+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 118 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2938

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post

Of course, the all-plastic rollers might not last long.

Vaughn we had REALLY good luck on the farm with 2-3” diameter heavy walled PVC rollers. Easy to repair or make also.

I’m certain they would hold up well doing stuff us normal guys do.

Maybe not for you tho. (Refer to Xmas greeting photo. )
    Last edited by Lis2323; 05-16-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    :

2. Likes VaughnT, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Okay since we are talking about roller tables...
    That's some pretty ingenious designing!

Post Thanks / Like

It is... I never thought of using an angle iron for a brake... I might steal that idea too.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer and pulled the trigger on an HTC roller stand from Lowes. The buttheads said they had it in stock on their website, but when I get down there.... nope.

So I ordered it while I was there and paid them. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive and hope it's not complete ****e.

Never heard anything about them, but I don't really need much of a stand just to catch the tail end of a 10' bar that's sticking out from my bandsaw. The Ellis roller assembly that mounts to the saw is great for shorter pieces but doesn't extend far enough to stop light stock from flopping around.

I know I should have made something myself, but the $120 price tag was really hard to beat. That and I just didn't want to spend a couple hours cobbling something together.

I'll let you know how it stacks up when it comes in. Worth the money? Made in China? Not embarrassingly chintzy? We shall see!
    You guys inspired me to make a roller stand. I used the roller from a POS stand someone gave me long ago and some Unistrut scraps, an extended 3/4” nut and a short piece of 8” channel.

:

6. Likes VaughnT, ronsii, whtbaron, Garfield43 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous design, my friend! I love the simplicity of it and how you managed the fine-elevation adjustment. Very rugged and industrial -- and I'm definitely gonna have to steel that design!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good what keeps the top threads from turning if you get a bit offcenter on the push?

Oh!!! and what's with that red headed stepchild of a bolt???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Looks good what keeps the top threads from turning if you get a bit offcenter on the push?
    :

Good question. I suppose I might have to add a thin jam nut.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

.....might have to add a thin jam nut.
    Hmmm... hadn't thought about a jam nut, but it seems an easy fix. Just take the roller off, throw the top half into the saw and cut 3/8" from the end of the coupling nut. All you'll lose is the thickness of the saw blade, but the off-cut will make a good jam nut.

11. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... hadn't thought about a jam nut, but it seems an easy fix. Just take the roller off, throw the top half into the saw and cut 3/8" from the end of the coupling nut. All you'll lose is the thickness of the saw blade, but the off-cut will make a good jam nut.
    Good idea Vaughn. That way I won’t lose any usable bolt length.
    :

13. Likes VaughnT, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the HTC roller stand together and gotta say that "wedge lock" idea is pretty brilliant. There's zero way the roller could loosen and drop unexpectedly, which is a good thing.

All they did was, basically, cut a tube in half, on an angle, so the vertical element tapers from top to bottom. When you set your height and crank down on the tightening bolt, it's impossible for the tapered shaft to go down under a load.

Pretty heavy duty except for the one place where the welds matter. I think the powder coating is actually doing as much to hold the roller tabs in place as that bubblegum bead is.

Fairly easy to put together with a socket set. I found that the bolt holes that join leg to leg won't line up unless everything is bolted to the main body with the nuts barely catching a thread. Gotta keep everything super loose, get the leg-to-leg bolts in place, and then go around tightening everything up much like doing the lug nuts on a wheel. Took me two complete trips around the thing before it was all snugged up, but now it's not going anywhere!

For $120, it really isn't bad. Everything is 1/8" steel and has a good heft to it. Will it really support 500#? Well, I'm not gonna even come close to trying that out before I cut the roller tabs off and re-do all the welds there. Horrible stuff, but probably strong enough to handle a 20# bar.

Might should have purchased their two-roller stand instead, but I don't think it would have gone low enough for my Ellis. Of course, it'd be short work to cut the main body down by a few inches and make it work..... Something to think about for the future.

Oh, and yea, it's made in blasted China. They worked hard to hide that fact everywhere I looked. Finally found it in tiny print on the box.

15. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the HTC roller stand together and gotta say that "wedge lock" idea is pretty brilliant. There's zero way the roller could loosen and drop unexpectedly, which is a good thing.

All they did was, basically, cut a tube in half, on an angle, so the vertical element tapers from top to bottom. When you set your height and crank down on the tightening bolt, it's impossible for the tapered shaft to go down under a load.

Pretty heavy duty except for the one place where the welds matter. I think the powder coating is actually doing as much to hold the roller tabs in place as that bubblegum bead is.

Fairly easy to put together with a socket set. I found that the bolt holes that join leg to leg won't line up unless everything is bolted to the main body with the nuts barely catching a thread. Gotta keep everything super loose, get the leg-to-leg bolts in place, and then go around tightening everything up much like doing the lug nuts on a wheel. Took me two complete trips around the thing before it was all snugged up, but now it's not going anywhere!

For $120, it really isn't bad. Everything is 1/8" steel and has a good heft to it. Will it really support 500#? Well, I'm not gonna even come close to trying that out before I cut the roller tabs off and re-do all the welds there. Horrible stuff, but probably strong enough to handle a 20# bar.

Might should have purchased their two-roller stand instead, but I don't think it would have gone low enough for my Ellis. Of course, it'd be short work to cut the main body down by a few inches and make it work..... Something to think about for the future.

Oh, and yea, it's made in blasted China. They worked hard to hide that fact everywhere I looked. Finally found it in tiny print on the box.
    We need pictures please.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

We need pictures please.
    It's more fun to tease you!

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes... they sound much heavier duty than mine... I think mine just uses a jamb nut ( one of which I've bent already) to hold the height....
    Name:  IMG_3590.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  159.6 KB

Had a little flash flooding going on further downstream so I was water sampling yesterday... sorta makes you thirsty doesn't it?Name:  IMG_3640.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  63.1 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mineral water

21. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I was Googling the HTC stands to see what Vaughn had and came across these.... interesting...
    Name:  zges (1).jpg
Views: 200
Size:  9.0 KB
    Name:  z72.0.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  18.1 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm mineral water
    LOL... a few minerals... nutrients too....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

24. Likes Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    LOL... a few minerals... nutrients too....
    Lololol, vitamin water. ��

26. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, so I managed to get a couple of pictures of the HTC roller stand.

So far, it's holding up quite nicely and I can't complain. The wedge-lock idea is pretty simple and brilliant. Even if you were to break the bolt loose, the roller can't drop farther than you've backed the bolt off. And since you can't "accidentally" move the handle more than three-quarters of a turn... you can't drop the roller more than maybe a sixteenth of an inch or whatever the rotation of the thread backs the bolt out.

Slick thinking, I have to admit!

Not quite a half-tube, the sides are straight and sit firmly against the wall of the square tube. You could likely slice a bit of pipe to get the same effect....

I'm going to put a jam nut on those threads just because they left me so much to use!!!

The taper of the "wedge lock" isn't extreme. Figure that the vertical element is probably 16" OAL. The brochure says it has a range from 22" to 32".

The way it works, even if the locking handle comes loose, the roller couldn't drop more than a hair - whatever the distance the threads will allow the bolt to turn. One full revolution of the handle is impossible, so you're likely looking at maybe a sixteenth inch of downward travel for a quarter-turn of the threads. What's the math for how far a bolt travels? Assume it's a 1/2-13 bolt... if you do a half-turn... that's big math and well over my head! :O

28. Likes ronsii, Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it looks like I'm in yet another pickle!

A large chunk of the insulation had spalled off the door on my Majestic forge, so I thought I'd try a "field expedient" repair with some Rutlands Fireplace Patch.

That was a bad idea. Maybe I got a bad tub of the stuff, but I can't imagine how they thought all that aggregate would make for a good mix. They even say on the can to not smooth the finish out..... and I'm wondering how they think you could smooth anything with that much ceramic rock in the stuff!

Overall, a complete failure and my forge is officially dead.

This is why I do not like or recommend Majestic forges. Insulation that's only an inch thick is ridiculous, imo. Majestic has a reputation for being a gas hog, and now you know why. Why would anyone think that just 1" of insulation is a good idea? I get trying to hit a certain price point, but dang!!

That's not flat!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang. That sucks. Any idea what you are going to do next?
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

31. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bummer, Vaughn. Is that the door in the bottom pic? Is it bent from heat distortion?
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Dang. That sucks. Any idea what you are going to do next?
    Yes it does! I'm talking with Majestic right now to see if there's a solution. They do have a 2-burner forge that's "economical", but it's got the same problems as this one - very little insulation. Ugh!

Is that the door in the bottom pic? Is it bent from heat distortion?
    The door is in the foreground of the top pic. The bottom picture is the top cap that covered the top of the forge where the burners enter. The distortion is definitely from the heat! When I finally got all the pins out and could pull the top off.... I released a bunch of tension and only magnified the distortion that the heat had caused.

This is the forge I'm leaning towards. As you can see, it has the same thin insulation, but now on only 5 sides. In other words, even less of the already lacking insulation. I wonder how this is measurably better than just pointing a torch at the metal I need to heat!

Still for $400 it'll get me back up and running. I can use the insulation from my dead forge to bolster the new forge, I think, and that might help. I can block off the big opening, and maybe even one of the burners, so I'm only using the minimal amount of area necessary. Considering that I mostly make hooks nowadays, I really don't need much chamber size at all.

I really don't know. I had planned to get some other things done, so shelling out four bills just to get back to work isn't making me happy. Of course, this is what I get for procrastinating. I've been drawing up plans for a forge, and even lined up the needed materials for insulating it. But I kept putting it off because I'm a lazy ***. Now I'm paying for it!

34. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Blacksmithing tools

I just came across this pic today. No deets on locale or history but pretty cool!

Would love to have an old building like this.

:

36. Likes ronsii, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, wouldn't we all!

I've seen a lot of buildings like that yet never could come up with the money for them. When they're for sale, I'm broke. When I'm feeling flush with cash, I'm not flush enough!

Can you believe that the guy at Majestic showed me a new design they have..... and then stopped responding to my email? I was ready to drop the cash just so I could get back up and running, asked him where the link was on their webpage because I wasn't seeing it, and then nothing. Not a peep.

Weird that he was so helpful in the beginning and then falls short at the last minute when I'm ready to make a purchase. I waited around for hours hoping to catch his email so I could place the order, but nothing ever showed up.

He called it the "the 2 burner multipurpose", yet you can look through their entire website and not find any mention of a two-burner forge that has the end openings and a side door. I thought he was gaslighting me as I spent an hour hunting through every nook and cranny of their site!

Name:  1-1.jpeg
Views: 250
Size:  133.3 KBName:  1.jpeg
Views: 223
Size:  118.7 KB

Not perfect by any means. The unsealed gap around the door kills efficiency, but I might be able to put some gasket there if I can find some with a high enough temp rating. The real problem I've always had is that stupid locking mechanism they use for holding the door closed. It's real easy to lose those pins, but it's also aggravating having to pull both of them every time you want to get in and out of the forge. You end up having to lave the forge open just so you can access your parts more readily.

I really need to get off my duff and start building my own forge. At least that'll allow me to address all these little issues.

38. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vaughn, since you are doing so many hooks, have you considered a small induction forge?
    :

40. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist