+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is welding safe? noob question*

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is welding safe? noob question*

Quote Originally Posted by EpicInvasion714 View Post
    I used to smoke weed before but now I'm just like ehh don't get near me I've been a year clean don't like it seems pointless to me. But what I hear often from my instructor is that a lot of job places will do drug testing. Seems to me like you need to figure out if you wanna keep smoking or really focus on what you want. I stopped cuz I didn't like it still don't see the point but what I do know is I love welding and wouldn't let smoking weed prevent me from doing that as my career.
    Good attitude - focus on what is important
    Almost all jobs in my area drug test now.

I know a woman that passed up a good stable career because she wouldn't be able to sneak alcohol to work at that job. She still does her job, that she hates, because of it.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blunt420 View Post
    I can't believe how stupid you are, you don't even know what you're talking about, but whatever I'm not going to argue with you and pull myself down to your level of ignorance.
    That's because you are a self indulgent pot head.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

So what's wrong with being a pot head?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Good attitude - focus on what is important
    Almost all jobs in my area drug test now.

I know a woman that passed up a good stable career because she wouldn't be able to sneak alcohol to work at that job. She still does her job, that she hates, because of it.
    We are constantly reminded that a lot of places drug test. My instructor sent 3 students to a job site 2 didn't get it cuz they didn't pass the drug test. I know some guy that works at Varco and he is always reminding us that once you do something really stupid and are fired that other companies will hear about it since welding is a small community.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey blunt420 - just remembered this clip from Saturday night live

Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

And he called me... And I quote :

Mr.Dikhead
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:
    eclectic bunch of 90's vintage blue boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teachagmech View Post
    And he called me... And I quote :
    Maybe the full PSA (Public Service Announcement) would help?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83156259/
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he's creating a new account with a more professionally appropriate pseudonym.
    I'm sure he's capable of doing good things. He seems to have a little fire and vinegar in him underneath all that THC.
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Post Thanks / Like

Generally I dont get tangled in these situations. But might I ask? Are you f*cking retarded? People like you is what stereotype us people who are willing to get our hands dirty in a bad way. Im only 16 and have enough brain cells to understand that weed can ruin your life and career. It kills your drive. You could work for minimum wage busting your rear but as long as you have weed you could care less what happens. Heres an idea clean up your act and quit buying dime bags find a good union that will send you to school and have you running spray arc or burning 6010 for 50$ an hour with per diem. Then only work 8 months our of the year with great benefits. Pay cash for a 50,000$ truck then fight the girls off later. All that can happen if YOU STRAIGHTEN THE F*CK UP!!! Rant over

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never failed a drug test. Dont know why but I always got the job. I guess they needed me ?

Being 21 yo I wouldnt advertise this but Im way past that. Besides, how would I ever get anything done

From my understanding, pot or THC stays in your fat cells for a while. The leaner you are, the less the THC shows. Speed , _meth, crack_cocaine doesnt stay in your system as long but are sketchy. The only way to detect_LSD is with a spinal tap so I hear but Ive never heard of an LSD_test. BTW _LSD is the one drug the more you do the less you want. Seems non addictive.

I worked at a place where most employees had some type of clearance. An engineer with secret clearance supplied most of the coke. to everyone. Inglewood Blvd was close enough to score at lunch but it was much safer to buy at work. Thats just the way it was and how things got done. I personally dont like sketchy drugs. Alcohol is kinda sketchy tho.

I worked at another place that needed an EBI on me. You cant lie to them because they will find out if you are a lier. I told them about the pot in high school. Had the clearance within a month. Another dude there admitted to crack (and Sherms or Shermans). He was still waiting for a clearance when I left the place. From what I understand is, they dont want lyers. It was ok to do pot,crack or even be a homosexual as long as you dont lie about it.

Blunt420, good luck with your work search
    Last edited by Insaneride; 10-24-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never needed a drug test. If I needed to take one, bring it on. Never touched any of it. In fact, every morning when I wake up, all I pizz is excellence.. guess that's why the rest of my days are_____.... well you can fill in your own blank
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swampwelder13 View Post
    Im only 16 and have enough brain cells to understand that weed can ruin your life and career. It kills your drive. You could work for minimum wage busting your rear but as long as you have weed you could care less what happens.
    I've personally seen this. I have a brother-n-law, the 1960s and 70s were very hard on him. Couldn't hold a job if his life depended on it. Which is a shame because he is a very skilled trades man. Absolutely no get up and go. Now he's in his mid 70s, and he and his wife are just about starving. Really a shame to me to watch someone throw their life away to dope!
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Generally I dont get tangled in these situations. But might I ask? Are you f*cking retarded? People like you is what stereotype us people who are willing to get our hands dirty in a bad way. Im only 16 and have enough brain cells to understand that weed can ruin your life and career. It kills your drive. You could work for minimum wage busting your rear but as long as you have weed you could care less what happens. Heres an idea clean up your act and quit buying dime bags find a good union that will send you to school and have you running spray arc or burning 6010 for 50$ an hour with per diem. Then only work 8 months our of the year with great benefits. Pay cash for a 50,000$ truck then fight the girls off later. All that can happen if YOU STRAIGHTEN THE F*CK UP!!! Rant over
    When your mother goes shopping tell her to buy you a tampon you need it vagina boy

Post Thanks / Like

What is that 1975? Fag boy, look at you groupies sucking your buddies dik.
    LMAO you bunch of squares acting like weed is crack fuk outta here son.

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad your maturity level is still that of an 8th grader. Hope you enjoy never having a good job and being no where in life. Im would say im twice the person you are but anything times zero is still zero.

Post Thanks / Like

No one is saying that weed is crack. What they are saying is that if you ever are required to weld something structural or for a well known company they ask for drug test and if you constantly smoke they will turn you away if you can't pass a simple drug test .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EpicInvasion714 View Post
    No one is saying that weed is crack. What they are saying is that if you ever are required to weld something structural or for a well known company they ask for drug test and if you constantly smoke they will turn you away if you can't pass a simple drug test .
    Heck, one of the companies here fired two guys over the phone for stopping at a bar for lunch with the company truck.
    They were not drinking, but company policy was broken, someone saw it, phone call to bring the truck back - fired.

It's serious business to stay drug free and be able to follow all company rules.
    Dave J.

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, one of the companies here fired two guys over the phone for stopping at a bar for lunch with the company truck.
    They were not drinking, but company policy was broken, someone saw it, phone call to bring the truck back - fired.

It's serious business to stay drug free and be able to follow all company rules.
    Like previously someone replied whether it be weed or drinking or anything that can impair your decision making skills I'm pretty sure will get you fired. On the plus side maybe a union will take him up but idk much about them so I can't say anything about it .

Post Thanks / Like

When your mother goes shopping tell her to buy you a tampon you need it vagina boy
    Yep. Proof right there that pot doesn't make you a moron.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're squares, at least our careers aren't going down the tube like blunt420

Post Thanks / Like

Did you really ask if that video is from 1975? Damn. Im 24 and know thats Chris Farley, one of the kings of 90's comedy. Dude was 11 in 75.

This whole thread reeks of butthurt. You can't expect to come on a forum with "brass balls" men who have worked in this industry for years, mention recreational drug use, and not catch flak.

Kids these days.

Post Thanks / Like

Proof that no brain cells exist in your noggin. I hope you understand harassment of minor is a felony.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem here is he feels entitled to a good job with no expectation of passing a drug test.

At first I actually wanted to help the kid. Now he's decided that smoking weed and getting back at "the man" is more important than his future.

Mr. Blunt,
    I already know you think I'm an old man washed up and out of touch. You can think that if you want. Truth is I'm still in my 20s. I don't expect everyone to have the drive I do. Everyone is different. I just hope you can work through whatever personal battle you're having soon so when you look back on this and see what a disrespectful loser you were, you'll still have time to make something of your life.

Bottom line, you still have time to get yourself on track and I sincerely hope you do.
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teachagmech View Post
    The problem here is he feels entitled to a good job with no expectation of passing a drug test.

At first I actually wanted to help the kid. Now he's decided that smoking weed and getting back at "the man" is more important than his future.

Mr. Blunt,
    I already know you think I'm an old man washed up and out of touch. You can think that if you want. Truth is I'm still in my 20s. I don't expect everyone to have the drive I do. Everyone is different. I just hope you can work through whatever personal battle you're having soon so when you look back on this and see what a disrespectful loser you were, you'll still have time to make something of your life.

Bottom line, you still have time to get yourself on track and I sincerely hope you do.
    You're more kind then I would be

Post Thanks / Like

You're more kind then I would be
    Gotta turn the other cheek every once in awhile brother.
    Teach Ag Mech - Mike

At Home:
    Lincoln Electric AC225
    Miller Challenger 172
    Gas Axe

Work:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist