Thread: Small MC and R tank transportation

Post Thanks / Like

Small MC and R tank transportation

I've glanced at the small sets for sale at stores but never paid close attention.

Recently I received a set of tanks, regulators etc. Purchased a plastic case that holds them the hose and the rest of the bits so its basically just like a kit from the store.

The question is, I didn't get any sort of cap to go on the tanks and I don't remember seeing caps with the small kits either.

Do you need cylinder caps like I'm used to seeing on the big bottles in storage to transport these?

I'm a beginner with gases. So far I've only ever stick and flux core welded.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Small MC and R tank transportation

The small acetylene bottles usually don't have provision for a threaded cap. The oxygen bottles usually do. You should be removing the regulators and installing the oxygen cap for transport. Also, the acetylene bottle needs to remain in the vertical position during use and transport to the job.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Post Thanks / Like

Oxygen bottles under 80CF do not have neck rings for safety caps.
    DOT rules require safety caps for high pressure cylinders 80CF and over (and "R" sized oxygen cylinders are only 20CF), because the weight of such a heavier cylinder is more likely to damage its valve if tipped.

Similar thing goes for acetylene. MC and B tanks have no neck protection. Larger ones do, BUT, in the case of fuel gases, some have threaded neck rings that require caps in transit, while some (like barbecue tanks) have permanent protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information both of you.

Now I can haul them home and try to get them filled sometime soon. Didn't want to haul them till I knew it was safe. I'll put them in the plastic case and strap them vertical in the truck bed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you look in your Miller catolog Smith sells these protectors for gauges they are also available for Victor, from Grainger, along with covers for the regulator handle, this may help with absorbing impacts, don't know where they come from but every one I have seen have some pretty big knicks in them.
    Attached Images Attached Images