out!

Post Thanks / Like

Not too long ago on Craig's List there was a guy looking for welders to help him with a travel trailer build. BYO talent, equipment, consumables. I kept reading, waiting for the "...so we can bring underprivileged kids to the beach" or "...for my church" or whatever, but no: it was for his exclusive use because he promised his daughter. Wonder how much help he got.

Post Thanks / Like

With so many people out of work, I would think there should be someone available. Chat with the guy in his comment section and if you guys are kindred spirits and you live close enough to drive home after helping him it would be nice to help him out of a jam. I am saying help him out his need not his merit. It would be a shame to see his boat stuck on land. We all have done things we should not have done. I think the punishment would not fit the crime if he not able to finish.

Yet, I have concerns about helping him also. I want to see him in his boat sailing on the water. Yet, I feel uncomfortable not knowing what his standards are for people working on his boat. If I am going to be staying with him what is his religious alignment? There is always rules to follow and not knowing the rules doesn't stop the penalties. Plus, working on that boat does not look all that safe. If I was in shape, I might give it a go. Yet, I would probably would not climb into or onto that vessel without necessary safety equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy clearly has way more financial resources than I do to buy that much equipment and steel - he can finish his own boat.

Reminds me of people who decide to "build" a cool motorcycle or hot rod, but want all the buddies who have the actual skills and tools needed to work on it.

Eventually they realize they have to do it themselves, pay someone to finish the work, or sell it unfinished.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan ,BUT ! I wouldn't let just anyone weld on my boat where you don't want water coming in. A cabin, a wall, window openings, yea, ok. But someplace where you can only get to it NOW, I don't think so. It's like doing a shutdown to cut in a tee and valve. You make the tie in and start filling, no test.
    I wonder what his neighbors think ? That's gotta be some big bucks floating around there !

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I never want to hear someone complain about buying steel for a welding cart ever again!

It looks like a cool project, but he has a long way to go.
    Thermal arc 211i
    Ck flex-loc 150 & 130
    Clamps, saws & grinders
    Harbor freight 80 amp inverter

Post Thanks / Like

I subscribe to that channel

If you watch all the videos, I think you would get a really good idea of what they are like to live with.
    I think I'd get along pretty well.

They are taking on a big project, but unless they drop dead first I think they will finish
    They have already done a little submarine

They seem to have a plan and are able to buy supplies and steel at scrap rates, then instead of buying they DIY it so they can fix it themselves later.

If I only had the $ I've seen some spend on smokes and booze cars and gasoline in a lifetime I'd have some nice stuff too.

I think they won't have trouble getting some people for a week at a time, vacation season - but mostly unskilled folks, having to train them.

Every hour of grinding he can outsource is an hour he can skip.
    Last edited by 12345678910; 07-30-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I subscribe to Doug's channel also....he is not begging for help,his wife will be gone for a few months so he is just tossing it out there if you want to help out.I'm thinking about it.
    These guys that have a big fan base like he does,Kieth Fenner,ABOM.etc...are always getting viewer appreciation gifts{not sure if Doug does}and have viewers who would love to be part of this

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this recently and was thinking it would be cool to volunteer to help weld up the repair sections if I was closer. Plus There wouldn't really be too much of a problem worrying about the boat sinking if your welds weren't perfect!

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an inspirational video about people chasing their dream of building their own boat. This place is in Canada. If you are a foreigner they will let you hang around to finish your boat. I plan to build my own metal yacht myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Some where in the mid 80's my Grandfather and I took a road trip from Dallas down to Florida to visit some other relatives. We stopped in Mobile and went aboard and toured both the USS Alabama and Drum. Pretty cool pieces of history. If you ever find yourself passing thru Mobile and have a couple of hours to spare I'd recommend you stop for a look at them.

Coincidently..... there's a second (newer) USS Drum. It's a nuclear fast attack boat. In the late 70s when I was stationed aboard a sub tender (AS-37) at Point Loma it was one of the boats we took care of. I've actually done some welding in the reactor compartment of (and other places on) the newer USS Drum. We worked on the Drum quite a bit and I'm pretty sure that some where on that boat today, there's still some weld metal in service that I laid down over 30 years a go.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't get the impression he's begging for help, probably have no problem getting it done himself, but sometimes nice to share a project with others even if they sometimes set you back.

Mr. HE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yusaku View Post
    I want to help but i can not leave town any time soon because of the many projects and preparations I am doing to prepare for an early retirement.
    Yeah... me too.
    I'm with you and Minnesota Dave, he can finish his own boat
    Safety 3rd
    Gump

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist