View Poll Results: Did watching the debates bring you to a higher level of understanding?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 29.03%
  • No

22 70.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

Ok gang here ya go..
    I did not start this thread but made it into a stickey and the same rules go as in the other threads....
    WHAT GOES ON IN HERE STAYS IN HERE.

OK?

Easy enough.

Have at it.

...zap!

The following debates are between three remarkable men, all experts in their field of study. I can guarantee you nothing, but I am willing to bet that after watching both these debates, you will walk away wiser and more informed.

For the believer, you will likely be strengthened in your faith. For the hard line non-believer, you will likely remain just the way you are. For those who have not decided, some will fall away completely, but others will see with a light they never knew existed, for they will see God with reason and intelligence. What happens from there depends entirely on the measure of faith God is willing to grant to each of us.

A few rules for this thread:

1. Before you comment, watch both debates from beginning to end.
    2. Please do not attack the views you appose with disrespectful comments, you only make yourself look bad when you do. Instead, post your own views with evidence you believe will add to any discussions that may arise from these debates we are about to watch.
    3. If you want to post your own video of a debate you believe makes one side look bad, start your own thread and post it there.
    4. If all you want to do is say this kind of thing does not belong here, then kindly click on another thread and move on, no one is twisting your arm to view this thread.

Enjoy,
    Gar

Christopher Hitchens & John Lennox Debate - "Is God Great."

John Lennox Vs. Richard Dawkins Debate - "Has Science Buried God"

Lincoln Electric, Power MIG 256
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

Dogs are great

Lisdexics Untie!

Cheers Andrew
    WIA 270amp Mig
    Transtig 200 AC/DC Tig/stick
    Hypertherm PM45

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  21.6 KB
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid. You decide what this comment is directed towards.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the answer to your title question.

God is not in any way based on science. Therefore science cannot bury or disapprove God's existence in the eyes of believers. I already posted this explanation. The Lennox/Dawkings debate was pointless. No basis of common standard on which to discuss the topics.
    Religion is based on Faith otherwise known as Superstition. The only difference between religion and mythology is time. Given enough time all religions become mythology.
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 10-02-2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

THOR is the greatest God. Not only is he God but also a super hero! Marvel comics are the Bible. Which of the other 2870 Gods in recorded history are you asking about being great? I think the Christian God doesn't even make the list of great Gods.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

Very intellectually stimulating. I wish message boards could be so gentlemanly like and self controlled with such diametrically opposing views. I don't always have that ability. Thank God for moderators.
    Faith is something that's very difficult to argue or debate. A gift I don't have.

John 20:29 >>
    Jesus *said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."
    Build many useful items for around the home and for friends
    A great and useful retirement hobby

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 252
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Spectrum 625 X-Treme
    Victor O/A torches
    Dewalt angle grinders

Post Thanks / Like

And how does this relate to the SA 200 being the greatest invention of all time?
    Seriously, I come here for help with welding not life. I keep that to those I know and SEE personally.

sent while goofing off at work
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe this was created ash the request of myself and others because there has been an increase in political/religious/racial threads/ comments inappropriately scattered around WW. Politics have a sticky thread in of topic and the only location political discussions are supposed to be posted. Hopefully the same happens here with religion. There is also a gripe thread where one can pi$$ and moan till their heart's content. Thank you Gar for obliging with a dedicated off topic thread. Remember that personal attacks and threats are against the terms of use for this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  21.6 KB
    I'm saving this image.. We need a like button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    I believe this was created ash the request of myself and others because there has been an increase in political/religious/racial threads/ comments inappropriately scattered around WW.
    So the solution is to start more of it. ?

this kind of thing does not belong here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12345678910 View Post
    So the solution is to start more of it. ?

this kind of thing does not belong here
    Agree 100% But I am just a lowly member here. I have no say in that. Also when a Muslim welder joins the forum and joins the religious discussion I am sure the double standard will come into play.... and only talk of Abrahamic God will be tolerated.
    Why any religious discussion is allowed at all is beyond me. There are probably thousands of forums for religious discourse. Politics at least has an effect on us because it affects people's businesses and income, hence their ability to enjoy welding if its a hobby or as a business. Fortunately it was confined to one thread. I enjoy this forum so I will let any let live for the most part and ask nicely when I feel something is over the line. I would suggest if others feel the one way or another about what's happening on WW that you let moderators know via the report thread button or by private message
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 10-02-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gar View Post
    1. Before you comment, watch both debates from beginning to end.

3 hours & 13 minutes of material...

No.
    Hobbyist - At what point is a "hobby" out-of-control?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

One god is one god too many.
    -c-

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

It's against my religion to own any engine drive unless its a Lincoln. Plus my old man would slap me silly.

sent while goofing off at work
    Long after the price is forgotten, the quality will remain.

Both of my Poppy's 1954 Short Hoods -Third generation to weld with it and teaching a fourth
    SA 2## - Bought and sold more than I can remember or care to list, 8 in the shop right now

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a summarized version of that debate ? something like 2-3 minutes max?

if anyone think about making me listen to that for 3 hours they can have faith but my answer remains NO.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me start off by saying that I am a very religous man, I believe in God and I know that he exists. I'm very involved with our church as well, I love being involved. Now with that stated, I will also say that this welding website doesnt need to be involved with a discussion on Religion,... this sites about all things welding, plenty of other places to argue religion. I refuse to argue, I know what I believe and I'm comfortable with it as well. There is plenty of stuff to argue about in welding,...think I will go start a thread about welding up a trailer with a 110 mig from HF, or maybe a roll cage out of exhaust tubing, something constructive.
    Quality work is never Cheap, and Cheap work is never Quality!!

If it's broke, and you're not, we can fix it!!

Lincoln Idealarc sp200
    Century 230amp ac/dc
    Smith O/A Torches
    Huth Hyd. Pipe Bender
    other misc "cool" tools

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
    Is there a summarized version of that debate ? something like 2-3 minutes max?

if anyone think about making me listen to that for 3 hours they can have faith but my answer remains NO.
    I hear ya brother, 3 hours is a big chuck of time. Per your request.

Gar

Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I see it a hundred times a day I still find it most unusual to hear someone say that they believe in a God but decide that the God has no place here.

I don't see what a believer or a disbeliever really basis their answer on yet somehow I lean to disbelief but I don't know. Perhaps its the people talking so silly about god. It is like listening to Charlie Browns teacher.

Post Thanks / Like

What is meant by a higher level of understanding? Would that be believing as you believe you believe? Or would that also be someone on the fence being persuaded that he does not exist?

Post Thanks / Like

I am a believer, my life history has taught me there is good and evil, God and devil. Science can prove without a doubt, completely, that it is impossible for a bumble bee to fly. Science is mans thought up knowledge. I was an unbeliever, wondered if, could there be, all the fazes, now i'm here and no going back. We are granted free will, so enjoy your life your way and your beliefs, just keep an open mind, you could be wrong. God is GREAT! He has proved it to me without a doubt. What ya got to lose, try it, just talk to him. Ok i'm done.
    Thermal Arc 210 - Tweco 211I - Cutmaster 52

Post Thanks / Like

God is not in any way based on science. Therefore science cannot bury or disapprove God's existence in the eyes of believers. ....
    Religion is based on Faith .....
    I once had a teacher who made this statement... As close as I can remember,

"You can change with what someone thinks, but you can't change with what someone believes...."

The point being that true "belief" transcends reason and logic. That applies to everything, whether it's religion, politics, gun control, you name it. A person who truly "believes" something can not be swayed by any argument. A person who "thinks" something, is usually willing to evaluate information, and may or may not make changes based on the information at hand. You can sway their position if your argument is strong enough. The only one who can change what someone "believes" is that person themselves.

He had a slightly better explanation, but that's as close as I can remember from 30+ years ago.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    What is meant by a higher level of understanding? Would that be believing as you believe you believe? Or would that also be someone on the fence being persuaded that he does not exist?
    To the one who becomes convinced that God does not exist, he may well perceive that his level of understanding is higher than the one that becomes convinced that God does exist, and the opposite may be true as well. But if understanding increases with knowledge, than perhaps both can walk away with a "higher level" of civility and tolerance for one another.

Did you watch the debates, or at least watch a portion of it?

Gar
    Last edited by Gar; 10-02-2014 at 11:56 PM.
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Dynasty 280DX
    Smith O/A torch

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the answer to your title question.

God is not in any way based on science. Therefore science cannot bury or disapprove God's existence in the eyes of believers. I already posted this explanation. The Lennox/Dawkings debate was pointless. No basis of common standard on which to discuss the topics.
    Religion is based on Faith otherwise known as Superstition. The only difference between religion and mythology is time. Given enough time all religions become mythology.
    I like it, you know a couple thousand years ago, the sun was a god, the moon was a god, volcanos were a god, they killed or sacrifice thousands of people for these reasons.

Probably, in 2000 years, they will have another god to love or worse, Muslim will rule the world

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist