Thread: anchor brand coolant review?

Post Thanks / Like

anchor brand coolant review?

I went to buy some "official" tig coolant and the only thing my local welding supply had was blue label "Anchor Brand"

They wanted $25 / gallon, but couldn't tell me anything about it except people buy it and don't complain.

There is no information about if it inhibits corrosion, prevents algae, lubricates pumps, or anything. The front of the label says "Many Advantage over Other Brands" A website is listed but following it leads to a defunct dead end. It seems to have a glycol base, it is clear.

I googled it and this stuff is for sale on the interweb as low as $10.00 plus shipping, but there is no real info or reviews.

It's driving me nuts about what the "many advantages" are, because nobody seems to know and the company isn't telling.

I bought 2 gallons just because I was there, but in hindsight I feel pretty silly, probably should have just bought green auto stuff.

Anyone use or know about this stuff?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anchor brand coolant review?

I saw that on fleabay, kinda leary of it. $28 for Miller shipped sounded better.
    Tim Beeker.

Post Thanks / Like

The green or orange automotive stuff is poison, ethylene glycol, where the others are most likely propylene glycol and non-toxic.

I have always used RV anti-freeze used for winterizing RV and boats, a pink color. Most likely the cheapest, has worked fine for me, no additives at all to lubricate pumps or algacide but the procon pumps in the coolers I have had are designed to last for years pumping tap water so I don't think that is that important to have a lubricant. If you get a leak or change the coolant it isn't hazardous waste with propylene glycol so that is a plus, just my 2 cents. MSDS would be key to know for sure.
    Lincoln Ranger GXT
    Lincoln Tig Module w/ DIY cooler
    Lincoln SP 135 Plus w/ 100SG
    Lincoln LN-25
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Milwaukee Chop Saw, Bandsaw & Drill

Post Thanks / Like

I looked again online for the MSDS and can't find anything. It's like this company makes a product but has no website, no info, no MSDS, anything... it sells out of a lot of industrial supply places, but none of them have an online MSDS either.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up.. so far so good

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk