Thread: Post Your Oxy-Fuel Outfits!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post Your Oxy-Fuel Outfits!

Op
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris T. View Post
    Here's mine
    Attachment 1183641
    Attachment 1183651

Not as nice as others but it works. Wanted to be able to use the hand truck if needed so built essentially a skid that attaches to it. Was kind of a quick throw together cart but the only drawback so far is the stupid tires keep going flat.

The cutting table has been more useful than I figured except It seems to hold my feeder better than material for cutting. Guess it's time to build another cart.
    Attachment 1183661

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Chris T you gave me the motivation to build a cutting table. ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    :

Post Thanks / Like

That looks pretty sweet... I need to get that motivated too!
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my welding station for OA welding. I primarily use the Meco Midget torch. The whole welding station is mounted to a pair of automatic locking pliers, so it can be clamped close to where I am welding, without a lot of fiddling around.

The basis of the welding station is a gas valve with an electronic igniter. The gas valve allows you to shut the torch off between welds, while keeping your gas settings. One quick touch of the torch to the electronic igniter (the black box at the top of the welding station) re-ignites the torch and lets you get back to welding quickly. The plate on the side of the welding station has room for a full set of tips for the Meco Midget. The plate is removable, so I can set the welding station up for a different torch, if needed.

The gas valve has a pilot flame built in, which draws acetylene off the fuel side of the valve. While I generally prefer the electronic igniter, I wanted the option of being able to use the pilot flame too. So, I offset the electronic igniter to allow access to the pilot flame.

As you can see, I work a lot with solid rivets. I've made a decision lately that if I don't make a mistake on a project, I'll go back and cut a piece out and add a 'riveted patch.' In this case, the 'on-purpose mistake is the v-shaped section which I patched with a piece of copper. The 'accidental' mistake flange I accidentally cut off and had to fabricate a new one and rivet it on (the flange keeping the electronic igniter from sliding sideways out of the bracket).

I've added a couple of things to the welding station since this last picture. I have a bracket on the back, which hold a couple of spare batteries for the electronic igniter, and a piezo igniter for the pilot flame. I also added a clip to hold a combination wrench, which is the correct size for the torch tips.

Kev
    Kevin / Machine_Punk from The Aerodrome Studio

- Lincoln PowerMIG 210 MP
    - Meco N Midget w/custom welding station
    - Vintage Victor 100

Current Projects: The Aerodrome Studio

Post Thanks / Like

That is sooo cool.... I like! Just curious though...does that gas valve upstream of the short hose give a quick enough shutoff to prevent burnback into the torch? Seems to me there's still gases in the hoses with an open valve at the handle...
    Last edited by whtbaron; 10-15-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Op

Chris T you gave me the motivation to build a cutting table. ...
    That table is AWESOME

Looks like yours has a hatch to empty the bottom which I really like but couldn't do the way mine had to be built so a shop vac is my cleaning system.

TOO MANY TOOLS & NO MORE SPACE

Post Thanks / Like

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris T. View Post
    That table is AWESOME

Looks like yours has a hatch to empty the bottom which I really like but couldn't do the way mine had to be built so a shop vac is my cleaning system.

I'm a low tech broom and dustpan kinda guy.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

O
    Quote Originally Posted by Machine_Punk View Post
    Here is my welding station for OA welding. I primarily use the Meco Midget torch. The whole welding station is mounted to a pair of automatic locking pliers, so it can be clamped close to where I am welding, without a lot of fiddling around.

The basis of the welding station is a gas valve with an electronic igniter. The gas valve allows you to shut the torch off between welds, while keeping your gas settings. One quick touch of the torch to the electronic igniter (the black box at the top of the welding station) re-ignites the torch and lets you get back to welding quickly. The plate on the side of the welding station has room for a full set of tips for the Meco Midget. The plate is removable, so I can set the welding station up for a different torch, if needed.

The gas valve has a pilot flame built in, which draws acetylene off the fuel side of the valve. While I generally prefer the electronic igniter, I wanted the option of being able to use the pilot flame too. So, I offset the electronic igniter to allow access to the pilot flame.

As you can see, I work a lot with solid rivets. I've made a decision lately that if I don't make a mistake on a project, I'll go back and cut a piece out and add a 'riveted patch.' In this case, the 'on-purpose mistake is the v-shaped section which I patched with a piece of copper. The 'accidental' mistake flange I accidentally cut off and had to fabricate a new one and rivet it on (the flange keeping the electronic igniter from sliding sideways out of the bracket).

I've added a couple of things to the welding station since this last picture. I have a bracket on the back, which hold a couple of spare batteries for the electronic igniter, and a piezo igniter for the pilot flame. I also added a clip to hold a combination wrench, which is the correct size for the torch tips.

Kev
    Awesome setup,Kev!
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    That is sooo cool.... I like! Just curious though...does that gas valve upstream of the short hose give a quick enough shutoff to prevent burnback into the torch? Seems to me there's still gases in the hoses with an open valve at the handle...
    Not sure I exactly understand your question, but there is a 'pop' every time you set the torch on the lever arm and it shuts off the gas. So, there probably is a quick backfire every time. Both gasses are being shut off at the same time and the pressure drops very quickly to normal atmospheric pressure at that point.

Here is another picture to show the whole setup, attached to cylinders. The green and red hose is coming from the cylinders, the tiny black hose is 'after' the valves and leads to the torch.

- Vintage Victor 100

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the additions I made to my welding station...

A bracket, attached to the back, which holds a spare set of batteries for the electronic igniter, a piezo igniter for the acetylene pilot light, and a block of wood, for cleaning the tip. (I know, sounds weird, until you try it. It was the way I was trained...quickly move the lit torch up to the block of wood, until it causes a backfire and pull the torch away.)

I wanted all the attachments to this welding station to be fire-proof and to hold items securely. For the battery and igniter bracket, I drilled the correctly-sized holes in the aluminum tubing, cut it in half, then brazed the sections of piano hinge on the ends, to give some clamping movement. A bit of #8 threaded rod applies the clamping force. You can release the igniter and batteries separately. The 1/4" aluminum rod is brazed between two aluminum bars to form a bracket for the wooden block (which is held in place by hex screws which use the same size wrench as the torch tips).

Then, I built an all-metal clip to hold the correct wrench for the torch tips. I started with the clamping piece from a regular bulldog clip, but replaced the plated steel pieces with aluminum and brazed it onto the back of the tip bracket. I shaped the thumb grip and hand-filed knurling on it.

(I'll fix the picture rotation soon...and download some 'daylight' pictures of the brackets)
    Kev

- Vintage Victor 100

Post Thanks / Like

Man, you all have some really nice cutting tables as well as great ideas for torch holders. For a cutting "platform," I go full "white trash" mode. I simply pull out two tall saw horses and lay a home made cutting grate resting on top, Then I just wheel the old metal wheel barrow underneath the grate, to catch all the dross and sparks. It works extremely well for me, but its NOT as purty as the ones I saw on this thread. One like CEP's table gave me an idea for the next project.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member