+ Reply to Thread

Thread: i need to make a 2 7/8' pipe spin slow for production cutting ..how?????

Post Thanks / Like

i need to make a 2 7/8' pipe spin slow for production cutting ..how?????

i have to cut a ton foe 2 7/8 pipe with a torch. what can u use to rotate the pipe remotely. something with a footpedal, variable speed and some adjustable jaws?
    face all times with a positive mental attitude,then and only then will you have done your best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: i need to make a 2 7/8' pipe spin slow for production cutting ..how?????

your looking at buying equipment. Its called an electric roll out. I would just get two roller head jack stands and get your cousin, nephew or son and help you roll it slowly. Use the pipe wrap to mark your cut with a paint pen or soap stone and cut it all with a band saw. Are you cutting the flared threaded heads off of drill stem pipe?

Post Thanks / Like

One of these.
    https://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?m...1221_1228_1232
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

danget CEP! I like that toy!!! how much does that run you? You got that Chuck from a lathe and modified it into a roll out?

Post Thanks / Like

Bought everything from Arc Zone.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I think the smallest I’ve burned is 4-inch pipe. But I’m sure it will cut smaller pipe too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

i've got about 2400 foot of coral to build, and i want to set the lenghts in the roller jacks and rotae slo enough to cut saddles and 90's, so something portable and variable speed is what i need.
    face all times with a positive mental attitude,then and only then will you have done your best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewDavenport89 View Post
    danget CEP! I like that toy!!! how much does that run you? You got that Chuck from a lathe and modified it into a roll out?
    It's called a weld positioner and they come in all sizes. Zap's got one he uses regularly. It shows up in a number of his roller rebuild threads. I think ZTfab has one as well. A lot of guys use chucks since they turn round stock, but I've seen them clamped up in other ways to hold irregular shaped items.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, so was it cheaper to put those together than buy an actual beveling machine? I know the beveling machines cost a pretty penny. Even used. And when you buy used I bet there has been some sore deals since they can get bent up being on a jobsite or gangbox. I like to hang mine up but when another crew gets out there and uses it they throw it in a box and bend the heads and tracks up. Chain will get loose and pinch and you cant turn the handle at a certain point. But I like this little design. How much would it cost compared to a conventional pipe beveling machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Rent or buy a pipe threading machine? Has pedal, spins slow, , has clamp system, has holder, is strong enough to hold lengths, is portable, can put pipe through to rear so threading section is not effected, cheap, can buy used. I think I've covered it all

Oops, I didn't...... can also cut pipe with pipe cutter and thread parts if needed!
    I think that covers it now.
    Last edited by Oneshot; 05-20-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

how slow will a pipe threader turn, can it crawl?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iron mike View Post
    how slow will a pipe threader turn, can it crawl?
    My Ridgid 300 is fast, I’d like to see the guy who could cut pipe with a torch on it!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

that's what i thought, i think i'll hire a topless model to turn turn the pipe slowly, at least then my eye's will get a break now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iron mike View Post
    that's what i thought, i think i'll hire a topless model to turn turn the pipe slowly, at least then my eye's will get a break now and then.
    Much better plan

I've seen people put a pipe wrench on them and use their other hand to turn them with the wrench - looked very controllable.

In a pinch, the topless model can pull on the wrench for you
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Much better plan

I've seen people put a pipe wrench on them and use their other hand to turn them with the wrench - looked very controllable.

In a pinch, the topless model can pull on the wrench for you
    I would like a topless model to pull my wrench.
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welderj View Post
    I would like a topless model to pull my wrench.
    Hahaha, I was waiting for someone to say it.
    Miller Maxstar 200 SD
    Piperliner #10 Gold

Post Thanks / Like

even if she could just hold it steady,all day long..

Post Thanks / Like

We had a guy up in Alaska that was real inventive. He made his own rollout positioner with a drill motor and some gears and a sewing machine foot pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

You could do it with an old wire feed drive motor too. Slow it down to almost nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, I did forget something.....

Since Rigid pipe threader motors have brushes, you'll need a speed controller if you want it to go slower than 12 rpm.
    It will cost you another 20 or so bucks though Where to get them > ebay, amazon, almost anywhere.

Oh, there's an electrical thread in these forums, I'm sure they could help with the controller.
    I guess you could go with the topless model but I don't think you would get any pipe cut......hehe
    Last edited by Oneshot; 05-20-2015 at 06:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist