Page 78 of 87 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2154

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

  1. #1926
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    You can certainly do something like that, Les. In the EC video, he's making a bare bones forge designed so anyone can make it no matter how limited their tooling and experience. I'm okay with that up to a point.

    Maybe I'm the odd duck, but I tend to see the tools you have as a sign of your capabilities. Anyone can knock out a forge like EC did in the second video, but the forge in his first video really sets him apart and shows anyone who looks that he's got skills and an eye for design.

    That makes me sound snobby, I'm sure. It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, but I can't deny that it is noticed even as I sit here basking in my own hypocrisy since I so rarely live up to the standards I demand from others.

    If someone's doing so much work that they're just wearing out the floor of their forge in a month, it makes sense to cobble something together that'll get the job done but also be easy to disassemble and repair. Taken as part of the larger picture, their shop filled with amazing bits and pieces, it might seem entirely reasonable and give you the impression that they're hardworking, successful, pragmatic, etc.

    For someone who is just tinkering around on the weekends, why not take it to the next level and create something that showcases your abilities? A good example of this is Scott Turner, Forme Industrious on Youtube. Seems like everything he makes combines form and function, not just whipping something together to get the job done. The fact that he has so large a following tells me it resonates with people.

    One of my favorite Scott Turner builds demonstrates the point -- he goes out of his way to craft something that's far more complicated than it needs to be. We've all thrown together a quick bench or table, all straight cuts and 90º angles, but Scott decided to take it a step further.



    To me, it's the difference between using all-thread like in the EC video, or taking the time to get out your set of dies and turn threads on the ends of some round bar so you have just enough to get the job done. One is quick, simple and cheap. The other takes time and effort, costs you more, but results in something that's infinitely 'more better' even if nobody ever realizes what you did.

    I'm blaming my snobbery on my instructor back in my school days. He's the one who drilled that pesky 'attention to perception' jive into my noggin even if he couldn't pound it into my character.
    Last edited by VaughnT; 01-20-2021 at 04:48 AM.

  2. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
  3. #1927
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Don't know if you guys saw it or not but Minnesota Dave closed up that "ALUMINiUM" thread with this cool hammer.....




    Is Vaughn T missing his hammer ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  4. #1928
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Don't know if you guys saw it or not but Minnesota Dave closed up that "ALUMINiUM" thread with this cool hammer.....




    Is Vaughn T missing his hammer ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I saw he put the hammer down hard I didn't even think it was that bad in there.... but you could see where it was going in a hurry especially after cujo had ripped the op's tit off


    I thought that hammer looked familiar...
    Name:  viking-hammer45.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  14.9 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 01-21-2021 at 01:06 AM.

  5. #1929
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,320
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Looks great
    Some day you how great bench mill is over a knee type mill on very long work.
    I like putting a toque arm on so head does not move on heavy.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    You can certainly do something like that, Les. In the EC video, he's making a bare bones forge designed so anyone can make it no matter how limited their tooling and experience. I'm okay with that up to a point.

    Maybe I'm the odd duck, but I tend to see the tools you have as a sign of your capabilities. Anyone can knock out a forge like EC did in the second video, but the forge in his first video really sets him apart and shows anyone who looks that he's got skills and an eye for design.

    That makes me sound snobby, I'm sure. It's not a one-size-fits-all kind of thing, but I can't deny that it is noticed even as I sit here basking in my own hypocrisy since I so rarely live up to the standards I demand from others.

    If someone's doing so much work that they're just wearing out the floor of their forge in a month, it makes sense to cobble something together that'll get the job done but also be easy to disassemble and repair. Taken as part of the larger picture, their shop filled with amazing bits and pieces, it might seem entirely reasonable and give you the impression that they're hardworking, successful, pragmatic, etc.

    For someone who is just tinkering around on the weekends, why not take it to the next level and create something that showcases your abilities? A good example of this is Scott Turner, Forme Industrious on Youtube. Seems like everything he makes combines form and function, not just whipping something together to get the job done. The fact that he has so large a following tells me it resonates with people.

    One of my favorite Scott Turner builds demonstrates the point -- he goes out of his way to craft something that's far more complicated than it needs to be. We've all thrown together a quick bench or table, all straight cuts and 90º angles, but Scott decided to take it a step further.



    To me, it's the difference between using all-thread like in the EC video, or taking the time to get out your set of dies and turn threads on the ends of some round bar so you have just enough to get the job done. One is quick, simple and cheap. The other takes time and effort, costs you more, but results in something that's infinitely 'more better' even if nobody ever realizes what you did.

    I'm blaming my snobbery on my instructor back in my school days. He's the one who drilled that pesky 'attention to perception' jive into my noggin even if he couldn't pound it into my character.

  6. #1930
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Don't know if you guys saw it or not but Minnesota Dave closed up that "ALUMINiUM" thread with this cool hammer.....




    Is Vaughn T missing his hammer ??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not seeing it... what thread?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  7. Likes ronsii liked this post
  8. #1931
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Not seeing it... what thread?
    Yesterday afternoon I taught myself to mig aluminium.
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  9. Likes ronsii liked this post
  10. #1932
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Bad Gateway... they really did hammer that one...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  11. Likes ronsii liked this post
  12. #1933
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    3,877
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Bad Gateway... they really did hammer that one...
    Weird. Not for me. I usually get that on the “what I welded today” thread. Prob because nobody wants to see my crappy welds.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  13. Likes whtbaron, tackit, ronsii liked this post
  14. #1934
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    When you have 22 minutes free, here's a cool video to watch.

  15. Likes ronsii liked this post
  16. #1935
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    I found some 12" auger tube for my home made forges body at my friends weld shop, he said he is pretty busy right now, but will call me when he gets time to cut off a piece 12" long.

    I'm going to copy this forge design with a couple of my own add on's, like an adjustable slide in and out stock holder, a ceramic floor and porch all at the same elevation, a 2" X 12" long piece of channel iron welded to the bottom of the forges body to weld two bored out 1" pipe couplings for two 1" pipe risers to slip into which will be welded to the forges tri- legged 1 1/4" pipe leg shop stand, a short auxiliary stand for traveling with, and a piezo grill starter if I can figure out the way the Polish forge makers do it. I can weld a nipple on for the push button assembly, but at this point I'm not sure about how to safely mount the starter-end next to the burner. at this time I'm planning to buy a burner and parts from Chile forge for around $450 to the house, but when it comes time to write the check, I'll more than likely buy one on Amazon that comes with a regulator, hose and all the fittings. any way that's my plan and i'm sticking to it... unless you with experience think I'm a fool that likes to waste money. This is a project also, that's why I'm doing all the bells and whistles that I can do without. I'm going full out like my building hero Lis. https://chileforge.com/forges_tabasco_details.html

  17. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
  18. #1936
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Anyone know what the advantages are for the purchased burners, v.s. the Frosty style home made ones? I'm assuming more efficient for gas use, but do they produce any more heat? I don't see air injection in most of these home made forges... where would you work that in? And why is the sky blue?
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  19. Likes tackit liked this post
  20. #1937
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Bad Gateway... they really did hammer that one...
    Here... try this one... https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthrea...ium&styleid=41


    Might work... might not... anyways it in the mig/stick/tig sub forum if you really want to track it down. https://weldingweb.com/vbb/forumdisp...y-Fuel-Welding

  21. #1938
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    I did do the search and got the same bad gateway... your link worked though. A little disappointing really.... I was expecting more from ripped nipples...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  22. Likes ronsii, tackit liked this post
  23. #1939
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I did do the search and got the same bad gateway... your link worked though. A little disappointing really.... I was expecting more from ripped nipples...
    Yeah!!! some pics would have been awesome LOL!!!!!

  24. Likes tackit, whtbaron liked this post
  25. #1940
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Anyone know what the advantages are for the purchased burners, v.s. the Frosty style home made ones? I'm assuming more efficient for gas use, but do they produce any more heat? I don't see air injection in most of these home made forges... where would you work that in? And why is the sky blue?
    I remember talking with a group of guys about 15-20 years ago on the design of burners and whether to go forced air or not??? a lot of guys were making blower burners but the thing was they were a lot more finicky to get running and to keep running... they had more heat but also would go through more gas a *lot* quicker!!! so after lots of experiments most of the guys just went for the simple and reliable mikey burners

  26. Likes tackit, whtbaron liked this post
  27. #1941
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Here's the tri legged stand I plan on copying but with two ten inch home made steel wheels with scrub brakes in the back, and a piece of 4" square tubing cut so I'll have 3/4" flanges looking up welded on the front leg.

    Excuse me, my creative juices are flowing tonight, I'm getting all fired up about the forge project, (pun intended,) even though it will be the end of March before I can start on it do to global warming.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  28. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, ronsii, Shootr liked this post
  29. #1942
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Well... start stockpiling your metal now. I had $2k worth in my pickup today and it was a little shocking. I was still buying old stock and avoiding the oncoming price increases. Think I'll be stockpiling cultivator shovels next.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  30. Likes ronsii liked this post
  31. #1943
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    10,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Well... start stockpiling your metal now. I had $2k worth in my pickup today and it was a little shocking. I was still buying old stock and avoiding the oncoming price increases. Think I'll be stockpiling cultivator shovels next.
    You might want to stock up on red fuel for your new loader also.... as it will soon be getting more 'valuable'

  32. #1944
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Anyone know what the advantages are for the purchased burners, v.s. the Frosty style home made ones? I'm assuming more efficient for gas use, but do they produce any more heat? I don't see air injection in most of these home made forges... where would you work that in? And why is the sky blue?
    The forced-air or blown burners are more fuel efficient and get hotter faster. They are also a lot easier to make since they are quite literally made from COTS parts you can find at any plumbing supply store. The downside, and the reason most people don't go with them, is that they require a fan and electricity to operate. No power, no forge. Power goes out for any reason, and you risk the fire backtracking up the pipework to your fuel inlet and tank. Plus you have to remember to always turn off the gas before you turn off the fan when you're done for the day, otherwise you risk the gas line and tank blowing up. That's the old wive's tale, anyway.

    The Venturi is the "standard" because it can be made from plumbing parts and people get a kick out of saying that they did it themselves. Not requiring the added expense of the fan, or electricity, makes it a nice option. The downside is that you are relying 100% on the pressure in your tank for the venturi effect that draws the air in to mix with the gas in the burner tube.

    These are a lot more inefficient, though I wonder if anyone has really quantified the difference between the two. Just looking at them side-by-side, I can say that the forced air burners are obviously going to mix the fuel more efficiently and provide plenty of atmosphere to burn all of the propane available. With a venturi design, you can't really say that.

    If you can't make this.... you really need to sell off all your tools!


    This one gives a little more detail on the thinking behind using a forced-air design, and his is a little more complicated. Still.... not hard to cobble together!



    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    I'm going to copy this forge design with a couple of my own add on's... I can weld a nipple on for the push button assembly, but at this point I'm not sure about how to safely mount the starter-end next to the burner. at this time I'm planning to buy a burner and parts from Chile forge for around $450 to the house, but when it comes time to write the check, I'll more than likely buy one on Amazon that comes with a regulator, hose and all the fittings.
    Buying a burner and parts from Chile for $450? That's just plain crazy money! Those piezo electric starters are nice, and I wouldn't mind having one. The JF1 burner I bought is pennies compared to what Chile is asking! I'd love to know what the Chile burner does for that kinda cash.

    http://hybridburners.com/forge-comments.html#tate
    Tate Roth wrote:

    "Rex,
    Luckily I found some time to try her out. Having owned a couple of 0.75" T-Rex burners from you I was expecting a big improvement over the standard burner in my Chile forge Tabasco 2 forge. The 1" Forge & Foundry burner delivered in spades!"


    I've been thinking about getting one of Rex's burners. Stellar reputation and engineered from the ground up to be a burner. That little 3/8" jobbie looks like it would be a very handy aid for when I want to spot-heat for riveting and the like.



    It's a tiny little thing, but I like the idea of just being able to plug it in to my 100# tank and spot heating something in the vise. It's either than or get my O/A rig converted over to Propane.... but that would mean I'd have to lug an empty O2 tank down to get filled. One more expense and hassle for something that I really don't do much of. Maybe the O2 tank would last me for years, but eventually I'd have to truck it down to the National Gas place.

    I'd have to talk to them about it, though. I don't know if I believe that little burner would be better than your average hardware store bottle torch running MAPP gas. I find it really hard to believe it'd be economical, getting as hot as fast as O/A does. Sure, it would eventually warm up a small bar so you could peen it over, but will it do it in a timely fashion or are you going to be standing there for an hour, losing your heat every time there's a breeze?

  33. Likes ronsii, tackit, whtbaron liked this post
  34. #1945
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    VaughnT, is this the burner you run? https://www.ebay.com/c/1731733419

  35. #1946
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    My friend owns a weld shop, he was planning to build a trailer when he caught up on work orders, when he priced the steel for it just a couple months ago it was a bit over $9,000, he just checked and it's over $11,000 +now. Wait until Biden stops offshore drilling and fracking to satisfy his Green energy dingbats, UPS to state and county taxes that provide fuel for school busses and state and county vehicles is going to raise property taxes higher than a Georgia pine.

    Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    You might want to stock up on red fuel for your new loader also.... as it will soon be getting more 'valuable'
    Last edited by tackit; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:17 AM.

  36. Likes ronsii liked this post
  37. #1947
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    3,798
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Oh, markets go up and down well beyond the reaches of American politics. Fuel has been slowly rebounding from last springs lows that happened when the economy basically shut down. Up here farm fuels are purple, not red.... we're just more colorful that way.... check out our currency! I usually fill the tanks for year end so I won't likely need more fuel until we get into spring seeding. Right now the steel scares me more, because once parts get marked up, they seldom go back down. Expendables like cultivator shovels have been trending up anyway, so I'm not looking forward to more drastic increases. Occasional parts have been getting stupid expensive regardless of paint colors. I just had a set of IHC hydraulic cylinders rebuilt that cost me another $2k. Getting the parts has also been an issue... one set of seals is back ordered for 4 to 5 mths. Not sure how that's going to fly in the middle of seeding or harvest. The idea of building my own forge, retiring to my shop and renting most of the land out is looking better all the time... but the grain prices right now look soooo good...
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

    Les

  38. Likes ronsii, tackit liked this post
  39. #1948
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    The idea of building my own forge, retiring to my shop and renting most of the land out is looking better all the time... but the grain prices right now look soooo good...
    On the other hand that is also when the change is easiest to sell.
    ---Meltedmetal

  40. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  41. #1949
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    VaughnT, is this the burner you run?
    Basically the same. Mine's an "older" model that has the bolt flange on it, but other than that...

    It was a toss-up between the JF#1 burner and a T-Rex burner. I ended up going with the JF#1 only because of that mounting flange and my next burner will likely be a T-Rex or two. Nothing wrong with the JF#1 that I can see, but his website annoys me. I don't know why Jim's not building it up and making it better, but it's one of those little things that just irks me.

    http://hybridburners.com/products.html

    Gotta admit that I like how the T-Rex burners come to you already painted and with a replaceable stainless steel flare.



    Of course, if I run across a decent blower, my next burner will be a forced-air design. Looking at blower costs, though, I'll have to find one on the used market to make that happen.

    High Temp Tools sells a complete kit and a fully-assembled model, but their website sucks. Still, for the money, that isn't too bad if you already have the fan to plug into it.

    http://hightemptools.com/burners.html

    At $65 for the kit, I think I could spend that just driving around to get all the parts because you just know for sure that I'm not lucky enough to get everything at one store!!

    Not sure I'd paint mine red or not. It is kinda sexy and industrial, but.... haze grey would have to rule the day, I think. Maybe. That red is sexy.
    Last edited by VaughnT; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:31 PM.

  42. Likes whtbaron, ronsii, tackit liked this post
  43. #1950
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Blacksmithing tools

    A company near me that was recovering silver form x-ray film was using vacuum cleaners for blowers. It worked but it was noisy and the cheap shop vacs are only rated for about 300 hours. Doesn't look too professional but the owner was a crook and he made money with it.
    ---Meltedmetal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,614,238,779.81940 seconds with 15 queries