Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677
Results 1,901 to 1,914 of 1914

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

The heat treat is definitely problematic. I don't have a big container of oil and likely didn't get a good hardness throughout as a result. One of the plans for this year is to up my oil tank to something more like 5 gallons just so I can do larger chunks of metal. I do so little of it that I've just never bothered keeping more than a small ammo can for a quench tank.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get a big ammo can like for the 20mm ammo, or something like a fireproof waste can that I can put a metal bucket of oil in. I kinda like the step-on lid lifter of the fireproof waste cans. Makes it quick and easy to do a quench, and keeps it all contained until you need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    The heat treat is definitely problematic. I don't have a big container of oil and likely didn't get a good hardness throughout as a result. One of the plans for this year is to up my oil tank to something more like 5 gallons just so I can do larger chunks of metal. I do so little of it that I've just never bothered keeping more than a small ammo can for a quench tank.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to get a big ammo can like for the 20mm ammo, or something like a fireproof waste can that I can put a metal bucket of oil in. I kinda like the step-on lid lifter of the fireproof waste cans. Makes it quick and easy to do a quench, and keeps it all contained until you need it.
    I tried doing a heat treat of a 3-4 pound piece of steel a number of years ago in a five gallon bucket of used oil Definitely learned a lesson in what NOT to do lets just say the 10 inch by 5 inch piece of skin the peeled off my forearm afterwards was an eyeopener

3. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Well you know that saying about "dumber than a bag of hammers"?

I'm gonna have the BIGGEST MF'in bag.

I'll show them what DUMB is........emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Went rooting through some of my boxes again a while ago found one of my old hammers... a Stanley !!! this one has a long face and almost 90 degree claw!!!
    Name:  bellsystem-hammer1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  bellsystem-hammer4.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  110.4 KB

The markings weren't struck very good.. but are readable
    Name:  bellsystem-hammer2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  bellsystem-hammer3.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  90.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Went rooting through some of my boxes again a while ago found one of my old hammers... a Stanley !!! this one has a long face and almost 90 degree claw!!!

If your claw was 90 degrees you'd have a long face too !!!

I just took a pic of these I inherited from
    my uncle. I thought more of them had wooden handles but I guess not...

:

6. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were closer I drop you off some broken fingers from the John Deere combine's pickup. The three punches/chisel closest to the pen are made from the pickup fingers and are very tough. The short chisel also accommodates my bad aim with a "handle".

Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  177.4 KB

Edit.... that was supposed to be in response to Vaughn's last post. Note to self... 4 am posts are a bad idea on weekends...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 2 Days Ago at 06:04 AM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

8. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If you were closer I drop you off some broken fingers from the John Deere combine's pickup. The three punches/chisel closest to the pen are made from the pickup fingers and are very tough. The short chisel also accommodates my bad aim with a "handle".

Name:  IMG_4987.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  177.4 KB

Edit.... that was supposed to be in response to Vaughn's last post. Note to self... 4 am posts are a bad idea on weekends...
    Ha ha, this is what happens when you step into a thread that is getting hammered!!!

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So today I came across this bottom hot cut tool. I had put it aside to clean up years ago and had forgotten about it. The head was badly mushroomed and I didnít even realize until I ground it down that it could also be used as a Hardy tool.

It needs a new handle but I suppose itís not too critical if it is used as a Hardy tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

12. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing wrong with the handle on it. It's meant to be held while the striker hits it with a sledge, so having a loose handle is a good thing for the poor sap having to hold it. Less shock and vibration transmitted up the handle that way.

14. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good fit in the anvil, but it appears the handle might be absorbing some of the force in the swage block. If that is the case, the handle probably won't last long. Interesting looking weapon...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

16. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Looks like a good fit in the anvil, but it appears the handle might be absorbing some of the force in the swage block. If that is the case, the handle probably won't last long. Interesting looking weapon...
    Actually I dropped it in that hole for the pic. The next smaller size hole is more appropriate.

:

18. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Nothing wrong with the handle on it. It's meant to be held while the striker hits it with a sledge, so having a loose handle is a good thing for the poor sap having to hold it. Less shock and vibration transmitted up the handle that way.
    The pic doesn't show too well but the handle is broken and only half width.

:

20. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The pic doesn't show too well but the handle is broken and only half width.

But it's almost the right shape for being sideways when you put it in the swage block... hmmm..... maybe there's a market (albeit a very very small one) for sideways handles...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Found this picture the other day and it's caught my attention. I don't know if I'll ever get around to making one, and I certainly don't have a need for one, but it's one of those things that I'd like too have.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 6.51.46 PM.png
Views: 27
Size:  486.4 KB

Basically, it supports the full length of the bar so you can upset the end, making rivets and bolts without having to worry about the shank slipping in the jaws of a regular vise. It'd be great for people who make a lot of furniture and want to add custom bolts to it. I had thought about making custom bolts for folks, but it's just too much work for too little return, or maybe I just haven't found the right customer. It's sad to see so many people relying on all-thread because they won't take the time to do it right.

24. Likes whtbaron, ronsii, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Back to the Twisting Wrench idea, there's a fellow on Ebay who puts up a nice version for sale every now and then. I've mentioned them before but managed to snag a couple of pictures this time around....

Name:  Twisting Wrenches.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  195.5 KB

I've seen a lot of folks use F-wrenches for Twisting Wrenches, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone make what I think is both a functional and attractive variant. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a wrecked wrench so I can cut the handle off....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VaughnT; 1 Hour Ago at 06:05 PM.