+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help getting an Airco Square Wave AC-DC 300 working correctly

Post Thanks / Like

Need help getting an Airco Square Wave AC-DC 300 working correctly

Picked up this machine on a trade for a 3/4" impact I got for free! Came with 25ft stick lead, and a water cooled torch with aux. water pump. The fellow didn't have a ground set up on it so he used the lead as a ground and sparked the TIG torch for me to show it worked. Good enough for me.

1 year later (today) I go to actually use it. Dad gave me a 50ft ground/stick cable. I shined up all connections and tried to use it on my trailer. I can get an arc to start, but then it starts flowing current like it's set on max setting! I think I've tried every combination of switches and dials. I know that I have to switch the small toggle above the ammeter from "preset" to "actual" to get an arc started. I've tried it with or without starting current. I have the high frequency off like I should for stick mode. I've played with all configurations for "background current" and the frequencies.

However, I need to turn the current down to about 16 amps (dial is all the way to the left, almost to zero) to get it to not blow up a 3/16" 6013 rod. I've tried AC, DCRP, and DCSP. Only difference is that AC buzzes like heck which is normal I think. At this level it's almost impossible to strike and arc. If I turn on the starting current and get it so it starts well, it stays on high amps it seems.

When I have it on 80-90a or so, it starts beautifully, but fades on to high amperage thats blowing holes in the steel.

Any suggestions? This is not my machine, but it is the same unit:

http://weldingweb.com/attachment.php...1&d=1226425458

Thanks in advance fellahs.
    Last edited by DZL_Damon; 11-30-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help getting an Airco Square Wave AC-DC 300 working correctly

Any ideas?
    -Airco 300 Square Wave AC-DC
    -Lincoln MIG 140HD 110v

Sadly just propane/Mapp gas... for now.

-Colchester/Clausing 13"x60" Student Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a three phase machine by chance, if so do you have three phase? If not do you have the input voltage setup correctly? Can't make out the controls from the pic.....Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure who made the unit but it may be the Airco version of a Miller Syncrowave 300. ??

Got a manual with it to review the troubleshooting chart and to make sure you have all controls/accessories set up correctly?

IF similar to the Miller Syncrowave, it sounds like a faulty hall device that senses output current and provides feed back to the control board to adjust output accordingly. No feed back and the unit goes to max because it "thinks" output is too low for the setting.

Does the AMPMETER register a higher reading than what the current setting is set for when it acts like it goes to "max"?

IF in fact it's hall device equipped and related, start by checking for a good connection at the HD harness plug.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

The machine was wired when I got it with a single phase plug, and the fellow I bought it from was using single phase.

This hall device sounds promising. Would it make sense that the TIG function with the foot pedal would work, but putting it in local (or "panel" as it's called on the machine I think) won't work correct? The fellow I bought it from showed me some projects he made with it, and he always used the TIG.

Then again, is this a sensitive device? It did ride in the back of my truck for the 200 mile trip back, maybe something jostled loose.

I'm going to thumb through that Syncrowave 300 manual. It looks similar, but I can see some knobs are different on the front. Maybe the internals are the same. Thanks a bunch fellahs.

-Luke
    -Lincoln MIG 140HD 110v

Post Thanks / Like

If it has a miller type serial number, miller made it Two letters followed by numbers.
    It might has been made by ESAB. Post the serial and stock number and we will try to help.
    You might be able to get a owners manual from arc products in San Diego Ca.

Post Thanks / Like

Whoops, been busy!

Code: 0933
    Serial: MH 405055
    Stock: 1341 0290

Lower on the tag is says: L&SP 5399

On the left side it says the manual is API-1942 and that the machine was made by the BOC Group in Murray Hill, NJ. Any of this ringing a bell to anyone? Thanks a bunch, and Merry Christmas everyone!
    -Lincoln MIG 140HD 110v

Post Thanks / Like

not a miller serial number. current date code is MA for 2010.
    Your best bet is contact arc products in san diego ca. and see if they have a manual for this unit. may or may not be a charge. ask to have it e-mailed.
    This is a newer airco.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I have it torn apart, and need to identify the hall device so I can test it.

Looking at the front:

Top panel flipped down, looking at the back of all the knobs:

Inside, just behind the knobs:

Left is the front, right is the back:

Back right corner of the machine, looking forward:

From right side of the machine looking at the back of the front, lower panel. The lower connection is for the pedal, the upper is just the 110vac:

Left side looking across:

Again:

L1 and L2 is power in:

And finally, tag information:

Thanks for any pointers guys. It looks like the number codes for the stock number ARE miller, but no one from miller has emailed me back about them. Finding a manual locally has been fruitless as well.

I'm not sure why I could not embed the image code in this forum, sorry for the links.
    Last edited by DZL_Damon; 06-24-2011 at 11:13 AM.
    -Lincoln MIG 140HD 110v

Post Thanks / Like

Call arc products 1-800-770-0063 ask for eddie. Give him the stock number and see what he can tell you. You might have a welder that was made in Japan. If Eddie can't help you might have to find BOC or whats left of them and see what they say.
    Look on the pcb and see it there is a part number. This might give us a clue.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I was wondering if the OP or anyone else ever found any documentation on this welder? I just picked up what I believe is the same thing. It came out of a fab shop that just upgraded a few welders. They said they were using it up til a few months ago. My biggest problem right now is that they removed the power cord to use on one of their new welders, and the connections are not intuitive. There is a diagram inside that shows how to jumper place the jumpers for the input voltage, but that's all I have. Also, I tried calling Eddie at Arc Products, and they refused to let me talk to him. They said they no longer have anything to do with Airco. Thanks in advance for any help.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

The plate says it's made by ESAB. Call them, they may still have info available.

John
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have same machine. Did you end up finding a manual?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist