Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 266674757677 LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1925

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

  1. #1876
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    I just spent another $20 tonite.....




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  2. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  3. #1877
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    9,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    I don't know about the rest of you guys... but I think someone is trying to corner the hammer market then we will see price increases, hammer shortages!!! and who knows what else We need to be vigilant and keep our hammer supply safe and protected!!!

  4. #1878
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Blacksmithing tools

    Well you know that saying about "dumber than a bag of hammers"?

    I'm gonna have the BIGGEST MF'in bag.

    I'll show them what DUMB is........emoji23]


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 1 Week Ago at 12:00 AM.
    :

  5. #1879
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    9,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Oh.... you are going to compete with these kinds of places

    Name:  Hammer_Museum.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  62.9 KB

    Name:  big-hammer3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  47.1 KB

    Do you have one of these yet?
    Name:  bell-system-hammer.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  95.1 KB

  6. Likes tackit, whtbaron liked this post
  7. #1880
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    So what's the extra hole for? Balance?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  8. #1881
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    Ha! I wouldn't even have an anvil if it weren't for your suggestion.
    So if you're worried about rotation in the round hole, especially with the cutting tools, you could use my accidental solution. A bit of weld on one side of the hole at the bottom that would require grinding a flat spot in the tool would prevent it from turning. Might not work with the double ended one, but could for future tools. You had more than one hole in that anvil... maybe leave one round and have one eccentric at the bottom.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  9. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  10. #1882
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    So what's the extra hole for? Balance?
    Maybe a hardy hole and the hammer head is used as a mini anvil for "delicate" work. ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  11. Likes ronsii liked this post
  12. #1883
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Oh.... you are going to compete with these kinds of places
    ]





    Dang.

    I just took out this unused pole last Monday!!!!!!!!!

    And it was right alongside my shop





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  13. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
  14. #1884
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    9,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Maybe a hardy hole and the hammer head is used as a mini anvil for "delicate" work. ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hardy hole alright.... but not for delicate work..


    Name:  telepole45.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  71.5 KB

    Name:  lineman-spikes45.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  44.4 KB

  15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  16. #1885
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Hardy hole alright.... but not for delicate work..


    Name:  telepole45.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  71.5 KB

    Name:  lineman-spikes45.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  44.4 KB
    Well that's putting a twist to hammer uses.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  17. Likes ronsii liked this post
  18. #1886
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    9,874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Well that's putting a twist to hammer uses.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh... you just had to go there

    I won't even tell you how I know... or why my old boxes have all kinds of odds and ends in them
    Name:  toolbox-bellsystem4.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  qwest-hh2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  87.3 KB

  19. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  20. #1887
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Here's some beautiful Italian made Hammers. http://www.osca.it/images/catalogo_osca.pdf

  21. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  22. #1888
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Oh... you just had to go there

    I won't even tell you how I know... or why my old boxes have all kinds of odds and ends in them
    Name:  toolbox-bellsystem4.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  80.2 KB
    Name:  qwest-hh2.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  87.3 KB
    Blue things... Miller repair parts?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  23. Likes ronsii liked this post
  24. #1889
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Here's some beautiful Italian made Hammers. http://www.osca.it/images/catalogo_osca.pdf
    They are nice... but there's something about finding a really nice old hammer... they have character. We had an old cross peen hammer here for years, pretty sure it was older than me. One day it walked away and never came back... sure wish I knew where it went...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  25. #1890
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Here's some beautiful Italian made Hammers. http://www.osca.it/images/catalogo_osca.pdf
    Those are beautiful. I like the protective sleeve where the handle enters the hammer head.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  26. Likes ronsii, tackit liked this post
  27. #1891
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    They are nice... but there's something about finding a really nice old hammer... they have character. We had an old cross peen hammer here for years, pretty sure it was older than me. One day it walked away and never came back... sure wish I knew where it went...

    I agree with you, old hammers have character and a history that makes them more interesting and pleasant to hold in your hand.

    I bought one of the small Italian hammers with a wooden handle for bumping steel into position to get tacked and what not, mostly because I find the shape of the hammer interesting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  28. Likes ronsii liked this post
  29. #1892
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,698
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Those are beautiful. I like the protective sleeve where the handle enters the hammer head.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Me too Lis.

  30. Likes ronsii liked this post
  31. #1893
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Well, talk about finding tools you wouldn't have expected.....

    I just switched my search thing on the computer to Duckduckgo as the default thing that pops up. I never paid attention to that stuff and have been using whatever's just normally there when you open a Safari window thing to get on the internet. (https://duckduckgo.com)

    Turns out, I was missing a ton of content!

    Installing the Duckduckgo search function/company/widget was as easy as clicking a single solitary button.

    Of course, the first thing I did was search for "blacksmithing" to see what might pop up and how it compared to what I'd normally see on the old search thing. Night and day difference.

    Normally, I'd do a search for "blacksmithing" and the first page of results would be links to ads on Amazon, Ebay and Zoro. Trying to find a company that did blacksmith stuff or articles on blacksmithing.... well, you'd better be ready to scroll a bit. Every new page would start off the same, more links to Amazon and Ebay and Zoro. Even just doing an image search on that old search engine would turn up things that were only barely associated with what I was looking for.

    Kinda hard to describe just how big a difference there is, really. Aside from being neater and cleaner in its presentation, like Lis2323's shop, it's showing results for things at the top of the list that I've never heard of before. Heck, I even did a search for "Three Rivers Forge" just to see what would happen.... and it was nice!

    So, I'm officially on the DDG bandwagon. Far better a search engine than the competition and well worth installing. Easier to navigate, better results, cleaner presentation... kinda hard to top that!

  32. Likes whtbaron, tackit liked this post
  33. #1894
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    On Vaughn’s recommendation I purchased a set of these STEEL French curves.



    I thought they seemed a little spendy but when they arrived yesterday that thought literally went out the window. They are truly beautiful. The finish of the fine finished steel is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Just the way the weight of it sits on a piece of leather or paper is pleasing.

    If you are like me and thought “why would I spend money to upgrade a fully functional dollar store plastic device?” you will be pleasantly surprised.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  34. #1895
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Glad to hear you're happy with them.

    My brother was by for Christmas and the first thing he said was that he needed a set because after seeing them the first time and dismissing them as nothing more than a nicety, he went home, tinkered in his little shop, and realized just how much time he spends hunting for a washer or can of "just the right size" to make a curved line on his work. Of course, he didn't offer to buy mine.

    Think they'll work for using with your plasma cutter?

  35. Likes ronsii liked this post
  36. #1896
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,500
    Post Thanks / Like

    Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Glad to hear you're happy with them.

    My brother was by for Christmas and the first thing he said was that he needed a set because after seeing them the first time and dismissing them as nothing more than a nicety, he went home, tinkered in his little shop, and realized just how much time he spends hunting for a washer or can of "just the right size" to make a curved line on his work. Of course, he didn't offer to buy mine.

    Think they'll work for using with your plasma cutter?
    Not really. I’d like to get the bigger one enlarged by at least 5X and laser cut out of steel for that purpose.

    I just lent them to my luthier neighbor to use. He was really excited to try them.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 5 Days Ago at 02:21 PM.
    :

  37. Likes ronsii liked this post
  38. #1897
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,515
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Well, talk about finding tools you wouldn't have expected.....

    I just switched my search thing on the computer to Duckduckgo as the default thing that pops up. I never paid attention to that stuff and have been using whatever's just normally there when you open a Safari window thing to get on the internet. (https://duckduckgo.com)

    Turns out, I was missing a ton of content!

    Installing the Duckduckgo search function/company/widget was as easy as clicking a single solitary button.

    Of course, the first thing I did was search for "blacksmithing" to see what might pop up and how it compared to what I'd normally see on the old search thing. Night and day difference.

    Normally, I'd do a search for "blacksmithing" and the first page of results would be links to ads on Amazon, Ebay and Zoro. Trying to find a company that did blacksmith stuff or articles on blacksmithing.... well, you'd better be ready to scroll a bit. Every new page would start off the same, more links to Amazon and Ebay and Zoro. Even just doing an image search on that old search engine would turn up things that were only barely associated with what I was looking for.

    Kinda hard to describe just how big a difference there is, really. Aside from being neater and cleaner in its presentation, like Lis2323's shop, it's showing results for things at the top of the list that I've never heard of before. Heck, I even did a search for "Three Rivers Forge" just to see what would happen.... and it was nice!

    So, I'm officially on the DDG bandwagon. Far better a search engine than the competition and well worth installing. Easier to navigate, better results, cleaner presentation... kinda hard to top that!
    Was your default on Safari Bing? I've had that one before and didn't like it. I usually use Google and Google Chrome . I just tried a search and it seems to come up closer to what you are describing on DDG.... got about a half page of pics from your work at TRF.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  39. Likes ronsii liked this post
  40. #1898
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    ...I’d like to get the bigger one enlarged by at least 5X....
    Five times bigger? I think you'd have to go with something that's at least 1/4" thick or it'd be really flimsy and prone to creasing. Still, it's a good idea considering the scale we tend to work at.

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Was your default on Safari Bing? I've had that one before and didn't like it. I usually use Google and Google Chrome . I just tried a search and it seems to come up closer to what you are describing on DDG.... got about a half page of pics from your work at TRF.
    I tried Google, then Bing, then Yahoo. Google was the default and I didn't much care for it since all the internet talk was about how they track you and collect all your data. Turns out, though, that Bing and Yahoo do the same thing. Might not sound like a bad thing, but personal privacy aside, it also limits your search returns when you're looking for something.

    Because they "build a profile" on you, the results you get when you do a search are pretty much the same thing every blessed time. Doesn't matter if some obscure creator posts a new video because you're not likely to get even a hint of it in your search results since it's not one of the big name creators.

    DDG doesn't track you and compile those profiles, so you get a broader return on your inquiry. When I did a video search for "blacksmithing", I found 5 channels that I'd never heard of before, all turning out some very neat stuff. Before switching to DDB, I was only getting the channels that are big names even though I'd watched their videos a half-dozen times each.

    I was surprised at the difference, honestly. Between them and Proton Mail, I'm kinda happy with the internet again!
    Last edited by VaughnT; 5 Days Ago at 10:48 PM.

  41. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  42. #1899
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Talking about tools...

    My sucker rod countersink punch is going okay. I'm a little disappointed in the struck end's level of mushrooming considering how little I've used the punch, but the working end isn't showing any signs of problems. The 3/4" diameter is certainly stiffer than the 5/8" coil spring punch I was using previously. Curiously, that extra stiffness seems to deliver more of the impact shock into my hand - each strike of the hammer bringing a little jolt that's just shy of being uncomfortable.

    Still, far nicer to work with and it looks a lot prettier than its predecessor.






  43. Likes ronsii, Lis2323, tackit liked this post
  44. #1900
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    1,901
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Vaughn, sucker rod is pretty tough stuff as you well know.

    Two suggestions on the struck end mushrooming: I think that making it less "pointy" and cutting it back to the full diameter of the rod with just a small bevel would be better.
    The other would be to harden then temper it back to blue or purple, making it more durable. That might be a challenge if the working tip is already heat treated. As you heat the struck end to cherry red for hardening, you could keep dipping the working end in water to retain the heat treatment. Then you could temper the struck end slowly with a propane or MAPP torch.

  45. Likes whtbaron liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,611,112,590.23058 seconds with 15 queries