+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1970 machine restoration advice

Post Thanks / Like

1970 machine restoration advice

First off let me start by explaining what I am working on...
    I have a 1970 sa 200 all original machine that belongs to a good friend of mine. I've spent the last few weeks going through and replacing wiring and cleaning things up on this machine. It is now in cherry condition and ready for paint. I rebuild these machines on a regular basis for folks and I've done everything from chops to custom paint and I even have one diesel conversion under my belt.
    This is where it gets unique. This machine belonged to my friend's brother in law that passed away from lung cancer. He has requested that the paint on this machine be reflective of that event in that he wants it to be a cancer tribute (wants to use lavender for the universal cancer awareness). We are only planning to highlight the machine with lavender and I usually shoot my machines with machinery gray and do accessories in black.
    I will be posting pictures and concepts up tonight when I get home and I am really interested in any advice or input folks on here might have on this paint scheme because I want this machine to stand out but not be too loud.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1970 machine restoration advice

Welcome to the forum dieselman91.

Great and honorable project. I would think a lavender chassis, hood, grill and control panel with engine, generator and exciter housing in black (or glossy gray?) with lavender accessories wouldn't be over doing it. Perhaps a #8 polished SS would be in order and a nice topper.

If one wants to make a statement - make it.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Welcome to the forum dieselman91.

Great and honorable project. I would think a lavender chassis, hood, grill and control panel with engine, generator and exciter housing in black (or glossy gray?) with lavender accessories wouldn't be over doing it. Perhaps a #8 polished SS would be in order and a nice topper.

If one wants to make a statement - make it.
    Thank you for the kind words. I've been a fan of this forum for many years and I should have been contributing sooner. Lord knows that the information I have found on here has pulled me out of a bind more than once.

Your response is exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. I will have the concept drawings up tonight hopefully but until then here are some virgin pics before I got the machine disassembled... beware she has been beat with an ugly stick!

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409757820954.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  36.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409757842391.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  66.3 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409757862782.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  63.4 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409757876548.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  63.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I've got awareness ribbons cut out on the track torch for the front(12 inch) and the sides(6 inch). I've got a friend who is going to pin stripe the center lines with white on the ribbons once I have them painted. I am installing one of my custom exciter caps as well(just pipe with a plate cap). I'm thinking about a ribbon on that as well so all sides will be covered.
    I will fill out my signature tonight as well so you folks can get to know me better.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409758197656.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  36.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=dieselman91;4622191]... beware she has been beat with an ugly stick!
    On the contrary. She's a beauty!

No such thing as an "ugly" SA200. Just well seasoned.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=duaneb55;4622261]
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselman91 View Post
    ... beware she has been beat with an ugly stick!
    On the contrary. She's a beauty!

No such thing as an "ugly" SA200. Just well seasoned.
    Every 200 has some value.

sent while goofing off at work
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

Post Thanks / Like

Go with what makes you or your customers happy. Somebody is always gonna have a smart comment. Just be able to weld as good as the machine looks. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

First off let me start by explaining what I am working on...
    I have a 1970 sa 200 all original machine that belongs to a good friend of mine. I've spent the last few weeks going through and replacing wiring and cleaning things up on this machine. It is now in cherry condition and ready for paint. I rebuild these machines on a regular basis for folks and I've done everything from chops to custom paint and I even have one diesel conversion under my belt.
    This is where it gets unique. This machine belonged to my friend's brother in law that passed away from lung cancer. He has requested that the paint on this machine be reflective of that event in that he wants it to be a cancer tribute (wants to use lavender for the universal cancer awareness). We are only planning to highlight the machine with lavender and I usually shoot my machines with machinery gray and do accessories in black.
    I will be posting pictures and concepts up tonight when I get home and I am really interested in any advice or input folks on here might have on this paint scheme because I want this machine to stand out but not be too loud.
    I was diagnosed with testicular cancer in 1998, I am truly blessed every day above the dirt. This will be a real nice tribute to those lost or survived (like me). I am looking forward to seeing the final pics of this wonderful machine when finished. I have never seen an ugly functioning welder in my life, beauty just depends on how perceived. Hurry and do this justice. Thanks.
    Regards
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

This will be a great and very worthwhile project. I am looking forward to seeing it progress to completion. I am new to this welder refinishing game so I hope to learn something while watching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blawless View Post
    Go with what makes you or your customers happy. Somebody is always gonna have a smart comment. Just be able to weld as good as the machine looks. Can't wait to see it finished.
    That's kind of my predicament this time. My customer has kind of left this thing to me but doesn't want too much standing out as this will be on a rig setup. The comments are fine with me Cuz I want their input both positive and negative and what I have had so far is great! Thank ya'll! As far as being able to weld as good as she looks... I sure hope so.

Lol I will post a pic of my 47 in the morn and you will see how well I can weld!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got awareness ribbons cut out on the track torch for the front(12 inch) and the sides(6 inch). I've got a friend who is going to pin stripe the center lines with white on the ribbons once I have them painted.
    Just another thought.....there seems to be an "awareness ribbon" for everything these days, not everyone is knowledgeable on the significance of the colors. I've seen lavender ribbons combined with a set of lavender boxing gloves, including the logo "Knock out cancer!". Spells it out clearly for those who may be unaware.

Lavender and grey (especially metallic/charcoal grey) will be a nice combo in any case.

Great cause, and I too will be following your restoration.
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Post Thanks / Like

Found a new front end for this machine in my graveyard this morning. It's off one of my parts shorties. I didn't realize it was cherry until I drug it out of the weeds. This is gonna be a time saver since the original one is twisted and warped pretty bad. Will post pics once I get sandblasted and ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of my 47 if anyone is curious. This is my workhorse. Never been disassembled from the day it was made(motor generator has not but frame is homemade). Bought eight years ago at auction for $150 and I swapped radiators with another machine and rebuilt the marvel carb. It has the old style fairbanks mag on it. Since then it's just been plugs, fuel and oil changes. She holds her own pretty well but will struggle with 4th gear pulls on 5/32 sometimes. Someday I will build her a new frame and restore!Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858230098.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  46.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858240715.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  33.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858311650.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  57.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858336850.jpg
Size:  38.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures of my 47 if anyone is curious. This is my workhorse. Never been disassembled from the day it was made(motor generator has not but frame is homemade)
    Generator and control panel look to be from a late 30's early 40's model.

Post Thanks / Like

Double COOL!
    Pictures of my 47 if anyone is curious. This is my workhorse. Never been disassembled from the day it was made(motor generator has not but frame is homemade). Bought eight years ago at auction for $150 and I swapped radiators with another machine and rebuilt the marvel carb. It has the old style fairbanks mag on it. Since then it's just been plugs, fuel and oil changes. She holds her own pretty well but will struggle with 4th gear pulls on 5/32 sometimes. Someday I will build her a new frame and restore!Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858230098.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  46.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858240715.jpg
Size:  33.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858311650.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  57.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1409858336850.jpg
Size:  38.7 KB
    Arcon Workhorse 300MS
    Powcon 400SMT
    Powcon SM400 x 2
    Powcon SM300
    1968 SA200 Redface
    1978 SA250 Diesel
    Miller Super 32P Feeder
    Pre 1927 American 14" High Duty Lathe
    K&T Milwaukee 2H Horizontal Mill

Bryan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist