+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln Classic III Diesel Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln Classic III Diesel Questions

Picked up a '95 Lincoln Classic III Diesel this last weekend. It runs and welds great but I need to replace the idler solenoid. I have the new assembly to put in but I'm not completely sure how these things work. Code number on the machine is 10156. It was sitting for almost a year and has 2700 hours on it. If anyone has a photo of one correctly assembled and any tips on installing the new part I would really appreciate it. I'm also looking for information on the remote box that came with it. It's my understanding that I can wire up extension cords with the correct ends and that will work fine. Thanks in advance. This is my first machine so I've got a lot to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln Classic III Diesel Questions

Did the person that sold the machine not have the cord? I'm sure others will chime in but a 12 gauge 3 wire drop cord is the least expensive way to go except for the fact that both your machine and your remote have twist lock ends so you will either have to put twist lock ends on the cord or change the remote and machine to standard ends. You didn't ask, but with a small amount of work, a 4 wire cord and some new ends that ditch box would have a 120 volt outlet on it. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow... I hope you got a good price. Looks like the previous owner worked it all pretty hard.

Post Thanks / Like

Double post
    Last edited by HCF; 12-31-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gundog77 View Post
    Did the person that sold the machine not have the cord? I'm sure others will chime in but a 12 gauge 3 wire drop cord is the least expensive way to go except for the fact that both your machine and your remote have twist lock ends so you will either have to put twist lock ends on the cord or change the remote and machine to standard ends. You didn't ask, but with a small amount of work, a 4 wire cord and some new ends that ditch box would have a 120 volt outlet on it. Hope this helps.

The guy who used it all is no longer around. If I had more time to go through the garage it was in I'm sure I could have found the cord but I was ready to go before I found the remote. Haha. Thank you, I think I'm just going to go 3 wire.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Wow... I hope you got a good price. Looks like the previous owner worked it all pretty hard.
    I did pretty good. Mechanically it's in pretty good shape. Cosmetically, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Post Thanks / Like

If it runs good then a little gray paint ,stickers and if you want a fancy new face plate and it'll be pretty again. when you make up the new cord just be sure the wire terminals match up end for end.

Post Thanks / Like

cool machine, i almost had one but it was bought from under me.

the guy was sure to tell me how nice it welded. and how quiet it was
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    If it runs good then a little gray paint ,stickers and if you want a fancy new face plate and it'll be pretty again. when you make up the new cord just be sure the wire terminals match up end for end.
    It fires right up every time and welds great. It's just cosmetically ugly. A diamond in the rough I guess you could say. I picked it up for $2800 so I don't think its a bad machine at all. Thanks for the remote cord advice.
    Last edited by HCF; 01-01-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
    cool machine, i almost had one but it was bought from under me.

the guy was sure to tell me how nice it welded. and how quiet it was

This machine is surprisingly quiet. The only thing I can compare it to is a classic 200 and an SA-200 I ran at one of the local mills. I'm no pipeliner but I really like how these machines run 7018. After running a brand new trailblazer on thanksgiving I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy one. They don't have near the ocv power these dc generator machines have.

Post Thanks / Like

i run a trailblazer 98% of the time, and just when i think i have it all figured out, and it welds just fine, i fire up the sa 200 and im blown away.

good job on the classic III, the one i encountered was took for $4k, and had 3k or so hours. its actually the machine that was originally on my truck! it was supposed to sell together but while i was counting pennies, the other guy sniped the welder and most the leads. . . . .i envy the aux power and diesel.

does yours have the continental diesel in it or something else? perkins?
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

i run a trailblazer 98% of the time, and just when i think i have it all figured out, and it welds just fine, i fire up the sa 200 and im blown away.

good job on the classic III, the one i encountered was took for $4k, and had 3k or so hours. its actually the machine that was originally on my truck! it was supposed to sell together but while i was counting pennies, the other guy sniped the welder and most the leads. . . . .i envy the aux power and diesel.

does yours have the continental diesel in it or something else? perkins?
    It's the Continental tmd 27. The more I weld with this machine the less I want to go back to the Rangers and trailblazers at work. I'm hoping the company I work for will pay me for the machine when I'm in the field but if not, I'll just use it for side jobs. Getting leads rounded up and figuring out how to keep the tweakers away from them is my next project.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like we're in about the same boat. i dont have the cajones to do like many others have done and wait till they are busy and tell them im rigging out and demand rig-rates.

a few guys that work here that cant have a company issue vehicle are given a "truck allowance" to drive and maintain their own vehicles, but they are fully expected to haul material, trailers, welders, whatever. i dont see why a "machine allowance" wouldn't work in your case if your fair about the price. especially at a time when they may be considering buying a new machine.

i/ve thought about trying the truck/ machine allowance myself but i fear my rig doesn't quite fit the "standard" that this place has on trucks. standard meaning less than 10 yrs old, clean, white, and a ladder rack.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like we're in about the same boat. i dont have the cajones to do like many others have done and wait till they are busy and tell them im rigging out and demand rig-rates.

a few guys that work here that cant have a company issue vehicle are given a "truck allowance" to drive and maintain their own vehicles, but they are fully expected to haul material, trailers, welders, whatever. i dont see why a "machine allowance" wouldn't work in your case if your fair about the price. especially at a time when they may be considering buying a new machine.

i/ve thought about trying the truck/ machine allowance myself but i fear my rig doesn't quite fit the "standard" that this place has on trucks. standard meaning less than 10 yrs old, clean, white, and a ladder rack.
    Yeah. I don't even know what a fair rate would be for a machine like this. It would most likely be cheaper for my company to rent a trailblazer. Especially considering I'm not really willing to drag it out of my truck and into a mill somewhere.

I ran a bit of scratch start tig with it today after work and needless to say, I was really impressed with the arc it was throwing. Steady and stable. I got new motor mounts and a Murphy switch in the mail today so now I'm waiting on the faceplate. I'll update the thread with photos of how it all goes in if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one just like that. I don't remember it being all that quiet, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTIG View Post
    I had one just like that. I don't remember it being all that quiet, though.

Might be quieter than I think it should be? It doesn't seem to me that it's much louder than the trailblazers and ranger 305g's that the company owns. Not as quiet as a 300d though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist