+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 118 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2938

Thread: Blacksmithing tools

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blacksmithing tools

Pat, a quick search for alligator shears on ebay has them all over $300, and some ridiculously high. Of course, that's the asking price and I've no way of knowing if any of them have ever sold for that much. $160+gas seems a fair price as long as the cutting edges aren't all chipped to pieces.

There's this beauty on ebay, but I'm not a player at $800 plus whatever it'd cost for shipping from Indiana. Very neat contraption and I have wanted a hole punch for awhile, but....

John Spitzer at Black Bear Forge uses a regular Alligator Shear in a video of his and it seems to snip through bar without a hitch. Fast forward to the 12:19 mark to see it in action. Looks like 5/16" square bar getting chopped.

Last edited by VaughnT; 07-05-2020 at 01:03 PM.

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Over the years I’ve seen many old style industrial abrasive chop saws for sale... usually at scrap prices.

Big solid stands with in and outfeed tables 5-15 HP.

Bundling up your material and gang cutting would be very quick. And less worries about ruining an expensive blade if you’re a little sloppy clamping in the vise.

The big alligator shear I feel would be too slow and tiresome.
    :

4. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The big alligator shear I feel would be too slow and tiresome.
    Sure, but you look good when using it!

My biggest problem right now is just where I'd put the thing. I'm out of room unless I do some serious spring cleaning. Trying to clear a space where I can not only have the cutter, but have room to get a 10' stick into it.... the only place I'm seeing is outside somewhere.

That Scotchman Porta Fab 45 looks really nice. Not too big, not too small. Way more than I need, and can afford, but pretty dang nice nonetheless.

Last edited by VaughnT; 07-05-2020 at 01:20 PM.

6. Likes whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Sure, but you look good when using it!

My biggest problem right now is just where I'd put the thing. I'm out of room unless I do some serious spring cleaning. Trying to clear a space where I can not only have the cutter, but have room to get a 10' stick into it.... the only place I'm seeing is outside somewhere.
    Spring cleaning? Lots of time. You have almost 11 1/2 months

Locate the shear up against an exterior wall. Cut an access door in the wall (to the great outdoors) one foot square with a hinged flap.

A couple of roller stands outside and you’re ready to chomp.
    :

8. Likes whtbaron, ronsii, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got the Ellis roller stand w/ adj. stop in the mail yesterday and spent some time installing it this morning. Overall, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 6.5, maybe a 7.

Definitely better than not having it, that's for sure! The only real downside other than the extra room it takes up right around the saw, is the inability to add a catch tray to the out-feed side of things. The adjustable stop has a ton of extension to it (at least 3'), but because it sticks out right where the piece is going to drop when the cut's done.... you're kind of in a pickle as to how you're going to get something there to catch the work.

I cut 16 blanks by ganging up 4 pieces of 1/4x1/2 and the little stop did it's job nicely. Having rollers so close to the saw meant I wasn't always fighting with the bars once they cleared the roller stand 8' away.

So, yea, worth the money. I'm happy that I could support an American company.

10. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about a few pics, Vaughn?
    :

12. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    How about a few pics, Vaughn?
    Oh, jees! That'll mean a ton of cleaning and prettying up the place!! I'm most definitely not like the rest of you guys, shops all prettied up. I don't even have anything blue that I could put in the picture.

14. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Oh, jees! That'll mean a ton of cleaning and prettying up the place!! I'm most definitely not like the rest of you guys, shops all prettied up. I don't even have anything blue that I could put in the picture.
    Okay here’s a pic of mine.

I’m kinda thinkin’ it might be a knockoff though, judging by the sketchy quality. And (WTF???) they spelled the name wrong!

:

16. Likes VaughnT, ronsii, whtbaron, Thats Hot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best designs for a roller stand that I've ever seen! Makes me wish I had some of that tubing around these parts so I could make some of my own.

How do you keep your shop so clean? Not a cobweb in sight and no leaves on the floor? You must spend more time cleaning than doing anything else. Definitely a life goal to have a shop so nice.

18. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know... if I ever get out there to see him I'm taking some prairie dirt with me...

You see, the real reason there is no dust there is because he wasn't down wind of Saskatchewan during the dirty 30's.... I can change all that...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 07-18-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes VaughnT, Lis2323, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I know... if I ever get out there to see him I'm taking some prairie dirt with me...

You see, the real reason there is no dust there is because he wasn't down wind of Saskatchewan during the dirty 30's.... I can change all that...
    LOL.
    :

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some pics of the Ellis stand and stop. This will save Vaughn from having clean up his shop.

The second pic the adjustable stop in place. Third is it stored underneath.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

24. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh.... I like it. There's times when I'm trying to cut a small piece on the band saw that the original vise won't hold it... having another one on the opposite side of the blade even without the depth stop would be very handy.... might have to build something like that....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh.... I like it. There's times when I'm trying to cut a small piece on the band saw that the original vise won't hold it... having another one on the opposite side of the blade even without the depth stop would be very handy.... might have to build something like that....
    It came with the cam lock vise on the left. I upgraded to the screw lock with pipe jaw on the right due to all the tanks I cut. I like to hold the tanks with both vises if possible.

The only real quibble is that I would like the vises to be able to fit a little closer to the blade. I may modify or make a jaw that extends in towards the blade.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

28. Likes ronsii, whtbaron, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    This will save Vaughn from having clean up his shop.
    Thank you.

There's a reason why you don't see me taking panoramic shots like the rest of you seem to like!

I'm thinking of making some kind of support that I can move around, something just big enough to slip over top of the tube on the adjustable stop and support the end of whatever long piece needs cutting. It wouldn't have to be much. No roller needed. Something for the to-do list, but certainly nothing I need to prioritize considering how rarely I cut long pieces of anything.

30. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to be shy... I was working in the "Where's Waldo" shop this weekend.... it's not that long ago it was my main shop and it's still a mess.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

32. Likes VaughnT, ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No need to be shy... I was working in the "Where's Waldo" shop this weekend.... it's not that long ago it was my main shop and it's still a mess.
    Oh he’s hardly shy. Remember that Christmas card picture??
    :

34. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally got around to taking some pics of the burner I picked up from Jim Fox at Thermal Art Design. Very nice build. Beautiful weld beads everywhere you look. Being designed from the ground up to be a forge burner, it's sure to perform far better than something cobbled together in the plumbing aisle!

36. Likes ronsii, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a work of art... you could put it in a forge or mount it on a piece of maple and put it on the mantel...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

38. Likes ronsii, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kinda wondering the same thing. As nice as it'd be to build a forge around.... it is rather pretty and would look good above the fireplace!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a brass oiler I found where we broke up an old yard. I don't know how many times the CAT and breaking plow ran over it, but the glass is still intact. It would look good threaded on the top after you mount it to the wooden base.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I have a brass oiler I found where we broke up an old yard. I don't know how many times the CAT and breaking plow ran over it, but the glass is still intact. It would look good threaded on the top after you mount it to the wooden base.
    Like these? I just sold this pair lately.

:

42. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very much so.... I was trying to find mine to take a pic, but it seems to have slipped away on me....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Well, there's finally some forward movement on the new forge!

Name:  IMG_2064.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  78.6 KB

It was a merry hunt to find the arbor for my cheap-o hole saw kit, and I can definitely see me investing in something better in the very near future. Still, all the wobble and bogging down on my drill press didn't stop me. I even used my new-to-me Eagle squirt can to keep the saw lubed while the cutting was going on. Had to cut from both sides, and finally resorted to using a hammer to nock the plug out of the steel when it got thin enough. But....

Tomorrow, I'll cut the 1/8"x6" stuff I have on hand. That'll form the sides and bottom while the 1/8"x3" makes up the roof of the thing. I still haven't figured out what I want to do for the ends, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. The front will have a door, for sure, and probably only one layer of Kaowool and refractory cement on it.

I cut things so the main body will be 12-1/2" long and 12" wide. That should give me a finished chamber size of something like 7-8" wide and 10" deep. I'm actually thinking about making a second forge that's even smaller so I can use it for all the hook-making I seem to be doing.

One thing's for sure.... having that new-fangled adjustable stop on the Ellis saw sure made it easy to get repeatable cuts! Chopped up 5 lengths of the 1/8"x3".... and they all came out exactly the same length, and with nice square cuts!

45. Likes psacustomcreations, Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we're almost there!

I decided to try the Forme Industrious (Scott Turner) style with the tack welds. Looks almost like it's riveted if you squint your eyes just right, in a dark room, with your back turned.

The 1/8" metal didn't give me much meat for threading, but it'll certainly work for this application. Had to go with 1/4-20 because that's what I had, but I hope to upgrade to 5/16" stainless bolts in the near future.

I have a tendency to put hooks on top of the forge to stay warm while I'm forging the rest of the order. This keeps them at a good temperature for waxing, but as I was designing things I thought the 3" wide top might not be wide enough for the stack of hooks. So, I put a ledge at the bottom to act as a catcher should any hooks decide to fall off when I try grabbing them with the tongs.

Of course, I'm basing this idea off the not-so-Majestic forge I've been using, which happens to be horribly insulated. With 2" of Kaowool throughout the new forge, shell temperature might not get warm enough to melt wax. We'll just have to see.

Next up, after the a good wire brushing, will be the paint and insulation install. Down the road, after I can see where the insulation and refractory cement hits, I'll have to design the ends plates, door and adjustable work support.

Hopefully, I can have it up and running by Friday even if I don't have all the accessory items I'd like.

47. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist