View Poll Results: Did watching the debates bring you to a higher level of understanding?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 29.03%
  • No

22 70.97%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

Quote Originally Posted by geezerbill View Post
    Jesus absolutely had to make a bridge to me.

In a nutshell:

I was and am unable to on my own.
    I am, like you, a sinner by nature.
    There is nothing in me worthy of a relationship with God. NOTHING!
    The Bible teaches that the wages of sin is death. That is a price I was unable to pay. Jesus, in the form of a man, lived a sinless life, and therefore, had no sentence of His own to pay, so He was in a position to "serve my sentence" for me.

Is it barbaric that one man would have to die for another?
    We have soldiers that do it all the time.
    What good father would not die for his children?
    How many times have you heard of a soldier throwing himself on a grenade to save his fellow soldiers?

Now consider a man who would throw himself on a grenade for those who hate him, who are even rebellious toward him.
    That is what Jesus did. He came for those of us who needed Him, even if we were in rebellion.

Now I have a decision to make. Do I reject His propitiation and choose to serve the sentence myself, or do I accept His sacrifice as payment for my sin?
    I chose to accept His sacrifice as was His desire. I know it is his will, because He says His will is that all are saved, but obviously He will not force Himself upon us. that would be taking away our choice.
    The Bible teaches If we accept Jesus as our only possible savior, and His free gift, we shall be saved, and that we may approach God in Jesus' name. In other words, be able to walk in a relationship with God.
    Bull ****. I am not going to make a bridge to a crack head, in fact that is impossible and no concern of mine. You are out there to think JC needs to make the bridge to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Religious Thread Is God great? Has science burried God? A respecful debate th

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    Bull ****. I am not going to make a bridge to a crack head, in fact that is impossible and no concern of mine. You are out there to think JC needs to make the bridge to you.
    Wow.
    I am not even sure what all that means.
    Just to be clear, I said If there were to be a bridge built between God/ Jesus Christ and man, it would have to be done by God reaching down to us.
    Our arms are just too short.
    Now I did not say He had to, in the sense that he was mandated to, or even compelled to, by any outside force.

The reason He did it is because He loves you.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

It is worthwhile to go through this thread with the intent of taking note of whether there is a difference in how the Christians and their detractors treat each other.

I encourage you to do it.
    Look at the general attitude displayed one toward the other. Do not focus solely on the simple list I have below.

A cursory look, picking up the most obvious - just the name-calling revealed the following list of Nonbelievers stating or at least intimating Believers are
    Mentally ill - Post#5
    Superstitious - Post#7
    Wingnuts - Post#36
    Nutjobs - Post#56
    Delusional - Post#56
    Dishonest - Post#84
    Nonsensical - Post#88
    Depraved - Post#88
    insulting - Post#88
    idiot - post#145
    Weak - Post 237
    Crack head - Post#254

my count:
    Non-Christians - 12
    Christians - 1
    One Christian returned the "Wingnuts" reference, but in fairness to him, he used it once each to describe some members of both sides.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

It is worthwhile to go through this thread with the intent of taking note of whether there is a difference in how the Christians and their detractors treat each other.

I encourage you to do it.
    Look at the general attitude displayed one toward the other. Do not focus solely on the simple list I have below.

A cursory look, picking up the most obvious - just the name-calling revealed the following list of Nonbelievers stating or at least intimating Believers are
    Mentally ill - Post#5
    Superstitious - Post#7
    Wingnuts - Post#36
    Nutjobs - Post#56
    Delusional - Post#56
    Dishonest - Post#84
    Nonsensical - Post#88
    Depraved - Post#88
    insulting - Post#88
    idiot - post#145
    Weak - Post 237
    Crack head - Post#254

my count:
    Non-Christians - 12
    Christians - 1
    One Christian returned the "Wingnuts" reference, but in fairness to him, he used it once each to describe some members of both sides.

I appreciate your righteous tenacity... but don't forget what Jesus said - "Don't cast your pearls before swine". You're "preaching" now just to defend your point. All such preaching is unedifying.... and therefore pointless.... because the one(s) you are preaching to have already shown that they are not interested/receptive.

BTW... i understand that this verse about "swine", Jesus wasn't exactly referring to guys like "HT2-4956"... but the meaning of it still very much applies to this scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, I am more concerned about those unsuspecting who might wander in here than those who have already rejected Christ. His example with the rich young ruler, whom he had to leave behind should be my model.
    In retrospect, I should have placed my vote, and moved on.
    Gar has presented the truth far more eloquently than I could ever hope to.

God bless.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

It's time for a pole. Has anyone changed their mind? For each of us belief or disbelief is for reasons of our own. May the force be with you.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    It's time for a pole. Has anyone changed their mind? For each of us belief or disbelief is for reasons of our own. May the force be with you.
    I'd join the Church of Jediism..
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jediism
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 03-23-2015 at 08:36 PM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Another fantastic example of Christianity. CA Lawyer wanting to legalize murder and kill those who do not believe the same as him. I.E. LGBT people. I refer you back to my previous posts regarding forcing ones religious beliefs on others through the political/legal process. Glad I don't have Christian "morals" https://www.change.org/p/california-...ter_responsive
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more intellectual answers.
    Maybe the morals of noted atheist Jeffrey Dahmer would be more appropriate to emulate.
    Last edited by geezerbill; 03-23-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    CA Lawyer wanting to legalize murder and kill those who do not believe the same as him. I.E. LGBT people.
    Pretty close to what ISIS is doing right now

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Another fantastic example of Christianity. CA Lawyer wanting to legalize murder and kill those who do not believe the same as him. I.E. LGBT people. I refer you back to my previous posts regarding forcing ones religious beliefs on others through the political/legal process. Glad I don't have Christian "morals" https://www.change.org/p/california-...ter_responsive
    Last time I checked, murder was never endorsed as Christian morals... Jesus said something about putting away the sword, and those who lived by it would also die by it.

Neither is forced conversion or acceptance of said beliefs.

Of course, a lot of religions claim to hold to what the bible really teaches, but in action and deed do not.

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ostie01 View Post
    Pretty close to what ISIS is doing right now

Jeff
    Kim Jong II, a popular atheist can be added to that list. Only his body count is a bit higher.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

Kim Jong II, a popular atheist can be added to that list. Only his body count is a bit higher.
    you are mistaken in your assumption. Atheism it the absence of a belief in God or a supreme being. It is not a religion. So the only thing atheists have in common is not believing in God. But Christians and Christianity is a belief system that is members claim to have a common set of values and morals commanded to them by the almighty.
    This Christian lawyer is trying to legalize genocide. Sounds a lot like Hitler, Saddam Hussein etc. So as a fellow Christian. Rather than denounce his actions in the strongest possible terms, you try and shift the blame to atheists.

I hope FBI and DHS have him listed as a domestic terrorist threat.

Post Thanks / Like

No.
    You are wrong again.
    I was adding Kim to groups such as ISIS as killers, and did assume his body count is higher than that of ISIS.

I am starting to think you need to get a second opinion on your diagnosis.
    Is it not unusual for a person with autism to engage with another in a debate?
    You must be in the top percentile of the high functioning autistic.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

Also IS are NOT atheists... they profess to believe in God too and also kill or want to in his name

Post Thanks / Like

DID I SAY (I have caps too) that ISIS are atheists?
    No. I said killers. Killers are not necessarily atheists.

Lets talk about the real stuff instead of the peripheral stuff.

I a curious to know where atheists get their moral code. (or maybe more accurately their unrelated, several moral codes)
    Last edited by geezerbill; 03-24-2015 at 12:20 AM.

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

Read up on Humanism. You will have your answer.
    http://americanhumanist.org/humanism..._Manifesto_III
    The belief that humans are born innately good (and atheists) as opposed to believing all humans are born sinners...

Post Thanks / Like

Read up on Humanism. You will have your answer.
    http://americanhumanist.org/humanism..._Manifesto_III
    The belief that humans are born innately good (and atheists) as opposed to believing all humans are born sinners...
    No.
    I am not providing you with links to what somebody else thinks or says.
    I am trying to tell you what I think, and why, and am curious as to what you believe and why.
    If I wanted to know what some blogger, or other author believes, I would read his writings.
    I am interested in what you believe, and why.

Why can't show me the courtesy of just answering my questions?

Hobart Beta-Mig 251
    1972 Miller AEAD-200LE
    Miller 250 Twin
    Northern Ind. Hybrid 200
    Longevity Stick 140
    Longevity Migweld 200S
    Thermal Arc Pak 3XR

Post Thanks / Like

With no point of reference humans are not born good or evil, they are just born.
    It baffles me how someone can say they don't believe in something and waste their time arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy to see how some people react to believers and non believers some even being real dicks about it. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't ....

If any of you were broken down at a street light I would get out and help you push even though some of you would probably spit in my face right after

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know when any theist can argue the existence of God without using a circular argument.
    Here you go DJ. This guy makes an argument that the big bang theory actually proves the existence of God. Watch it all the way to the end. Its quite an interesting argument. Me, I believe so I don't need any proof.

Miller Multimatic 255

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist