Thread: need to be mounting tripod stands,roller stands in truck, best way?

Post Thanks / Like

need to be mounting tripod stands,roller stands in truck, best way?

what do you think is the best way to mount 8 tripods stands in the back of a welding rig ?
    face all times with a positive mental attitude,then and only then will you have done your best.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need to be mounting tripod stands,roller stands in truck, best way?

Depending on what condition and type you have, consider selling them and getting the fold up style. V-Head Pipe Stand, Pipe Capacity 24 In., Overall Height 28 In. to 49 In., Load Capacity 2500 lb., Material Steel, Leg Type Folding, Max. Leg Spread 22-1/4 In., Features Folds and Has Convenient Carrying Handle, Fold-A-Jack with V-Head
    V-Head Pipe Stand, 24 In. $80.34 /ea http://www.zoro.com/sumner-v-head-pi...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
    by SUMNER
    Technical Specifications
    Zoro #: G4415512 | Mfr #: 781300
    Material: Steel Features: Folds and Has Convenient Carrying Handle, Fold-A-Jack with V-Head
    Max. Leg Spread: 22-1/4" Pipe Capacity: 24"
    Leg Type: Folding Overall Height: 28" to 49"
    Load Capacity: 2500 lb. Item: V-Head Pipe Stand
    Zoro Number: G4415512 Mfr Number: 781300
    Attachment 1120781

Post Thanks / Like

that's what i have.
    face all times with a positive mental attitude,then and only then will you have done your best.

Post Thanks / Like

What does your rig bed space look like? I have seen this guy mount them on the sides all the way around before with a sort of pipe clamp that bolts together to the bed itself. The nuts were recessed into the side of the bed and welded on. Then the jackstand is put against it and a pipe clamp securely bolts to the bed and holds the jack stands really tight. I asked him if they bounce loose and he said go kick one. I kicked it and it didn't budge. He said he impacts them down when he leave the job site lol. They were fairly bulky surrounding the truck but I thought it was different and neat. He had all the bed space to put all types of equipment still.

Post Thanks / Like

pipe clamp? can you describe?

Post Thanks / Like

Look at your pipe jacks. The vertical is pipe. see what size it is exactly. Use flat bar and bend it so that it will sleeve over it. Drill a couple on the sides for bolt holes. That's what they guy had. Similar to this one. BUT there is a thread on here related to a guy that needed heavier duty pipe straps because these will break. He took flat bar and made a jig with a hydraulic press and pressed his own! Use like 3"x 1/4" flat bar and press your own to the size of your pipe jacks. Like I said it was a neat idea. It worked for him but maybe not for you. But he did have his truck bed space still And yours break down like the one in the picture above which will make them way less bulky looking hanging from the sides.

Name:  pipe clamp.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  7.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture005.jpg

Check that out. The fold up jacks like you got stationed in the middle.

Post Thanks / Like

http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...ht=pipe+clamps

Here is the thread on pipe straps. How he made them. You could make some larger ones to fit your pipe jacks. I don't know what your welding bed looks like but the one I saw had a fleet side. So he could mount the jacks off the side of the bed with pipe straps that bolted into the bed by having a nut recessed into it and welded out. When he finished a job he put them on the side and used an impact gun to secure them tightly. I think inside the strap he had rubber so it squeezed in nice and secure. His were straight up and down but you could angle yours at a 45 degree angle. He had a 6" lift kit. so he had plenty ground clearance. You might have to angle yours if your lower to the ground. You kind of get where im going with this explanation?

Post Thanks / Like

i like the idea of spearing them.

Post Thanks / Like

solved it, i install four 1 inch pipes 5 inches apart 16 inches high, i just slip the tripods over those spikes and it's good to go..

Post Thanks / Like

CA couple of observations. That's the first "pipe line rig" I have seen with a ranger / bobcat on it. I've seen company trucks set up that way but never a 798 or independent. I also noticed every thing looked pretty new. The other thing I noticed was it would seem that the jacks when stored on a stake like that would rattle like hell going down the road. I also noticed none of the jacks had the heads on them. Do they store in the boxes or some where else? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably would store them in the boxes. I just found that picture on the internet for an image to show. I think it would rattle too if they were just staked on there. That's why I thought the clamping them down would be better. Im telling you the guy I saw with them clamped had it looking pretty neat.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't mind the rattle, this job i'm on is near by and i need a simple organized way to put them way every night, spikes were simple, a few eye bolts and a cinch strap will improve it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some Summers Try prod jacks do you guys put grease on the threads? Or does the dirt affect them.

Post Thanks / Like

no, just keep'm clean, i've had four all out doors for six years now no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I could see problems with using oil or grease.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnrbauer View Post
    Thanks I could see problems with using oil or grease.
    John
    Dry graphite lube. Even a handy chuck of charcoal left over from the backyard fire pit will work in a pinch.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

Post Thanks / Like

What capacity is your crane? That looks interesting. I would like to know how well that works and what you usually pick up with it.
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

about 700 pounds the way it is there, manual piston, i just extended the boom and put a 1200# electric cable winch on it today, i've got to lift a lot of pipes one at a time out of a bundle and place them on a set of tripod rollers to cut into sections as fence postswith saddles and sucker rod holes, each pipe is about 180 pounds, so the reduced capacity with the boom length will serve just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I see. I have been wanting to build something like that for my truck. I have been debating a gin pole, but that would be sort of useless to actually load something on the truck. I might have to build something like you have. That looks mighty handy. Did you build a bearing in the swing at the base?
    SA-250 TMD
    Squarewave 200
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    1951 G.E. welder

Post Thanks / Like

no, just a sleeve, but there are two teflon washers sandwiched between the base plates, works great.