+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does solar powered helmet recharge during welding?

Post Thanks / Like

Does solar powered helmet recharge during welding?

I have a solar powered welding helmet that cost $180. The manual says the power is provided by solar cells with two lithium batteries that do not have to be replaced. So far I have been able to weld without problems, but do I have to lay this helmet out in direct sunlight in order to recharge the batteries? Or will It automatically recharge during welding?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does solar powered helmet recharge during welding?

Solar panels WILL collect power while welding. It also will gather some via the ambient light in the room. However most helmets I'm aware of use lithium batteries. Not rechargeable lithium ion or lithium polymer. So basically the panels reduce the drain of the batteries not recharge them. Lithium batteries have a shelf life of roughly 10 years which is a nice plus. I wouldn't concern yourself with it much. If you still have the same helmet and the thing stops auto darkening then look for a panel usually right below the lens you look through.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist