Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
Results 1,926 to 1,933 of 1933

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

You can certainly do something like that, Les. In the EC video, he's making a bare bones forge designed so anyone can make it no matter how limited their tooling and experience. I'm okay with that up to a point.

Maybe I'm the odd duck, but I tend to see the tools you have as a sign of your capabilities. Anyone can knock out a forge like EC did in the second video, but the forge in his first video really sets him apart and shows anyone who looks that he's got skills and an eye for design.

That makes me sound snobby, I'm sure. It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, but I can't deny that it is noticed even as I sit here basking in my own hypocrisy since I so rarely live up to the standards I demand from others.

If someone's doing so much work that they're just wearing out the floor of their forge in a month, it makes sense to cobble something together that'll get the job done but also be easy to disassemble and repair. Taken as part of the larger picture, their shop filled with amazing bits and pieces, it might seem entirely reasonable and give you the impression that they're hardworking, successful, pragmatic, etc.

For someone who is just tinkering around on the weekends, why not take it to the next level and create something that showcases your abilities? A good example of this is Scott Turner, Forme Industrious on Youtube. Seems like everything he makes combines form and function, not just whipping something together to get the job done. The fact that he has so large a following tells me it resonates with people.

One of my favorite Scott Turner builds demonstrates the point -- he goes out of his way to craft something that's far more complicated than it needs to be. We've all thrown together a quick bench or table, all straight cuts and 90º angles, but Scott decided to take it a step further.

To me, it's the difference between using all-thread like in the EC video, or taking the time to get out your set of dies and turn threads on the ends of some round bar so you have just enough to get the job done. One is quick, simple and cheap. The other takes time and effort, costs you more, but results in something that's infinitely 'more better' even if nobody ever realizes what you did.

I'm blaming my snobbery on my instructor back in my school days. He's the one who drilled that pesky 'attention to perception' jive into my noggin even if he couldn't pound it into my character.
    Last edited by VaughnT; 1 Day Ago at 04:48 AM.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if you guys saw it or not but Minnesota Dave closed up that "ALUMINiUM" thread with this cool hammer.....

Is Vaughn T missing his hammer ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Don't know if you guys saw it or not but Minnesota Dave closed up that "ALUMINiUM" thread with this cool hammer.....

Yeah, I saw he put the hammer down hard I didn't even think it was that bad in there.... but you could see where it was going in a hurry especially after cujo had ripped the op's tit off

I thought that hammer looked familiar...
    Name:  viking-hammer45.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  14.9 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 15 Hours Ago at 01:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    Some day you how great bench mill is over a knee type mill on very long work.
    I like putting a toque arm on so head does not move on heavy.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    You can certainly do something like that, Les. In the EC video, he's making a bare bones forge designed so anyone can make it no matter how limited their tooling and experience. I'm okay with that up to a point.

Maybe I'm the odd duck, but I tend to see the tools you have as a sign of your capabilities. Anyone can knock out a forge like EC did in the second video, but the forge in his first video really sets him apart and shows anyone who looks that he's got skills and an eye for design.

That makes me sound snobby, I'm sure. It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, but I can't deny that it is noticed even as I sit here basking in my own hypocrisy since I so rarely live up to the standards I demand from others.

If someone's doing so much work that they're just wearing out the floor of their forge in a month, it makes sense to cobble something together that'll get the job done but also be easy to disassemble and repair. Taken as part of the larger picture, their shop filled with amazing bits and pieces, it might seem entirely reasonable and give you the impression that they're hardworking, successful, pragmatic, etc.

For someone who is just tinkering around on the weekends, why not take it to the next level and create something that showcases your abilities? A good example of this is Scott Turner, Forme Industrious on Youtube. Seems like everything he makes combines form and function, not just whipping something together to get the job done. The fact that he has so large a following tells me it resonates with people.

One of my favorite Scott Turner builds demonstrates the point -- he goes out of his way to craft something that's far more complicated than it needs to be. We've all thrown together a quick bench or table, all straight cuts and 90º angles, but Scott decided to take it a step further.

To me, it's the difference between using all-thread like in the EC video, or taking the time to get out your set of dies and turn threads on the ends of some round bar so you have just enough to get the job done. One is quick, simple and cheap. The other takes time and effort, costs you more, but results in something that's infinitely 'more better' even if nobody ever realizes what you did.

I'm blaming my snobbery on my instructor back in my school days. He's the one who drilled that pesky 'attention to perception' jive into my noggin even if he couldn't pound it into my character.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

Not seeing it... what thread?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Not seeing it... what thread?
    Yesterday afternoon I taught myself to mig aluminium.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

:

Post Thanks / Like

Bad Gateway... they really did hammer that one...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Bad Gateway... they really did hammer that one...
    Weird. Not for me. I usually get that on the “what I welded today” thread. Prob because nobody wants to see my crappy welds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post