+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Dump Trailer Build

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom Dump Trailer Build

Quote Originally Posted by sancobg View Post
    I just knew someone would want pics right away--so here we go ....

Axle Fab
    This is an easy straight forward build with some options on how to build them. The hubs and rotor disc will be 8 lug with 6.5 bolt pattern. This is the most common in 1980's and 1990's trucks. Later units with 8 lug pattern are metric, slightly larger than the 6.5 and require the appropriate wheel. The much larger Dana 44 hubs are used with the Dana 44 front spindle.

Parts List
    Dana 44 front spindle with 3" recess on the back (2 req'd per axle)

Continued .....
    Hi Paul,

This build really has my attention. I was hoping you could elaborate more on the spindles you used for this (make, year) or what spindles would work. I would assume that complete front spindle assemblies from a ford with disc brakes would be the best way to go. My research on Dana 44 front spindles left me confused. I would be using GM steel rally rims to match my 2500 and assume these rims would bolt onto ford 8 bolt hubs with no problem.

Troy
    Last edited by cubevandude; 08-02-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cubevandude View Post
    Hi Paul,

This build really has my attention. I was hoping you could elaborate more on the spindles you used for this (make, year) or what spindles would work. I would assume that complete front spindle assemblies from a ford with disc brakes would be the best way to go. My research on Dana 44 front spindles left me confused. I would be using GM steel rally rims to match my 2500 and assume these rims would bolt onto ford 8 bolt hubs with no problem.

Troy
    Chevy wheels won't fit on late model ford hubs.
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by welderj View Post
    Chevy wheels won't fit on late model ford hubs.
    You are right. However the Ford hubs that fit a 44 are the old 8x6.5 bolt pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know. I will sit back and enjoy the build, and learn a few things.

Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Wheels
    Chevy, Dodge and Ford use the large opening in the wheel to center the wheel on the hub. Dodge has the smallest, followed by Chevy and Ford has the largest. While the Ford wheels will go on to a Chevy or Dodge hub, the wheel is not maintained centric to the axle. I have seen wheel bolt holes get egg-shaped or break studs. It's best to use the proper wheel made for the hub you are using.

Trailer Axles
    The nice part of using a Dana 30, 44 or 60 spindle is that the outer bearing is the same. Depending on the vehicle you obtain the hubs from, there may be a difference in the size of the inner bearing. Using a bearing chart from Timken, you can determine the correct size bearing to use. The setup with the Dana 44 gives a gross weight capacity of 8,000 lbs (dual axles). If you want more capacity yo will need to step up to a #99, #120 or #160 and a 5-1/2" tube.

You can always purchase factory spindles. Here are a few examples at http://www.al-ko.us/download/FULLCATALOG(1).pdf

If you have something specific to ask about the axle build, ask away.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I want to get back to working on my trailer project. It's been 6 weeks since I go out of the hospital. Still have a few issues with speech, stamina and total lack of energy.

The irregular hear beat I acquired as a result of the viral pneumonia is really doing a number on my blood pressure. Getting better slowly.

I will be starting on the hoist and drawing up each piece and have them plasma cut. want it ready when the cross members and deck is on the trailer.

A few of you voiced your concerns about the amount of over hang on the trailer---- I totally agree. The trailer I have built will become a 500 gallon water hauler. I have enough material to build two more trailer chassis, one of which will be a goose neck trailer.

I just need to get back to work as soon as possible.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you make a full and speedy recovery.
    "The reason we are here is that we are not all there"

SA 200
    Idealarc TM 300 300
    MM 200
    MM 251

30a Spoolgun
    Precision Tig 375
    Invertec V350 Pro
    SC-32 CS 12 Wire Feeder
    Oxweld/Purox O/A
    ArcAir
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    LN25

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear from you again

Post Thanks / Like

Will be anxious to see the hoist build but not at the expense of a relapse. I moved a little too soon after back surgery and paid the price, steady as she goes Paul.
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Things have not been much better since my last post. Starting June 3, 2015, I have been hospitalized 6 times with pneumonia and have been out of the hospital for two weeks now. Didn't realize how much muscle mass and strength you can loose laying on your back.

Want to get back on the project and finish it. Winter is already here and freezing weather will be upon us in a few weeks.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear this.

Best wishes for your continued recovery
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, sorry to hear about all you going through. You will be in my prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you are feeling better

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a long while since I started this project, just need to get back to work.

Since June 3rd, I have been hospitalized 7 times. It was because my blood pressure was too high or too low.

After I was released the last time, the wife and I started to question why I was in a yoyo cycle. Stopped taking the blood pressure meds. For the next 12 days all readings were in the normal range. Over the next 3 days, my blood pressure became slightly elevated.

In researching what and how each med affected blood pressure, we divided the meds into three groups--mild to very potent. Its been 60 days now that I have managed my own health care and I've recouped to about 70% of what I used to be.

Met with my VA doctor in mid December. I am on a device that monitors my blood pressure and weight remotely. The Doc had the data in front of him and said, "This is great." I then told him what my wife and I were doing to keep my blood pressure under control. He looked irritated, and then he said, "Just keep doing what you're doing. It seems to be working well."

I just have to wonder how many other people are over medicated and aren't aware of it.

Trailer Progress
    After re-reading my earlier posts, I indicated that I was using Dana front spindles. What I forgot was to state that I was using the rear hubs on the axles. Because the rear bearings are much larger than the front spindle bearings, I made bearing and oil seal bushings to be press fitted on to the spindles and just for good measure, I used RED Loctite before pressing them on.

I will post pics on my next post.

I have also had many requests to provide more detail on the axle fab--coming soon.

Paul
    Last edited by sancobg; 01-06-2016 at 04:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a roller coaster ride you been on! Good to hear from you and glad your doing better. I agree with you I think doctors over medicate all the time. It sounds like your wife is a better Doctor then the one you had. I will pray you continue to feel better and like most I am excited to read about your trailer build.

Post Thanks / Like

A while back I had my Millermatic 250 stolen and I was determined to replace it.

Purchased one sight unseen from the Uvalde TX School District for $350 and another $130 to have it shipped to Albuq. Plugged it in and the wire feeder worked fine however there was no power for welding. Using the Miller manual I was able to troubleshoot the unit and found VR-1 connected to CR-1 had a burnt varistor. The part was $5.54 from Miller.

By the looks of the machine, it has more miles on its castors than actual welding time. A lot of school districts auction of their equipment as soon as it stops working no matter how minor the issue may be.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say THANK YOU to all the forum members that have expressed their "Get Well" wishes during my bout with pneumonia and irregular heart beat. It's been a year since I was active on my trailer build. I was hospitalized a total of 13 times and now have a pace maker in my chest. This will definitely put a damper on welding for me unless someone knows a way around the issue.

I'm still not 100%, but well enough to want to get back into mix. The trailer project sat idle the entire time and last week I was determined to try and finish the project. The purpose of the trailer has changed. I had rented a storage space and had it for 22 years and the owner passed away. The daughter wants to sell the M-1 Industrial property and has booted us out. I also have to move my 3 horses. The location where I will be keeping the horses has no water and it's $40,000 to drill a well 1,000 feet deep. Gona have to haul water for the horses. There is a county water fill station just a mile away from the property and the trailer will now be used to hold a 500 gal water tank.

I will take pics of the progress and include them in my next post.

Again, thank you for being concerned and wishing me well.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, Glad your on the mend. Sorry for your situation. Hopefully you can find a way with your pacemaker.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul, So very pleased to see ya around. Was looking your thread over a couple of days ago.

I to have battled irregular heart beat for several decades. The side affects really made me feel lousy, but after a couple of ablations and meds, doing much better. I dunno, but I heard there is a vest one can obtain that shields your chest, not sure and that would obviously take a good deal of research. Anyway that is the least of your concern at the moment, just pleased you are up and about.

God BLess
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

Here are some progress Pics

Attachment 1582441
    Attachment 1582451
    Attachment 1582461
    Attachment 1582471
    Attachment 1582481

Took about 4 hours to complete the electrical. For those of you who have worked with trailers, you know how troublesome loose and hanging wires can be. Loose or unreliable grounds are the #1 problem with trailer lights. The weather tight junction box is the only break point in the electrical system. Grounded at 3 points including a wire run to the truck chassis.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a pic of the cross members. Haven't decided what type of deck to put on it.

Name:  Trailer Frame Cross Braces.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  67.7 KB

Open items not completed
    Trailer Deck
    Jack
    Safety Chains
    Set of ST tires (Load Range J)
    Brakes
    Side Pockets at deck height ?????
    Install raised side panels ????

Took the trailer for a test ride and it tows really well. As it sits, there is only about 150 pounds of weight at the tongue. Loads will have to be centered over the wheels. Overall I'm very please with the way it's coming along.
    Last edited by sancobg; 01-02-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: sp

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you who were waiting for the scissor hoist, here are a few cad drawings I put together,

Nice thing about any cad is that you can rotate the components and be assured that everything will clear before you ever build it. The cylinder length that most manufacturers use for a cylinder is a 24".

Name:  Scissor Hoist A.JPG
Views: 1285
Size:  34.0 KB

Name:  Scissor Hoist B.JPG
Views: 1225
Size:  21.9 KB

Name:  Scissor Hoist C.JPG
Views: 1236
Size:  33.4 KB
    Last edited by sancobg; 01-02-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

I have finally got back to finish up on the trailer build .... been 2 years. My health has stabilized at about 50% of what it used to be. Everything is at a slower pace and takes twice as long as it should.

I installed new bearings and races on all 4 wheels as well as new grease seals. I can't believe the cost difference of hardware between an auto parts store and a trailer supply. B & J Trailers here in Albuquerque is about 1/3 the cost for the same bearings (Timken or SKF) from an autoparts store.

Still need to install the disc brakes and lines. Will also be adding a few more cross members and a stiffener at the bend on the tongue. Just as a bit of ins

Fabricated end caps for the axles and added a grease fitting. Could also have gone with oil bath.

Photos will follow in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad tomsee your back and working again. Looking at your main frame is see some things I would change. The crossmembers near the suspension should be at the spring hangers and full height so the are attatched to both the upper and lower flanges of the side rail. Without theat you can get fatigue cracking like this.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-05-17-09-33-02-1.png
Views: 992
Size:  538.0 KBName:  Screenshot_2015-08-23-22-44-49.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  71.8 KB

Your crossmember in front is also in the wrong spot and can result in failure of your tongue too. This is a more likely spot for failure for you as this one is particularly far off and will allow the bend in the frame to flex and fail. You may get by with the ones at the suspension, but I don't see the front one holding up to any kind of significant load. Here are some drawings I did up previously to explain how that works and why your design might fail.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-08-23-22-20-58-1.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  63.8 KBAttachment 1670581

Jon
    Last edited by welderj; 05-28-2017 at 10:20 AM.
    Yeah, I know, but it'll be ok!

Lincoln Square wave 255
    Miller Vintage mig
    30a spoolgun
    Thermal Dynamics Pacmaster 100xl plasma
    Smith mc torch
    Ellis 1600 band saw

Post Thanks / Like

Welder J,

Thanks for the tips on the trailer fab. I still have some additional stringers and gussets to install.

My string of bad luck continues. I had a Landa 2000 pressure washer and 300 gal tank on a trailer. I had been using the rig to water my 3 horses as there is no water on the 37 acres (dry NM). Someone torched my gate and took off with it. The previous week I had 30 sheets of roofing material take a walk as well.

I have a 500 gal elliptical tank that is un-mounted. My wife thought she had a brilliant idea. She suggested that I use the trailer I am working on until I can replace it with something else. hummmm .......

Here are a few progress picks
    Name:  DSC00175.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  85.6 KB
    I fabricated caps for the hubs and added a zerk fitting for greasing the bearings. I could have gone with oil bath as well

Name:  DSC00173.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  106.2 KB
    This is the completed and installed hub assembly. Really like how smooth they rotate. Had a difficult time finding 2" spindle washers locally and the ones I did get needed modification to fit the guide on the spindle.

Name:  Trailer Lts Junction.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  68.5 KB
    Name:  Trailer Lts-1.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  100.3 KB
    Electrical on any trailer always becomes a problem after a few years of use. I found the junction boxes with grommet seals for about $10 and ran conduit to the coupler. If anything, it looks clean.
    Last edited by sancobg; 05-28-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: sp

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist