+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PM800, no arc or losses arc. please help

Post Thanks / Like

PM800, no arc or losses arc. please help

Hello everyone,
    A good friend of mine gave me a PowerMax 800, he had been having problems with it and decided to buy a new cutter rather than fixing this one because of possible down time at his shop. A few months ago I used this cutter with no issues but now when it’s turned on I will get air and sometimes an arc, ( away or close to the metal) when it strikes an arc it will only be for a few seconds then it dies and I only get air. Other times it will only produce air but no arc. I'm fairly new to plasmas and i'm not sure where to start.

What I needed to do when I got it was change the ground cable, which I did I replaced the cable and clamp. I also had to replace the power line going into the machine. I am running the a 5hp 60 gal air compressor with 2 air/water separators and a desiccant dryer (I spray paint often) plus the air/water separator right at the back of the machine. Air pressure on the regulator at the machine is 70psi. as far as electrical it’s on its own breaker and both lights are green on the machine.

thank you for taking the time to read this, i appreciate any help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PM800, no arc or losses arc. please help

I have had that trouble with my 600. It turned out to be a failed solder joint in the torch connector. Disassembled it, re soldered, and it works fine. Have a trigger that is problematic now, but I bought a new torch, so I may just tinker with it later for a spare. I have also had a loose connection on the torch trigger wire inside the machine. I have had it and used it regularly for over 15 years.
    Also, you might make sure you put in a fresh set of consumables, including the little sleeve, as that hangs up time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you walker, upon a bit closer inspection I noticed the plug on the machine where the torch plugs in has its mounting tabs broken. So the plug kinda sits there and allows free movement. I could not see the connection behind it before I had to leave for work. I will try to find that replacement part today.

Also I was able to get a new swirl ring and electrode. Those were installed but the other parts were used.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would take a close, hard, look at the little wires on each connection on both sides of the plug then. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Small update while I'm at work. I called hypertherm, explained what it was doing they suggested I may have 2 issues one would be the control board, next the igbt. Both sound Greek to me but worse yet he said neither is available anymore. Does anyone know a way of testing these.

I will take the front cover off tonight and use some epoxy to Repair and remake the broken mounting points for the plug. Since that is also non existent new.

I hope I can get this fixed I really like the machine it's was smoother than a pakmaster 38 I had.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist