+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hypertherm 85

Post Thanks / Like

Hypertherm 85

Hello all.

I just purchased a Hypertherm 85. I got it for $1000 used. The machine seems to run great but the filter bowl has a leak in it. I tried using some plastic weld to fix it but the problem returned right after.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any other options to replace the filter rather than a genuine Hypertherm one. The Hypertherm filter costs around $120 and I was wondering if I can just replace it with something I can pick up at the tool store that is roughly the same size.

Might be a dumb idea, just figured I would ask before I order and wait for a new one to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hypertherm 85

Also if anyone is able to provide some help on suggestions for a proper air filtering kit that would be helpful. I have heard people say your fine with just the filter on the machine and other people seem to run 4 or 5 different units. Right now I have the filter on the machine and another air filter on the line.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's like my Hypertherm PM 1000, the filter on the back is similar to a basic water separator for air tool systems. I'd just unscrew the whole filter and change it myself. I also added a Motorgaurd filter to mine to help dry the air to keep the consumables lasting as long as possible.

Pretty much if the air is good enough to do a top quality paint job, it's good enough to do plasma. How much filtering you need is dependent on your system. I won't even bother using shop air at a friends business. They run a lot of air tools and use big inline oilers. Oil sprays from the tool exhaust. Great for keeping impacts and so on oiled, but bad for paint and plasma.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Great deal. Use the OEM parts whenever possible. You got an over $3000 machine. Don't screw it up to save a few bucks.... Jim Colt is the resident HT expert. He has worked for the company for like a hundred years. Looks good for his age though...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't believe the deal. I used a plasma for the first time at my friends house and decided I needed one. I was looking at a few but really wanted a Hypertherm. When this one popped up on Craigslist I jumped all over it.

I agree I probably should use OEM parts. I wish I could just order the bowl but I didn't find it anywhere. The unit looked just like a filter that I have on my wall, only a bit smaller so I figured maybe I could just swap in one from the store.

As far as my line, until I got the plasma all that I had was just the compressor going directly to my tools. Now I have my compressor going into a basic filter and then into a splitter. I have a line coming off the splitter for the plasma so I can add additional stuff to that line if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

I shifted your thread over to the Hypertherm area. That way Jim may see it a bit easier. He may know of an option for you and he's really good about giving out advise and suggestions, not just on their systems, but plasma in general.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Great deal. Looks good for his age though...
    That's your opinion. He is a wealth of information though.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you contact Hypertherm tech service. They can find some part numbers for components that are not broken down in the operators manual.....it is possible that the filter bowl has a separate part number and may be available. At that time they can also check on warranty status....warranty is for 3 years and is transferable.......so if the serial number indicates it is within warranty your part may be covered.

And my wife says I "don't look too bad".....not sure exactly what that means though..,..

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by LeuvenWillys View Post
    I couldn't believe the deal. I used a plasma for the first time at my friends house and decided I needed one. I was looking at a few but really wanted a Hypertherm. When this one popped up on Craigslist I jumped all over it.

I agree I probably should use OEM parts. I wish I could just order the bowl but I didn't find it anywhere. The unit looked just like a filter that I have on my wall, only a bit smaller so I figured maybe I could just swap in one from the store.

As far as my line, until I got the plasma all that I had was just the compressor going directly to my tools. Now I have my compressor going into a basic filter and then into a splitter. I have a line coming off the splitter for the plasma so I can add additional stuff to that line if necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim,

I will reach out tomorrow morning and see what I can figure out.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist