Thread: Nuts for the output terminals of a Dialarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Nuts for the output terminals of a Dialarc 250

Hello,

I've called myself searching the .pdf manuals from the Miller website, but I can't seem to find a part number or information about the nuts that go on the output terminals for a late-model Dialarc 250. Does anyone here know if they need to be of a particular composition, such as bronze, or if there is a specific Miller replacement part? When I bought a Dialarc it had what appears to be zinc-plated steel nuts on the DC output terminals, but none on the AC terminals. I've been wanting to put Lenco quick-connects on all four terminals, and would like to use the correct nuts, if it truly makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nuts for the output terminals of a Dialarc 250

Hello Carl, the answer might go something like this: you can take the time and expend the energy to find the direct replacement flanged-style nuts that are used for that purpose (and pay the $ also) or else you can simply purchase some flanged nuts or use flat washers, lock washers, and nuts and attach your connectors to the appropriate terminals with them. Either way if you connect the terminals snugly they will work just fine. If memory serves me correctly, there is a copper strip with the stud passing through it that these connections are made to. Placing the terminal connector over the stud will provide for contact with this copper surface and the surface of your terminal lug connector. Good luck and best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Allan,

Thank you for the reply. I didn't know that the original nuts were flanged, so that will be helpful if I keep looking for the specific ones. However, I may do as you mentioned, just get some good quality nuts, and worry more about the electrical connection than the pedigree of the components.

Thanks again,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

when I purchased my two syncrowaves, they only had one nut total on them, and three were missing. I just went to home depot and found a similar nut with the same thread (5/8ths thread I believe if my memory is correct). I didn't even bother with washers. I have ring connectors soldered onto the cables which are about 1 foot long and female dinse on the other end. I didn't bother with any kind of washer, didn't need it. The replacement nuts take a 3/4 inch wrench I believe. I have never had an issue.
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Standard 1/2-13 USS thread.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Tractor Supply carries the flange head 1/2-13 NC nuts in their fastener section. They will be in the drawer bins above the bulk nuts and bolts. I use them on rebuilt machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Louie1961,

Thank you for the reply. That is a similar setup to the one that came on the Dialarc, but I'm hoping to tuck everything under the cover, and extend it to the AC terminals as well. I'm hoping the 45 degree Lenco/Tweco female connectors will fit under the cover okay--I may get one to try, and then order the remaining three if it fits. If everything works, I'll post the results on this forum in case anyone else is curious.

It's a bit of a shame to do it that way, though, since I ran across a good deal on a big Greenlee crimper. I've been itching to try it out, but I'm sure the need will arise at some point. That's been my rationale for a lot of tools so far...

Thanks again,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

Duaneb55,

Thanks for the diameter and thread pitch information. When I print out the manual, I'm going to jot that down in it.

Thanks again,
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like

7A749,

Thanks for the information on the type of nut, and also the tip on where to find small quantities of it. I looked at a few online sites, and for the ones that would even sell small quantities, the shipping was considerably more than the cost of the nuts.

On an unrelated note, I've heard that you're the one to check with when I start looking for a GMAW rig. I still have a long way to go with stick welding first, but hopefully we can talk some business someday.

Thanks again,
    Carl