+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 116 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AHP Owners/Users Thread. No Trolling unless you have used/own one!

Torch head was fine, 3/32" tungsten was fine, power cable did not seem that hot either.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive noticed my torch gets hotter with helium compared to argon. My hands/knuckles get sunburned more from helium than argon also.

Shovelon, you were using helium rite?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Ive noticed my torch gets hotter with helium compared to argon. My hands/knuckles get sunburned more from helium than argon also.

50/50 mix with argon.

I have gotten my Dynasty power cable much hotter, and also killed off the silicon on two torch heads. Never had smoke come out of the nozzle before. Going to have at it again in a few just tacking 1/4" alum.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it works pretty good with pure helium. But you can tell the arc is trying to rectify.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Actually it works pretty good with pure helium. But you can tell the arc is trying to rectify.
    I think I know what you mean. I tried helium with a buzz box and it would only make pock marks. The arc just wouldnt light up. I figured it had to do with the higher voltage needed for helium and 60 Hz is to slow to keep it lit. It gets rectified at 60Hz. The 100Hz has more time to keep the arc lit IMO. If the 2015 units go above 100Hz then I would bet you get even less rectification.

Post Thanks / Like

That's weird smoke coming out of the torch and screwing up the weld.... Hmm

Post Thanks / Like

I think I know what you mean. I tried helium with a buzz box and it would only make pock marks. The arc just wouldnt light up. I figured it had to do with the higher voltage needed for helium and 60 Hz is to slow to keep it lit. It gets rectified at 60Hz. The 100Hz has more time to keep the arc lit IMO. If the 2015 units go above 100Hz then I would bet you get even less rectification.
    Now I have done it with the AHP, I'll have to try it with your invertec lincoln to compare.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Just dont make my torch smoke
    You saw where I tried DC Helium aloominum before and I could use your help.
    With helium, I definately need gloves for heat. Argon doesnt seem as hot to me. Did you notice that?

Post Thanks / Like

Just dont make my torch smoke
    You saw where I tried DC Helium aloominum before and I could use your help.
    With helium, I definately need gloves for heat. Argon doesnt seem as hot to me. Did you notice that?
    No smoking torch? Party pooper!
    The torch heats up faster with helium but I was using standard TIG gloves for both gases.
    Is nothing compared to spray transfer aluminum MIG. The UV rays from that will give you a nasty sunburn in just a few minutes of welding. Ask me how I know.
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

I already forgot the processes you explained about spray transfer. Short circuit (thats me) the other two and then spray transfer. I think DSW explained it somewhere also but it would help if someone made a sticky to refer to.

Post Thanks / Like

While you guys are playing with this what is the least amount of amperage you can get per the display while using the foot pedal? I am curious how well it will taper down.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    While you guys are playing with this what is the least amount of amperage you can get per the display while using the foot pedal? I am curious how well it will taper down.
    I'm curious too. I have the welder behind me when I'm at the table. I can't hold an arc while looking at the meter. I keep forgetting to set up a video camera to record what the machine is showing as I weld.

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Hopefully insaneride and I will get a chance to do some more welding with it this week, I'll check that and let you know.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the lowest Ive noticed was 25 or 30 out of thr corner of my eye. I watched the puddle more than the display.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a quick little mood for the torch. It comes with this cool little dohicky (technical name) that slides over the torch nut to allow you to hand screw the torch into the machine gas fitting. But it doesn't stay in place. A simple roll pin and drill fix that problem. Nice is that it prevents overtightening the fitting
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

It was a hard decision, but I have been wanting a AC/DC tig for some time, and today pulled the trigger while they where still 650.00. Wife isn't happy, but I have stuff that needs welded, and I was going to pay someone to do the welding for me. Figure the money I saved while getting this, should pay itself off for the most part. Hearing about the good results others on here have had, made the decision easier. I will report back with end results when it arrives. I have 40cf of argon waiting for it to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfive View Post
    It was a hard decision, but I have been wanting a AC/DC tig for some time, and today pulled the trigger while they where still 650.00. Wife isn't happy, but I have stuff that needs welded, and I was going to pay someone to do the welding for me. Figure the money I saved while getting this, should pay itself off for the most part. Hearing about the good results others on here have had, made the decision easier. I will report back with end results when it arrives. I have 40cf of argon waiting for it to come.
    Merry Xmas to you. Im sure you will enjoy it. if you haven't welded before, i suggest reading some of the how to stickies then when you get setup start your own "help me learn/critique my welds" thread. what material/projects do you have planned? of course ask here with any machine specific questions. Just waiting for the video to upload, But there was a question sent to me regarding pedal sensitivity and control. So i just made a demonstration on both AC and DC of that. results were very good IMHO. the other thing you might want to keep and eye on ebay for a nice ball flowmeter. I have several on my watchlist actually at under $55 delivered. all brand names. consider a basic gas lens setup too. 3/32 and or 1/8 is all you would need and it will save you in argon cost over the long run. probably get a full set like this http://www.riverweldstore.com/index....oducts_id=7811

Post Thanks / Like

Pedal response and sensitivity

So I had a question about the pedal sensitivity and response. How low does it go before it shuts off, is it smooth and linear or does it have large jumps in output or shut off at weird positions etc. I would say this is a very smooth pedal and it has a nice even response throughout the full travel of the pedal. it shuts off at about 11 amps on both AC and DC and its easy to maintain a very low current. The first was done at 91amps and the second at full 200 amps. the only thing i noticed is the max travel took it to about 8 amps over 91 panel amps, and 3-4 amps over on 200 amps. This also could be attributed to arc gap and resistance in the circuit. I don't see this as an issue when using a pedal... personally I usually set it to kill anyway. The arc is smooth for a fixed 60htz machine and there is no issues with unstable arc when using the pedal and varying current.
    First video is 1/2 power DC

Second is full amperage on AC
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 12-21-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done Southpaw.

Thanks!

Dan
    ----------------------------
    Measure twice. Weld once. Grind to size.

MIG: Lincoln SP100
    TIG/STICK: AHP Alphatig 200X

Post Thanks / Like

I applaud anyone who spends welding $ this time of year, regardless of brand. Shows where your priorities are!Name:  red cross.gif
Views: 1087
Size:  35.2 KBName:  icon_wink.gif
Views: 1076
Size:  170 Bytes
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

Post Thanks / Like

here is the AC @ 100 amps finally loaded on my slow Internet connection.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, here is the quick and cheap non-slip pedal mod. Simple trace, cut, and stick. If I was Lanse, it would probably take a 30 minute video to explain how to do this. Not my style but ask if any questions. The large sheet is $5 from Harbor Freight.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link for a gas lense kit. I am not new to tig, just owning one. I have a lift tig hf 80amp setup, and used a syncrowave 200 blue in school. I have a quality WP17 weldcraft torch, hose, and some E3 purple tungsten. I also have two chinese torches one WP9 and another WP17. I am planning on using this to weld up an intake elbow (aluminum), and a log header for a 2.3 ford turbo motor I am building. Also any thing automotive that will be seen. Looking forward to posting next time with unboxing, and some results.

Post Thanks / Like

DJ that AC arc looked harsh to me on the video, My old welder was like that until I shortened the spark gap and it made a difference. Have you tried adjusting the spark gap? Argon flow rate ? Great mod for the foot pedal!

Post Thanks / Like

We still have some 2014 models in stock for $650 with free shipping

The 2015 models will be on the streets by the first of the year $800+shipping
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist