+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for little welding jobs

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for little welding jobs

Hey guy's

I just would like to know where a person could find some small welding jobs? I work a full time job in the day and would like a little extra income. If someone could point me in the right place to be able to bid on small jobs I would grateful. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for little welding jobs

That's a pretty broad question, I think people could help more if you listed what processes you've got as well as how much experience you have.

As far as some magic bucket of jobs for us hobby guys - I think we're all in the same boat trying to find it. My personal method is to just find friends/family who need stuff built/fixed and do it for the cost of the consumables/material and some beer/whiskey/tools/help doing manual labor around my property/etc. I also try to BS with some guys around at the farm supply stores and stuff like that. Do a real good job and if they ever talk to anybody who needs anything welded they'll forward them to you. Takes longer, but there's no real good way to just "go bid" on some small jobs that I can find w/o having licenses/insurance/etc (which we should probably have ANYWAY).

Honestly, a lot depends on your skill level and the equipment you have. If you just have a little 110v mig and a harbor freight grinder w/ a cuttoff wheel you probably wont be able to do most of the work people want to pay for. So many people can afford those little guys that everyone knows somebody with one who'll work for beer. If you want to really make money you'll probably have to step it up, or design something you can sell (lots of guys on here - if you search) build little artsy fartsy things for peoples yards etc. The problem w/ that is you can usually find something similar from China for 1/8 the price we can build it for.

If you're out to really make a profit I think you'll find it harder than it's worth for the weekend warrior - but it depends on how much you NEED the extra income. Best of luck and if you find some better markets - let us know!
    Last edited by mot krig; 11-17-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

What mot krig said.

Are you a guy with a 120V FCAW machine and an extension cord looking for work, or what do you have?

At that level, which I was at one time, word of mouth is by far the best way to get more work. I've done the ad in the paper (now even that requires a contractor's license here, though...) and USUALLY made enough to pay for the ad, sometimes several times over.

Put your location in your profile so it appears on your posts. It ALWAYS makes a difference for just about any question you ask.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Guy's

Here is a little about myself and what I have access to. I have been doing welding off and on for about 15 years, but not as a full time welder. One problem is I'm not a certified welder. I do wish I was though. I have done a lot of Mig, Tig and Arc welding on Stainless, Aluminum, and steel. Flat and Pipe. I have access to a full Machine shop. Manual Mills, Lathes, Bandsaw, Cutoff saw, 4' manual sheer, 4' manual brake, small heat treating oven, Millermatic 250 Mig welder, and Dialarc HF-P ac/dc water cooled tig and arc welder. Hopefully this will help some. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

You sound like me, except for the access to the machine shop. YOU SUCK!

I'm not certified by anybody either, except my customers. Just don't do ANYTHING outside of your skill level, and be damn sure about anything you do that will be on the road or in any way have thousands of dollars of liability involved. You may even turn down some jobs because of this. I do. I get enough work without having to worry about that kind of stuff.

I still don't know where you are, but try the local paper. Sometimes there is a section in the classifieds just for listing what kind of work you do.

Also, believe it or not, Craigslist MIGHT work, depending on where you are, again... (HINT, HINT)

Post Thanks / Like

OH, sorry. I'm in Arkansas, just Outside of Russellville, AR. For the company I work for right now I tig welder exhaust pipe for generators, I've built some brush guards for the military, and all the machine frames for our company. Not to say that some of the welding could'nt be better, but I'm fill I can do the work. I just need a little opportunities to show I can do it. Any more advise would be great, Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'd try craigslist then. I think people usually end up taking about 60% of the jobs from their CL add. You'll get a LOT of flakes and stuff, but if you sort through them and just take the jobs you can make money on - and add good word of mouth if you do excellent work, you'll get there. I dont think anybody builds a strong customer base in 2 months.

Also - you might be a little careful about using what you have access to for profit. In the shops I've worked in we were often allowed to work on our own projects but NOT allowed to run a business on tools that weren't ours. Not only would you be wearing on tools that aren't yours, you have to worry about the liability. I'm sure somebody could come back and take down your employer because you were using his tools for your weekend business.

Sorry to be negative - but sometimes its easy to overlook that stuff when you're excited about work! Anyway, if you dont have to worry about that stuff it sounds like you've got an AWESOME setup and potential to grow. I'd love to have access to all of that stuff for my personal projects!
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hj6577 View Post
    I work a full time job in the day and would like a little extra income.
    Wouldn't we all in this ecconomy...

I get the majority of jobs by word of mouth. It's taken me a few years to build up a decent client base though. Be aware with things like CL, there are pit falls. Read this thread by Dabar39 about his CL experience.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=35394

I've seen a lot of municipalities cracking down on unlicenced contractors and guys doing side jobs. Like the DOT cops, they are out there trying to collect revenue thats being "lost" as more and more traditional businesses die. That cuts their funding and they have to find new creative ways to supplement it. Usually it costs them nothing to just stop by somewhere they see a work truck and start asking for licences and insurance. The returns are huge when they snag someone who doesn't have all the requirements in order. Stings from CL adds and so on also can net them big returns so be careful.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Wow thanks for the heads up - i had no idea. That's a pretty crazy story - I'd have been mad as he11! Just one more reason to do your homework (MORE than just posting a quick question on this site!). I'm not licensed or anything, but I usually just build stuff for myself and sometimes family/friends want to buy it so I trade them something for it. Doesn't pay for my tools, but it helps lower my bill for my beer usually! I'll have to look into that more before doing anything more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Wouldn't we all in this ecconomy...

I get the majority of jobs by word of mouth. It's taken me a few years to build up a decent client base though. Be aware with things like CL, there are pit falls. Read this thread by Dabar39 about his CL experience.

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=35394

I've seen a lot of municipalities cracking down on unlicenced contractors and guys doing side jobs. Like the DOT cops, they are out there trying to collect revenue thats being "lost" as more and more traditional businesses die. That cuts their funding and they have to find new creative ways to supplement it. Usually it costs them nothing to just stop by somewhere they see a work truck and start asking for licences and insurance. The returns are huge when they snag someone who doesn't have all the requirements in order. Stings from CL adds and so on also can net them big returns so be careful.
    Millermatic 135
    Syncrowave 250

Post Thanks / Like

I thought that the dollar amount had to be so much before you have to have a contractors license. I do understand the pluming and electrical, I'm a licensed Electrician and the NEC codes and state codes require the licensing. Even with master electrical license has a dollar amount on what licensing you have to have. Anyway the key to sure when you take on work.

Post Thanks / Like

My welder is portable and Ive welded on some hey rakes and bailers. Also on some trailers, BUT not in a critical areas. I do alot of lawnmower stuff and most shops around here dont have a welder so I get some referals and from people I sell parts too.

Ill leave the on road stuff to the pro's. A man needs to know his limatations, but he shold tet them at times too!

Post Thanks / Like

Run down to the county clerk's office and get a DBA (doing business as) certificate and have it filed. (about $25) Start a bank account in your business name. Get some business cards printed and start passing them around. This establishes a sole proprietorship business and you will be able to deduct anything that you buy for your welding business. You can also deduct gas, mileage, and a percentage of your residence as office space. The more cards you get out there the more folks see your name. That's what I did. I don't do much right now because I'm a full time student but small stuff, hand rails, and repairs that don't require a lot of time are right up my alley.
    Stephen
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    Etc., etc., etc.............
    Cancer Sucks!

Post Thanks / Like

... I'm a licensed Electrician and the NEC codes ... require the licensing. ...
    Is that a typo? I'm aware of no such requirement in the NEC. My wife and I have been electricians for 15 years.

Post Thanks / Like

yes. The NEC it's self does not say that you have to have a licence. I do know that here in Arkansas the dollar amount determines what types of licences that you have to have to work. Not electrical licences, but licences like PE's, and levels of contractors licences. We built on to our shop here at work, and we brought in a licenced electrical contractor, but the dollar amount was to high for his licences, so he had to back out of the running for the job. Anyway, It's a good idea to have your licences in order before you do any type of work. That is for Electrical, welding, etc...

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing I can come up with for finding small jobs that dont require certifications, such as welding up a few farm implements or something to that nature, would be go out to a rural country store that has a bulletin board. Hang a flier that states "Welding for small jobs", state on it examples, like Tractor implement welding, or trailer repair. The jobs won't pay a million, but $10 here and $20 there, will add up. I'd avoid anything like fixing steel support beams for barns and things that may be a tad out of the skill level. I am a novice welder also, and trust me, I won't hesitate to tell somebody " Um, you need a Big Boy with a big truck"....

Post Thanks / Like

What dose it take to get certified to be a welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guy's

I just would like to know where a person could find some small welding jobs? I work a full time job in the day and would like a little extra income. If someone could point me in the right place to be able to bid on small jobs I would grateful. Thanks
    Your first step needs to be a a business license and proper insurance. Not to piss in your flakes but I cant stand "people" who take money out of my pocket without the proper paperwork. Get that, its a good start.

If you just want to weld lawnmowers and make yard art have at it. But if you want to "bid" on jobs your gonna have a lot of work and $$ ahead of you. Just my .02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jreynoldswelding View Post
    Your first step needs to be a a business license and proper insurance. Not to piss in your flakes but I cant stand "people" who take money out of my pocket without the proper paperwork. Get that, its a good start.

If you just want to weld lawnmowers and make yard art have at it. But if you want to "bid" on jobs your gonna have a lot of work and $$ ahead of you. Just my .02.
    Yea, just small crap jobs is what I was referring to. No way on a bid job. You got to have paperwork and insurance for that. That is what I meant by "Big boy with a Big boy Truck".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vince_o View Post
    What dose it take to get certified to be a welder?
    depends on what you want to be certified for, there MANY certifications for material type, process, position, ect. then there is AWS, ASME, MIL-STD ect.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a certified Welder in mig, tig, pipe welding and I just purchased all of my welding equipment, and pursuing to get me license and insurance to bid on. The Welding bid jobs is there any thing else I should be aware of while trying to fulfill my welding career?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronald18 View Post
    I'm a certified Welder in mig, tig, pipe welding and I just purchased all of my welding equipment, and pursuing to get me license and insurance to bid on. The Welding bid jobs is there any thing else I should be aware of while trying to fulfill my welding career?
    I would get on this forum's search function and type in "business", search titles only, and I think you'll find all the advice that you can use, and then some.

Looks like you've already started to do that since you just resurrected a 6 year old thread.

I'd suggest you read all those threads, then if you still have specific questions that you think weren't answered, ask them by starting your own thread. Asking your own questions in somebody else's thread is A) not going to get you as many answers, B) confusing to some people who aren't paying attention if it's an old thread, as they get all worked up trying to answer the original question that was already answered years ago, and C) slightly rude to the original poster, although around here we generally have thick skin about stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like

You could build ladder racks for pickup trucks. Trailers and farm equipment are always in need of repairs. The ramps on the trailers hinges, side rails for tools, tool boxes for stake trucks. I fix a lot of that stuff for my friend who owns a concrete business. They are always breaking things and most of them don't own a welder. Place an add on Craigslist or a local paper. Also check the local hardware stores for a cork board by the entrance. A lot of the smaller stores like ACE hardware have these boards where people put things for sale or services offered.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guy's

the reality is nobody going to pay you much and you are far better off getting a regular job. people see $100 welding machine and most have no ideal the real cost of most welding work
    critical welding that is does anybody care if weld broke .....people demand proven professional with known proven experience able to pass welding tests at anytime. like somebody wants a trailer for their $20,000 boat welded cheap by guy doesnt know what he doing and trailer breaks and his $20,000 boat goes down road and causes major accident
    or hand railing on deck somebody leans on it weld breaks person falls and is seriously injured or dead. like who would want even hand railing done by a amateur ??

Post Thanks / Like

I got my side business started through CL and word of mouth. Use VistaPrint for cheap (but good looking) business cards and give several out to each customer. Once I had a few decent projects under my belt, I had more work than I knew what to do with. I started at $40/hr. I went to $60/hr to weed out some of the small jobs, then ended up at $80/hr for shop work and $100/hr for field work.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller 252
    Miller 250x
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller AEAD200 Legend
    Miller 375 Xtreme plasma
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mot krig View Post
    build little artsy fartsy things for peoples yards etc. The problem w/ that is you can usually find something similar from China for 1/8 the price we can build it for.

If you're out to really make a profit I think you'll find it harder than it's worth for the weekend warrior - but it depends on how much you NEED the extra income. Best of luck and if you find some better markets - let us know!
    Yep, what he^ said.

And as stated previously, know your limits. Sure I have some experience and decent equipment but if someone asked me to weld a pipe line or something that's an absolute no go, best left to the pros who do it everyday.

Be creative, carve out a niche for yourself, and stick to that. Master it, then repeat.
    Last edited by Rhino; 12-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist